What's new

Bourbon drinkers. What is your favorite?

4R small batch is a good one. I also like Evan Williams single barrel, Buffalo Trace, and Knob Creek.

I think my favorite though is Woodford Reserve.

Old Weller Antique has become my favorite sub $30 bourbon. I really like Booker's but the price keeps me from drinking it on the regular. BTW, when did Basil Hayden's get so expensive? I used to buy it more often before the price jumped.

If you like Basil Hayden...buy Old Grand Dad instead. It is the same mash bill as Basil, just cheaper. The 114 proof stuff is really excellent

I have a bottles of Old Grand Dad 101 Bottled in Bond and the 114 in the house now. OGD101BOB is good but I think Basil Hayden's is far superior. I'm on my second bottle of the 114 and I won't be buying a third, might sound odd but it tastes too much like scotch to me.

Dollar for dollar it is very hard to beat Buffalo Trace. That is my usual go to and I typically drink it neat.

I am also a fan of Jefferson's Presidential Select 17 yr., Woodford Reserve Double Oak, Four Roses Small Batch, and Blanton's.

Breckenridge Distillery makes a surprisingly good bourbon too.

I just picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and am loving it!

+1

I tend to like high rye bourbons, so my favorites are

Every day: Evan Williams Single Barrel - Each of the last three years have been a little different, but each has been very tasty. <$20 a bottle where I shop.

Special: Four Roses Single Barrel

Dollar for dollar it is very hard to beat Buffalo Trace. That is my usual go to and I typically drink it neat.

I am also a fan of Jefferson's Presidential Select 17 yr., Woodford Reserve Double Oak, Four Roses Small Batch, and Blanton's.

Breckenridge Distillery makes a surprisingly good bourbon too.

You are very lucky to have that JPS 17!!

It was a very lucky find and was by far the best I've had yet. I also haven't been able to find a bottle again since.

I really want to get my hands on a bottle of Pappy but it's extremely difficult to get in my area and even the 12 fetches astronomical prices.

I also forgot to mention the Blanton's Straight From The Barrel is very good once you get past the burn of the high alcohol content. Probably the second best I've had yet.

If you like Basil Hayden...buy Old Grand Dad instead. It is the same mash bill as Basil, just cheaper. The 114 proof stuff is really excellent

Yep! OGD's the stuff. Lucky for me, the local liquor store seems to have CASES of the 86 proof, in addition to the new 80 proof stuff. The 114 is to die for, or from, I suppose.

Old Charter's quite the nice little tipple, too, and, like OGD, has been in my family's liquor cabinets since "Fiat lux."

Yes, yes, I know - these aren't boutique bourbons, and you probably won't impress anyone when you drop their names, but pour a man a drink from any of these, and he'll thank you.

It's like Faulkner said: "There's no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others."

Yep! OGD's the stuff. Lucky for me, the local liquor store seems to have CASES of the 86 proof, in addition to the new 80 proof stuff. The 114 is to die for, or from, I suppose.

Old Charter's quite the nice little tipple, too, and, like OGD, has been in my family's liquor cabinets since "Fiat lux."

Yes, yes, I know - these aren't boutique bourbons, and you probably won't impress anyone when you drop their names, but pour a man a drink from any of these, and he'll thank you.

It's like Faulkner said: "There's no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others."

I am a big fan of the Old Charter too. I was out dusty hunting recently and found some 1970's and 1980's OC8 and OC10. It is delicious stuff! Some of the dusty bottles are far superior to the new "boutique" stuff

I just picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and am loving it!

A dear friend of mine visited the Four Roses Distillery in December and brought be back a bottle of Single Barrel signed by the Master Distiller! I haven't opened it yet but I sure am looking forward to doing so for a special occasion!

I am currently enjoying Four Roses Yellow label.

Came home today with a bottle of Col E.H. Taylor Small Batch. It got good reviews from my boy in Georgia and he does know his bourbpn. (Apple didn't fall far from the tree). Figured it was worth a shout.

$EHT-smallbatch.png

AcmeMfg, I'll be interested to hear your take on the Taylor; I tried bottles of the Single Barrel, Small Batch, and Rye around this time last year. Wasn't able to locate any of the Tornado juice that was supposed to be outstanding.

Top Bottom