What's new

Blades...

I was wondering when it comes to blades, if people stick to using one blade, or do you find yourself using multiple brands of blades? I use Gillette Silver Blue, but recently I tried some Israeli Reds (Personna) and found them to provide a good, clean smooth shave. I also like and use Sputnik and Voskhod blades as well.

Should I stick with one blade or does it make a difference when it comes to shaving?

Korey

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I generally purchase them 100 or 200 at a time, so I use a brand for over a year. I am almost done with Nacets and plan to replace them with GSB.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I'm still having a blast with my shaving adventure and haven't even begun to settle down with a limited number of blade brands. Nearly every blade manufacturer that I've tried has at least one blade that I like.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Until you get consistent with a razor, and reach a level of shaving competence that you're happy with, I'd encourage new shavers to stick with one set up. Once you've mastered basic handling, then by all means explore a little. I'm working through a test queue of different blades, but along the way I have bought several blades in quantities of 25+ that I want to keep in the array for future use.

Off the top of my head, these are:

Astra SP
Derby Premium
Gillette SharpEdge
Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium
Supermax Super Stainless
Wilkinson Sword Classic

I need to add some more Feathers at some point too. Possibly some Voskhod as well.

Good question. Blades are a real YMMV thing. There is no one right answer. You can stick with a couple, or sample a number of different brands. A year from now your preferences will likely change.

I 3017 my soaps, rotate between two razors and usually two brushes. Blades, for some reason I like to try different ones. Sample packs rule!

I tried probably 15 brands of blades when I restarted DE shaving five+ years ago; one razor, one brush, but lots of soaps and creams. And now, one blade: Gillette Silver Blue.

I've found the one razor that works for me, plus I know which soaps provide a quality shave. Since I'm working on killing the soaps I have already, which is about 7-8, there may not be much variety in the shaves.

So, that's where blades come in. I have various blades to sample from time to time, but I've always got plenty of GSBs for those times I absolutely want to guarantee a great shave.

Frankly, the Rockwell 6S makes most blades shave pretty well.

I tend to rotate through blades and match up blades and razors. That said, I have a preference for Polsilvers and Kai blades, which both seem to work in all my razors.

Two for the most part - GSB and Nacet. Did a test with multiple types last year and both bested my previous favorite, the Personna Red (IP etc etc). I prefer to limit the supply and those two work with all of my razors (sometimes one better than another).

I 3017 my soaps, rotate between two razors and usually two brushes. Blades, for some reason I like to try different ones. Sample packs rule!

I do the exact same! Though once i get through the 35 or so different ones i bought i’ll buy 100 packs of my favorites. I think i’ll always try a few new ones fron time to time even after that though. I find blade variety to be my favorite part of DE shaving. It’s honestly where i’ve noticed the biggest difference from product to product.

I ran through a sample pack when I first started, settled on Derby so I bought 200. Turns out they had changed the process so the blades were completely different and not at all as smooth as the sample I got, so I gave them away.

Currently running with white wrapper persona, was trying to get the lab blues but they were misrepresented by the buyer. These aren't bad, moving to feather when I run out this year.

I don't have the bandwidth to use different blades every time.

I currently have about 30 different blade brands. About 6 of them were bulk purchases, whereas the others are simply a tuck here or there. I tend to stick with Personna, GSB and Nacets (3 of my bulk purchases).

I'm still having a blast with my shaving adventure and haven't even begun to settle down with a limited number of blade brands. Nearly every blade manufacturer that I've tried has at least one blade that I like.
Pretty close to my own situation. I've also found that some razors + my face prefer one blade over another, as an example a Gillette blue tip (considered a mild razor) paired with a Feather (a sharp/aggressive blade) gives me an excellent smooth shave. Same razor with a Astra Platinum is rough and tuggy. Also finding that amount of growth is not surprisingly a variable.

Hmmm....maybe need to add that to the MOASS. Need to see if Amazon sells a depth gauge with 0.01mm resolution.

If your technique is good then it shouldn't be a problem switching between blades.

After trying an assortment of blades I bought my favorite 3 brands in bulk. I switch between them often. I don't see myself trying new blades. I'll stick to what I like.

Should I stick with one blade or does it make a difference when it comes to shaving?

I think blades do make a difference, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you want to try a new blade buy them in 10's, not 100. Too often I bought 100 blades, because they were recommended here, or being discontinued, only to PIF or sell them after a few uses. I found 10 more than enough to decide.

For a number of years my son-in-law and I both used a Merkur 34. He preferred, and has always used, sharper Feather blades while I preferred the milder Israeli Red Personna or slightly sharper Astra SP. He recently switched to a Futur DE and still uses only Feathers while I switched to a Game Changer DE, but still use my 700+ stockpile of Reds and Astra. At my age, my blade stockpile will outlive me and I have no desire to try others.

I usually buy 10 - 25 at a time. I rotate between GSB & Nacet. I'll go a month or two with GSB then switch to Nacet. But I also enjoy Bic Chrome & Astra SP. Oh, & don't forget Feathers!

For me and my face, it's a matter of matching the blade to a specific razor.
My current rotation -----
Timeless Bronze SB with Feather, Rockwell 6C (plate 4) with Gillette Nacet,
and Elite Razor Custom 34C with Israeli Red Personna. Four shaves per blade.
Each of these three set-ups gives me a smooth comfortable BBS shave.:a14::a14:

I was wondering when it comes to blades, if people stick to using one blade, or do you find yourself using multiple brands of blades? I use Gillette Silver Blue, but recently I tried some Israeli Reds (Personna) and found them to provide a good, clean smooth shave. I also like and use Sputnik and Voskhod blades as well.

Korey

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
Get a sample pack, then decide which you prefer.

Pretty close to my own situation. I've also found that some razors + my face prefer one blade over another, as an example a Gillette blue tip (considered a mild razor) paired with a Feather (a sharp/aggressive blade) gives me an excellent smooth shave. Same razor with a Astra Platinum is rough and tuggy. Also finding that amount of growth is not surprisingly a variable.

Hmmm....maybe need to add that to the MOASS. Need to see if Amazon sells a depth gauge with 0.01mm resolution.
I read that somewhere - that some blades perform better in one razor over another (mostly vintage vs modern).

PS. Right Click -> Add Column!! Now you'll have to go back thru and try each one again to get a good reading!!

Top Bottom