What's new

Blades...

Great question!

I have a ‘rotation’ purchased in 100s. Then, I have others that I try or rotate in.

My primary go to brand is GSB and I'm stocked up so I don't plan on buying anymore anytime soon, especially considering their recent ad. But that won't keep me from using up good razor blades that I already have. I also recently purchased a 100-pack of Israeli Personna's after trying them out from a blade sampler and got good results. I first tried them in my Edwin Jagger DE-89 and had no problems with the Personna blade. The second time I used it, I tried it out in a Gillette Slim Adjustable on a setting of 5. Had no problems with it at that time either. Shaved really well.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I tried over 40 blades and finally settled on the Polsilver in 2015.

I'd highly recommending trialling a minimum of 20 blades until you settle on that one blade that gives the best smoothness & sharpness combination for your skin and stubble type.

My skin is sensitive but stubble is medium coarse (not barbed wire but enough that majority of DE blades fail). The Polsilver is very smooth and sharp enough to cut without any tugging.

I'm now set with enough stock to last my lifetime.

I find that it depends on the razor. Feathers are perfect in my Krona; Israeli Personnas are perfect for my 80s Super Speed. However, if I concentrate, Feathers will work for me in most any razor that's not too aggressive.

That is where I'm struggling when it comes to which razor should I use when trying out new blades? After all, one blade may work wonderful in one razor, but not another.

I have the following razors:

Edwin Jagger DE-89
Parker 99r
Parker Variant
Merkur Futur
Gillette Slim adjustable
Gillette Fatboy

Thoughts or Suggestions on which razor I should start with?

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

German Wilkinson Swords will work well in your GSA and your GFB. Truthfully I have found them very forgiving in every razor I have. Sputniks are also a good blade. Though my Super Speed does not really like them. I like the GSB blades as well BUT I will no longer be purchasing anything to do with Gillette. Sharks are horrible for me but some here like them. Stay away from VanDerHagen. Those things are like shaving with a broken bottle. None of my razors like them.

German Wilkinson Swords will work well in your GSA and your GFB. Truthfully I have found them very forgiving in every razor I have. Sputniks are also a good blade. Though my Super Speed does not really like them. I like the GSB blades as well BUT I will no longer be purchasing anything to do with Gillette. Sharks are horrible for me but some here like them. Stay away from VanDerHagen. Those things are like shaving with a broken bottle. None of my razors like them.

Why is everyone against Gillette lately?I know theres something I must of missed as Ive read the sudden dislike for the brand in quite a few recent posts..

Why is everyone against Gillette lately?I know theres something I must of missed as Ive read the sudden dislike for the brand in quite a few recent posts..
Do a quick search for gillette commercial. Apparently they feel it is toxic to be a man now. I wont get into a rant here as it would not be appropriate BUT..suffice to say...they have gotten their last dime from me.

The effect of that commercial might just be an increase in B&B membership and a return to traditional wet-shaving for more men.
Yeah you might be on to something
However once those new converts
Sample some of those Gillette DE
Blades out of St. Petersburg,I suspect
They'll have a hard time putting them
Down..

Yeah you might be on to something
However once those new converts
Sample some of those Gillette DE
Blades out of St. Petersburg,I suspect
They'll have a hard time putting them
Down..
They could use Asco Orange, Treet DuraSharp, Derby Premium and many, many others.
I feel that Gillette may now have lost their "edge".

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I was wondering when it comes to blades, if people stick to using one blade, or do you find yourself using multiple brands of blades? I use Gillette Silver Blue, but recently I tried some Israeli Reds (Personna) and found them to provide a good, clean smooth shave. I also like and use Sputnik and Voskhod blades as well.

Should I stick with one blade or does it make a difference when it comes to shaving?

Blade choice is likely the most personal aspect of DE shaving. Try as many as you can and focus on the ones that agree with you the most, then narrow your choices.

Of the blades below I found my top 3 and 5. Derby Extra doesnt happen to be in that picture, but its one of my top 3 DE blades.

IMG_2066.JPG

Check Try A Blade. You can buy as many or as few of any blade you want to try. I'd suggest buying two of any particular blade though. You may not like it that much at first shave, but you may really like it a month later.

I apologize for my ignorance, but can you explain what you mean when you say "I 3017 my soaps"?

TIA

NT
No worries, 3017 is a term used here on B&B that means to use up an item (originally meant for soaps) from start to finish. No rotation of soaps, no shave of the week, just open the soap, and use it exclusively until it's finished. The name came from Johnniegold, who originally stated that he had enough soaps to last till 3017. Head over to the Soaps forum to see the thread.

I use several different brands.
And really enjoy all of them. Each brand has its own good qualities.
If I could just choose only one out of them to use the rest of my life it would be the Astra blues. Good longevity, great price! Comfortable too!

Razorhead

After testing some brands, I stuck with the ones that worked the best for me. Astra SP's, Polsilvers, GSB, Voskhod and Rapira Lux.

Top Bottom