What's new

Bottles to Decant? (Glass vs. Plastic)

Here is my witch hazel bottle that started out life as an olive oil bottle from the early 1900's. It is embossed "Re Umberto" and "Peer-Amid Bottles".

Turns out the original paper label showed Umberto in all his glory with the most insanely epic mustache in the history of olive oil. Would have been perfect if it had survived.

I really like the "peer-amid" shape, very stable and hard to topple over.

The orafice is relatively small, bu I reduced it with a rubber chassis grommet that I shaved down on one side. Now it is the perfect size to dole out three dashes into your palm.

$bottle.JPG$bottle2.JPG$bottle3.JPG

Cheers!

Score!
Got them all cleaned up nice with water, scrubbing bubbles and grain alcohol.... Unfortunately the cap for the skin bracer bottle (which I stole from another bottle in the antique store) isn't watertight. Hopefully I can find an o-ring to fix that.

I am going to decant some of my aftershaves from plastic into glass. I got some hot sauce from my local Dollar Tree and will use the bottles. I usually leave my aftershave on my bathroom sink, exposed to sunlight, so I am wondering if it matters if I use clear glass. A lot of the cool bottles in this thread are clear, but I am not sure if they are stored out of sunlight when not being used. Does it matter that much?

My cholula bottle turned Aqua Velva. Need to find a vintage AV label to print and replace my crooked attempt. Any one know where to find a printable vintage AV logo?
$20140225_131327.jpg

Isn't the use of plastic preferred? Chemicals, such as lead and other undesired metal could leech out of the glass by its contact with the alcohol in the aftershave?
Would plastic be more non reactive?

Yes you wouldn't want to store your aftershave in leaded glass, but in my particular case it's an old hot sauce bottle which is not leaded and would leech far less than the plastic bottle the AS came in.

I think your label looks great. Did you take it from the original container? If so, why can't you just re-position it?

I think your label looks great. Did you take it from the original container? If so, why can't you just re-position it?
Yeah I did take it from the original container. I prefer the vintage label that's all. I am holding out that I will eventually come across a vintage bottle of AV at some point

Have to recommend against using liquor bottles. I remember a news story where kids got into a car where the owner had antifreeze stored in a wine bottle. The kids, not knowing what wine was supposed to taste like, poisoned themselves. Same thing could happen with AS in a whisky bottle.

I don't know if they have Big Lot's where you live. They have some nice glass bottles with bar type pour stoppers. There priced at 3.00 . I just purchased one to Decanter the Magic Pinaud Potion Lilac Vegetal After Shave.

Warranted Flask, half pint, half Clubman Special Reserve and half English Leather. A Clubman orifice reducer was pushed down the neck of the flask.

Iron Horse, nice flask bottle you rigged up, including the reducer.
It got me thinking, which is always dangerous...but would a metal hip flask work, or would the metal screw up the aftershave and vice versa?
No, I didn't take Chemistry in high school...why do you ask?

Tabasco bottles? WOW! I love it! Thanks guys for the tip. I was just looking for bottles to use to send my friend some sample after shaves and he loves hot sauce. How appropriate. I hate plastic so it had to be glass and these work well

Iron Horse, nice flask bottle you rigged up, including the reducer.
It got me thinking, which is always dangerous...but would a metal hip flask work, or would the metal screw up the aftershave and vice versa?
No, I didn't take Chemistry in high school...why do you ask?

Thanks, not sure about using a metal hip flask.

I have also repurposed a Nivea Balm Bottle.

Attachments

• $20140329_174644.jpg
    $20140329_174644.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
I did not see a thread on the subject already which really surprised me. What I want to see is what you use as a decant bottle for your Aftershave. More and more companies are now turning to plastic to stock their products. I think it's unfortunate as you don't get the class of a glass bottle. If I'm lucky enough, I could get a Glass Aqua Velva bottle for my Aqua Velva. Things like that.

I currently store some of my AS in bottles of Tabasco.
attachment.php

What are you using?

Hi, How do you get the AS inside? The opening is really small.

Thanks for the answer.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hi, How do you get the AS inside? The opening is really small.

Thanks for the answer.

I got a 50ml food grade syringe off eBay. Some use the restaurant style bottles for ketchup and mustard

Top Bottom