What's new

Bourbon drinkers. What is your favorite?

Garrison Brothers Bourbon made in Hye, TX. Give it a try if you ever come across it. I'd put it up there with Maker's Mark or Knob Creek.

Garrison Brothers Bourbon made in Hye, TX. Give it a try if you ever come across it. I'd put it up there with Maker's Mark or Knob Creek.

I have had a hard time getting on board with Garrison Brothers. While I respect what Jim Garrison is trying to do, $80 for a 2 year old whiskey is tough to swallow. I have only tasted once, but it was really really young to me. I will be interested to see what they put out when those barrels have aged for a few more years

I have had a hard time getting on board with Garrison Brothers. While I respect what Jim Garrison is trying to do, $80 for a 2 year old whiskey is tough to swallow. I have only tasted once, but it was really really young to me. I will be interested to see what they put out when those barrels have aged for a few more years

I have to agree.

To you guys listing Pappy, congrats on being able to find it. Right now I am really enjoying Four Roses (Single Barrel or Small Batch), Blanton's single barrel and Angel's Envy. There are just so, so many good bourbons on the scene right now.

To you guys listing Pappy, congrats on being able to find it. Right now I am really enjoying Four Roses (Single Barrel or Small Batch), Blanton's single barrel and Angel's Envy. There are just so, so many good bourbons on the scene right now.

Redbird, don't sweat not having access to Pappy. The 12yo and 20yo are WAY overrated to me (I do love the 15yo, though). I was lucky enough to strike up a conversation with the exact right person at a local state store late 2012, and ended up with three bottles of Pappy's that year, one each of the 12/15/20. I had the same access this past year, but passed to give someone else a shot.

I pour myself a 15yo on special occasions, my father-in-law the 20yo when he visits, and anyone who wants to try it the 12yo. You'd be surprised at how many people beg off with a "I wouldn't appreciate it"! It's just whiskey, folks.

As has been mentioned in this thread already, the W.L. Weller wheated bourbons (12yo and Antique, especially) are great, much less expensive than PVW, and are made from the exact same mashbill in the same distillery.

Pappy's certainly has the 'unicorn tears' cachet, and it's good whiskey, no doubt, just not as good as it's made out to be. The last sentence of your post is spot on.

I understand it's much easier to make that statement with access, and I hope you get your hands on a bottle or two to draw your own conclusions.

There is no doubt that Pappy is overhyped and overpriced but it is still the best pour I have. I can't think of a single bourbon I prefer to Pappy 15... and I have had a few.

There is no doubt that Pappy is overhyped and overpriced but it is still the best pour I have. I can't think of a single bourbon I prefer to Pappy 15... and I have had a few.

Agreed on the 15. I imagine I'll wish I had bought a bottle this past November if I run out before this fall...

I like rye whiskey, and bourbons with rye in the mashbill, so it's probably easier for me to pass on Pappy's.

OldAF, what do you think makes the difference on the 15yo? It can't all be the higher proof, can it? I know the 15 just means that the youngest juice in the bottling is at least 15 years old and so is not necessarily the "age" of the whiskey, but I get spicier notes from the 15 than the 20.

Edit: And OldAF is the man to listen to when it comes to whiskey...:thumbup1:

Last edited:
OldAF, what do you think makes the difference on the 15yo? It can't all be the higher proof, can it? I know the 15 just means that the youngest juice in the bottling is at least 15 years old and so is not necessarily the "age" of the whiskey, but I get spicier notes from the 15 than the 20.

I suspect a lot of it is the higher proof and of course warehouse placement plays a large part. The highest floors get hotter and the wood expands imparting more "wood" to the whiskey. There are also "sweet spots" on the floors which seem to produce a slightly better blend... or so I'm told. I expect the distillery has it down to a science. Having said that, I give full credit to the skilled folks who masterfully blend this outstanding whiskey. All this talk about Pappy... I'll have to have a glass tonight.

Edit: And OldAF is the man to listen to when it comes to whiskey...:thumbup1:

Heh. You give me to much credit. I'm just a fan of good bourbon, as you are. You just think that because we have similar taste. :wink2: Speaking of which, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the 2004 bottling of Evan Williams Single Barrel. I've heard it is overly sweet. I tend to like sweet but not of they overdo it.

IAll this talk about Pappy... I'll have to have a glass tonight.

Coincidentally, the in-laws are here tonight. I'll hoist a glass of 15yo in your honor.

Heh. You give me to much credit. I'm just a fan of good bourbon, as you are. You just think that because we have similar taste. :wink2: Speaking of which, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the 2004 bottling of Evan Williams Single Barrel. I've heard it is overly sweet. I tend to like sweet but not of they overdo it.

Interesting. I picked up a couple of cases (only 6 per, because of the fat bottle; $20 each is one of the best values out there) of the 2003 when in Atlanta in late October. i won't have the 2004 for a few more months, but will report on it when I get it. I'm going to make an effort to not bogart the whiskey as I've done with prior bottlings, and save one last bottle to compare to future offerings.

I'm a Makers Mark fan, but now that they've been bought out from across the pond, I may have to try something else.

I'm a Makers Mark fan, but now that they've been bought out from across the pond, I may have to try something else.

I love makers 46, but just can't seem to find a nice bourbon while stationed overseas. Sigh, it's the little things you miss! This thread has had me salivating like my bulldog waiting on dinner! Lol

I found a half full bottle of Knob Creek I forgot I had last night. It's not half full any more. It's a good one.

Makers Mark is the normal go favorite but...

I am looking forward to next year. My dear spouse presented me with a bottle of Very, Very Old Fitzgerald. Barrelled in 1954 (my birth year) bottled in 1967. As I understand, this is the finest bourbon ever made. I have turned down offers of over $1500 for it.
My plan is to retire next year, on that day, I will gather a few friends, break the seal and toast the next phase of my life.
al in colorado

$IMG_0537.jpg

For sipping straight, Woodford Reserve is my favorite. For use in mixed drinks, such as a Manhattan, Tom Sims 6 year old is my choice.

Makers Mark is the normal go favorite but...

I am looking forward to next year. My dear spouse presented me with a bottle of Very, Very Old Fitzgerald. Barrelled in 1954 (my birth year) bottled in 1967. As I understand, this is the finest bourbon ever made. I have turned down offers of over $1500 for it.
My plan is to retire next year, on that day, I will gather a few friends, break the seal and toast the next phase of my life.
al in colorado

View attachment 413864

Great bottle you got there!

Top Bottom