What's new

Bottles to Decant? (Glass vs. Plastic)

I have a few after shaves in plastic bottles (clubman / skin bracer / Family Dollar Old Spice Knock off - My wife just got it for me). I am thinking of decanting these into more manageable bottles (i have limited space). Plus it would be nice if they were in glass =)

Any creative ideas on what to use, aside from buying new/used decanters?

Some Vinegar bottles have green glass and I use them or old blue Phillips M&M bottles.

If you have Dollar Tree Stores or Big Lots Stores in your area pay them a visit. They have 1.00 and 3.00 priced empty bottles with stopper and diffuser included. I use them for my Clubman Products.

$811BF6AC-40D6-4F53-A605-A15B274C274D.jpg

I have a few after shaves in plastic bottles (clubman / skin bracer / Family Dollar Old Spice Knock off - My wife just got it for me). I am thinking of decanting these into more manageable bottles (i have limited space). Plus it would be nice if they were in glass =)

Any creative ideas on what to use, aside from buying new/used decanters?

I really don't do that much any more except for Lilac Vegetal. The plastic bottle definitely makes a difference in the scent of that particular aftershave. I don't think you give the Veg a fair shake unless you either refrigerate the plastic bottle or relocate to a glass bottle.

I really don't do that much any more except for Lilac Vegetal. The plastic bottle definitely makes a difference in the scent of that particular aftershave. I don't think you give the Veg a fair shake unless you either refrigerate the plastic bottle or relocate to a glass bottle.

Pinaud Clubman also benefits from glass.

At first I refused to believe this. And I admit the change is very, very subtle. But it is real.

Last edited:
I found four beautiful glass bottles with sturdy caps at an antique store. I've filled them up with my Pinauds. I think they're ~150 mL (5 ounces). They look great.

(L-R: Clubman, Virgin Island Bay Rum, Lilac Vegetal, Lime Sec.)

Attachments

• $bottles.jpg
    $bottles.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 224
I have thought about using my unused split (374ml) wine bottles with a liquor shot pouring cap. I used to make wine 6 gallons at a time and have at least 2 cases of these bottles. Clear and green.

As my Chemistry Professor said , Chemicals belong in Glass and since AS and Cologne is Chemicals they belong in Glass.

Just decanted some Lilac Vegetal into an empty, clean Tabasco bottle. This will match up nicely with the dollar store "Spice" decanted into an identical bottle.

$IMG_2779 (2).jpg

$image.jpgDecanted my Clubman into a Tobasco bottle (already used about 1 ounce so it fit nicely into the 5 ounce bottle). The special reserve went into an old Heffywiesen bottle that I plugged with a piece of cork. I drilled a chopstick sized hole in the cork so I can dispense a little at a time and use s cut chopstick to plug the top. I also prepared an old hienz ketchup bottle with a cork dispenser plug. I can still use the original cap to seal the bottle. It's 16ouncrs so I can handle larger volumes in the future.

I filled the plastic bottles with really hot water to lessen the labels then peeled them off with a razor so I could label my new glass bottles.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My hippie health food store sells 2 oz. glass bottle for .99 - perfect for AS decanting, one oz. at a time.

The one success I noticed is with the Veg. My bottle came on a hot day; smelled distinctly plastic-funky. I've decanted some into glass and it's mellowed some.

Sadly ... I'm still not chosen, but the stuff did mellow.

I've also seen glass olive oil decanters, with that metal pourer, at walmart. That would work if you had a single daily fave.

AA

I purchased the Special Reserve from Amazon (during the summer) and it clearly had been sitting for some time. I did wonder if what i interpreted as an undertone of funk was the result of hot storage in the plastic bottle. Since decanting a few days ago, when I smell it from the bottle I get a more tolerable strength. I have applied a small amount as a test and I can say the funk MAY have gone, hard to tell with the small amount it applied. What I will say for sure is that the empty plastic bottle has 100% of the funk smell I was detecting. I am usually a hoarder of empties but that is one that will definitely go in the trash.

I made my own bay rum after shave base then poured into various hot sauce bottles I had bought to put my concoction in (Crystals hot sauce bottles are a great choice). I struggled to locate bottles that had the right feel in my hand and look on the shelf as well as the ability to control dispensing (while also allowing me to fill easily)

Top Bottom