What's new

Boot socks. What do you wear?

I'm wondering if it's not the nature of the boot, if the heel's not locked down every time it rises within the boot, rubbing on the back of the boot, the sock is being pulled down. And that said my only experience with footwear without laces is in rubber boots worn for mucking about and some long gone loafers.

dave

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think the Darn Tough are going to get the nod. I seem to grab them most often. The Throlos are nice, but after a few wearing I've decided I don't think the thickness of them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
tell me about it. I'm at a loss. Maybe I need those sock suspenders after all.

Or hit the gym.

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
"So what brings you here? Impress a girl? Getting married? Getting in shape for a summer beach vacation?" "Nahh, I just want my socks to fit"

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Socks for Boots?

One thing good about socks for boots is that the socks do not need to match.

Another fan of merino wool socks in basically any variety for any weather. They don't have the god awful smell issues that synthetic socks do, but still wick sweat so I don't wind up with a soggy sock/foot at the end of the day.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm still open for suggestions but so far nothing I've tried beats the Darn Tough. I like everything about them.
I did order a pair of the boot socks, which sit in the middle of the calf muscle, and they do fall down. But the over the calf Darn Tough socks stay in place. I also like the fact that they are made in Vermont.

Another fan of merino wool socks in basically any variety for any weather. They don't have the god awful smell issues that synthetic socks do, but still wick sweat so I don't wind up with a soggy sock/foot at the end of the day.
This. There's more water in the air here than air, especially in the summer time. I've been wearing the Paul Bunyon full cushion socks from Darn Tough and they've been awesome so far in the heat. Normally this time of year through September, my feet will look like I've come out of a long bath after working all day, but these socks keep them from getting that way.

This. There's more water in the air here than air, especially in the summer time. I've been wearing the Paul Bunyon full cushion socks from Darn Tough and they've been awesome so far in the heat. Normally this time of year through September, my feet will look like I've come out of a long bath after working all day, but these socks keep them from getting that way.

Hate to agree with a Bama fan (Geaux Tigers!) but Darn Tough are what I wear also and they're the best I've found. I did find some thinner wool hiking socks at Target recently on clearance, 3 pairs for $5 I think, and I've been wearing them religiously with my Justin Ropers to put off ordering more socks, but there's a glaring quality difference in the materials. I forget the brand of those socks though. Anyway, I think most people associate wool with cold weather, but it's excellent for the high heat and humidity down south. The fact that it doesn't absorb the moisture means no working its way down around your toes and bunching up, and the calf length stay up where they belong, like toothpick mentioned.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, I broke down and bought a pair of Darn Tough Fred Tuttles. I should have them by Monday. I have switched to merino wool ankle sock for my off day wear, and I think they do better than cotton. Now I need to see how well they work with my Red Wing 606s.

I switched to Darn Tough wool socks for everyday wear with every shoe i own in the spring, wore them everyday all summer and continue on and my feet and the rest of me couldn't be happier. There's no reason for cotton socks other then cost. My earlier experience with the Darn Toughs would indicate you do get what you pay for.

dave

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm converted. I'd venture to say when I find a brand I like, I stick with it. Darn Tough is where it's at.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm converted. I'd venture to say when I find a brand I like, I stick with it. Darn Tough is where it's at.
Thanks for the feedback. I was worried about wool socks and sweat, but my GH Bass merino ankle socks don't seem to cause it. Do you notice any problems in this area with DT?

Not an issue at all for me where it could be an issue with cotton. I wear basketball shoes with socks in the house all summer no problems. About the only time i'm without shoes/boots and socks is to shower or sleep.

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not an issue at all for me where it could be an issue with cotton. I wear basketball shoes with socks in the house all summer no problems. About the only time i'm without shoes/boots and socks is to shower or sleep.

dave
Thanks. I think my wife must have some Japanese DNA- shoes in the house is verboten

Top Bottom