What's new

Blades...

I'm a fan of Feather blades. I buy In bulk - 200 at a time. They work for me in all of my razors, but I tend to prefer a less aggressive razors these days (EJ 89).

I tried a variety of blades some years ago, but none worked better than Feather for me.

- Greenhouse

I was wondering when it comes to blades, if people stick to using one blade, or do you find yourself using multiple brands of blades? I use Gillette Silver Blue, but recently I tried some Israeli Reds (Personna) and found them to provide a good, clean smooth shave. I also like and use Sputnik and Voskhod blades as well.

Should I stick with one blade or does it make a difference when it comes to shaving?

Korey

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
I found that the best blades for me are Feather blades. They are aggressive but kind to the face

So far I like Gillette Platinum, Polsilver Iridium, Derby Premium and Sputnik.
Seem to work fine in all five of the razors I have - four Gillette vintage and a Rockwell 2C.

What is the best place to purchase blades from?

The online specialty shave stores have a good selection and generally fair prices. eBay has some good sellers too, but you need to pay attention as prices vary widely. Similar on Amazon. You generally want to buy 100 at a time for best pricing wherever you order, but to start it's recommended to buy some sampler selections to find which blades work best with your razor on your face.

I have it down now to 7-8 blades, some in different razors just work better, and some of my razors make every blade work. My favs from Gillette are Nacets, GSB, Platinums, SP Blacks, other brands are Feathers, Polsilvers, Rapira Plat Lux. They are all great blades for my skin and beard.

I became totally addicted to collecting blades and have various stashes of vintage and discontinued blades including Spoilers, Shick Platinum Plus, Gillette Bleue Extra (France), Gillette 7 O'Clock Blues, and Wilkinson (England). But I still use Gillette Silver Blue as my normal default as well as rotate through the assorted other blades I bought when first starting out like Astra, Feather, or Nacet.

I have a tough beard and sensitive skin, so I am always experimenting to find which razors (both straight razors and DE razors), blades, soaps, etc. give the best shave.

I have found a few DE blades that are just not sharp enough for my tough beard (VDH, Merkur, Shark, Derby Extra) no matter which razor I use them in. But if your beard is not as tough as mine, they might work well for you.

Feather blades are considered to be the sharpest out of the box. I love using them in a mild razor such as the VDH/Weishi TTO, but I avoid using them in aggressive razors like the Muhle R41 as it would be too harsh for my face.

Thus, which blade works best for you depends on the toughness of your beard, the sensitivity of your skin and the aggressiveness of your razor.

In my R41 and fairly aggressive Parker 98R, I like using mid-sharp blades like Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge yellow, Polsilver Super Iridium, Voskhod, Astra Superior Platinum. Gillette Silver Blue, and 7 O'Clock Green.

In less aggressive razors like the EJ DE89 or Muhle R89, I like using slightly sharper blades like Nacets, Personna Israeli Reds, 7 O'Clock Platinum black, Wilkinson Sword made in Germany, Crystal Blades made by Personna in Israel, and the Personna Lab blues.

What works for me might not work for you. The best way to find out which works best for you is to purchase a sampler pack containing blades covering the range from less sharp blades (Sharp and Derby Extra) up to the sharpest (Feather) with several mid-range blades as well. If you have multiple razors, I suggest purchasing a sample pack that has 5 blade packs of each brand rather than 1-2 individual blades. The later packs work well if you have only one razor to use for testing.

I'm 3 weeks into wet shaving so newbie - I bought a sample pack of 15 different blades and have used so far: Rockwell, Dorco 301, Viking, and Rapira Swedish SS... They all seem to be similar - maybe the Rockwell was rough a little. Next trying Borzano, Astra SP, Parker, Voskhod, Nacet SS and Wilkinson Sword German, plus some more. Hopefully, I will find one that is smooth and sharp. I have a mild beard and experience little to irritation in shaving at all. Wish me luck, hopefully as experience in shaving increases I will be able to tell the difference in the blades more.

Top Bottom