What's new

Bottles to Decant? (Glass vs. Plastic)

I have a few after shaves in plastic bottles (clubman / skin bracer / Family Dollar Old Spice Knock off - My wife just got it for me). I am thinking of decanting these into more manageable bottles (i have limited space). Plus it would be nice if they were in glass =)

Any creative ideas on what to use, aside from buying new/used decanters?

Tabasco bottles are great! Plain soapy water will work fine plus a few rinses and you're good to go. Nid Hog is right though--that cap holds a LOT of pepper residue. It took me a while to get all of the "heat" out of the cap.

When you're done though, it's a perfect bottle. Dispenses great too!!

good luck,

Marty E.

Awesome, I love Tabasco so Ill decant a few bottles into a larger one. And use the smaller ones to decant the AS.

B

BrightFutur

Great idea with the Tabasco bottles!

Something I'm planning to do is go to the antique mall near me and get some old whiskey bottles (A pint or less. With corks), and decant all my alcohol splashes into them.

Great idea with the Tabasco bottles!

Something I'm planning to do is go to the antique mall near me and get some old whiskey bottles (A pint or less. With corks), and decant all my alcohol splashes into them.

Thats a brilliant idea as well =)

I was thinking of using apothecary bottles for my Witch Hazel and the like. The look of the glass stopper bottles is excellent IMHO.

Now using tobassco bottles is a great idea. Think I'll have to try that out as well.

I've used expended Aqua Velva bottles to decant from larger pint sized bottles of various Masters products. Make sure you wash thoroughly to get all the AV scent out.

I use Tabasco Melindas hot sauce bottles for years as a soap dispenser at the kitchen sink.

The dollar tree OS clone should go into a vintage, clipper ship Shulton bottle! I just decanted mine into one and my mind now thinks I'm using the real McCoy. You can pick up an empty Old Spice bottle just about anywhere these days; antique store, eBay, for practically nothing.

The dollar tree OS clone should go into a vintage, clipper ship Shulton bottle! I just decanted mine into one and my mind now thinks I'm using the real McCoy. You can pick up an empty Old Spice bottle just about anywhere these days; antique store, eBay, for practically nothing.
This sounds like a great idea, but how do you refill your Old Spice bottle? The opening is so small, it seems that finding a funnel that size would be hard?

That's funny, I just bought a 9.5 oz Shulton Old Spice bottle from ebay with the thought that, if what's inside has turned (or not OS for whatever reason), I'll dump it and refill it with the Vi-Jon stuff.

This sounds like a great idea, but how do you refill your Old Spice bottle? The opening is so small, it seems that finding a funnel that size would be hard?

I use a 10 cc syringe. Remove the plunger and put the tip in the bottle. Pour in the OS slowly.

I don't know if this helps, but I've been using these plastic pipettes I got on ebay from folks that decant fragrances...they're basically just long droppers, but they work better than anything else I've tried. They're cheap to buy .

I got a couple old Avon cologne bottles from a thrift store for $2 apiece and decanted some Alt-Innsbruck and Mosswood into them.

Haven't found a perfect way to get out a previous scent, but alcohol or the Oxy stuff (the kitchen or laundry cleaner) works pretty good, as long as you rinse several times after Oxy. Besides, Innsbruck just menthols the old one to death.

I was in a hurry, so I took my 8.5oz empty Shulton bottle outside along with the dollar store AS, turned the full bottle upside down (about 2 inches above) over the little opening of the Shulton bottle and squeezed hard to make a "jet" stream of liquid. After about 10 hard squeezes, my OS bottle was almost full. Some did run down the side of the buoy bottle but not very much. I was amazed at how easy it was to decant this way! Also, every time you let go of the squeeze, the stream completely stops, even still holding the Vi Jon upside down. You have to do this to let air back inside so you can squeeze out more. If I'd not been so lazy, I'd have gone out and bought an oral syringe for decanting but this worked just fine. You have to have a steady hand and good aim!

I was in a hurry, so I took my 8.5oz empty Shulton bottle outside along with the dollar store AS, turned the full bottle upside down (about 2 inches above) over the little opening of the Shulton bottle and squeezed hard to make a "jet" stream of liquid. After about 10 hard squeezes, my OS bottle was almost full. Some did run down the side of the buoy bottle but not very much. I was amazed at how easy it was to decant this way! Also, every time you let go of the squeeze, the stream completely stops, even still holding the Vi Jon upside down. You have to do this to let air back inside so you can squeeze out more. If I'd not been so lazy, I'd have gone out and bought an oral syringe for decanting but this worked just fine. You have to have a steady hand and good aim!

Besides, if you lose 10% of the Vi-Jon this way, you've wasted, what--16 cents? :biggrin:

Top Bottom