What's new

Blade journey

It came with Voskod blades? I thought it was all Greek so Astor and BIC - or did you change them yourself?

Beautiful razor!! And enjoy your shave tomorrow!!!

Guido
It came with the Voskhod and Bic Astor blades. I've never used an Astor blade, so I might put it into the blade journey. If tomorrow's shave does well (I'm very optimistic), I just might use the Athena as the test bed for the blades that I received from @lasta. This razor is stunning to behold, and it is heavy, 119 g with a blade.

lasta

Blade Biter
It came with the Voskhod and Bic Astor blades. I've never used an Astor blade, so I might put it into the blade journey. If tomorrow's shave does well (I'm very optimistic), I just might use the Athena as the test bed for the blades that I received from @lasta. This razor is stunning to behold, and it is heavy, 119 g with a blade.
A beautiful Amphora-like handle for sure! But 119g is a bit rich for my tastes.

IF my turn ever comes up, I'll be getting a marble column inspired handle for it!

lasta

Blade Biter
Similar to the Ares perhaps?
I'm thinking a short and fat white marble-like handle, but yes, similar theme!

Something like these, but shinier brass.

1674922521413.png
1674922715458.png

All ready for the Lambda in-depth review.

:popc:
Buckle up or get your popcorn for my deep dive on my first shave with the Lambda Athena (rated 9.9/10 with a slight deduction for two minor weepers) using the following gear and with lots of photos at the end:
  • Razor: Lambda Athena (No. 22-234)
  • Blade: 1974 U1 Gillette Super Stainless “Spoiler” (2)
  • Brush: Semogue Owner’s Club Mistura Taj (favorite)
  • Pre-shave: Noxema dwell before rinsing (good value pre-shave)
  • Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve (excellent)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by Stirling Christmas Eve splash and balm (superb)
PXL_20230128_000137413.PORTRAIT.jpg

I have been dreaming of shaving with an Athena since I first saw the photo that @Phoenixkh posted in the acquisition thread, so my impressions may be “colored.” With that disclaimer, count me as deeply impressed by the performance of this razor, which shaves like none other in my den. As for the result, I achieved a superb BBS shave in all portions of my beard in two passes plus touch ups, some rather extensive.

As for my shaving experience reaching that result, I’ll do my best by starting at the beginning. The first pass WTG was very smooth and comfortable, but the efficiency of this first pass was mid-pack. It immediately became apparent that the Athena likes to be used in its relatively narrow sweet spot, which I describe as a “neutral” angle. The audio feedback is very helpful in letting you know when you're in the sweet spot, but don’t count on blade feel for finding it.

The heavy, 119-gram weight of the razor is also immediately apparent. I needed to keep reminding myself that no added pressure is needed. Right at the start, I got two self-induced weepers, one on my Adam’s apple, and one on my neck next to it, because I used too much pressure. This pair of weepers were the reason for the 0.1 deduction from a perfect 10. Thankfully, keeping a light touch is easy because of the superb ergonomic design of the handle. The handle is exactly the right length for my hand. I love the tapered bottom end that is capped with a flange, which creates a superb location to place a pinky or ring finger for positive, fingertip control of the head. The flat bottom of the flange permits you to stand the razor on its end in a very stable way so you can marvel at the beauty of this Art Deco design. Standing on end, the Athena reminds me of an Oscars statuette. The larger diameter “top” end of the handle (i.e., nearer the cap) with its flat, slightly roughened matte portions is more substantial than the free end and a better match for my forefinger and middle finger. Again, the contrasting shapes of the top and bottom ends couples the razor more tightly to my brain. These flattened areas not only provide a grippier feeling because of the matte finish, but they also create a tactile reference point for my brain to know more about the angular position of the head while shaving. That is, I can better tell whether the head is flat against my skin or twisted slightly. For those of us who like to play with rotating the head as we shave through a stroke (@Guido75 👀), this handle provides superb rotational feedback because of its shape. I even notice that the flat areas of the top section of the handle are located on the lateral sides of the razor when a blade is loaded to make it easier to connect the feeling of these flat areas with the angular orientation of the head. but offset 45 degrees from these positions when no blade is loaded. See the two photos below of the razor standing with and without a blade loaded and note the different positions of the flattened matte portions. This attention to detail in the design is just so impressive.

The head of the razor holds the blade incredibly securely; so much so, that it is difficult to sense that a blade is loaded in the head during the shave. Although the head is rather substantial in size, I found it to be among the easiest heads to maneuver under my nose. I have whiskers essentially just inside each nostril (TMI?) that can be very difficult to reach with some razors (e.g., a Fatboy or my High Proof). The Athena made shaving these elusive whiskers a breeze, in part, I think because the blade is so well guarded that I did not hesitate to advance the razor head into the openings of my nostrils. The lather holes and channel inside the head efficiently carry shaved stubble and lather away from the skin such that it actually is not necessary to rinse the razor that often during the shave. When you do rinse the head, it puts on quite a show, however, with the renowned water jets that shoot from laterally located holes in the head. See my photo below.

The second pass ATG was where the Athena really came into its own for me. The superb blade clamping allowed the Spoiler to give me a shockingly smooth and efficient second pass. On the vast majority of my face, I was done with a BBS finish. This performance ATG was much more efficient than the first pass WTG. The fabulous second pass also made me wonder whether it would be possible to load a Feather or other super sharp blade into the Athena and shave with a single ATG pass. I’m not sure that I’m fully tuned into knowing exactly where the edge of the blade is located during the shave because the edge is tucked away somewhat in the substantial contact patch of the head, but I am sure that I will develop a better sense for the location of the blade in future uses (and there will be many).

So, after that stellar second pass, I squeezed what was left of my Stirling lather from my SOC Mistura and hand lathered my face for touch ups. I focused on the usual spots, under my left jawline, the “corners” of my cheeks at the back of my jawline, and the sides of my neck next to my Adam’s Apple. With some careful attention and using my newfound knowledge of the Athena’s sweet spot, I removed the last vestiges of stubble from even these trouble spots.

The Thayer’s witch hazel and Stirling splash and balm were the perfect close to this fantastic shave. My face feels and smells wonderful.

Theo really has created a masterpiece. I highly recommend this razor without reservation. Even at 220 Euro shipped, it is worth every “penny.”

PXL_20230128_000153596.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230128_144956656.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230128_000255838.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230128_000324562.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230128_000403289.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230128_144258878.MP-still.jpg

:badger:

Last edited:
Buckle up or get your popcorn for my deep dive on my first shave with the Lambda Athena (rated 9.9/10 with a slight deduction for two minor weepers) using the following gear and with lots of photos at the end:
  • Blade: 1974 U1 Gillette Super Stainless “Spoiler” (2)
  • Brush: Semogue Owner’s Club Mistura Taj (favorite)
  • Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve (excellent)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by Stirling Christmas Eve splash and balm (superb)
View attachment 1595908
I have been dreaming of shaving with an Athena since I first saw the photo that @Phoenixkh posted in the acquisition thread, so my impressions may be “colored.” With that disclaimer, count me as deeply impressed by the performance of this razor, which shaves like none other in my den. As for the result, I achieved a superb BBS shave in all portions of my beard in two passes plus touch ups, some rather extensive.

As for my shaving experience reaching that result, I’ll do my best by starting at the beginning. The first pass WTG was very smooth and comfortable, but the efficiency of this first pass was mid-pack. It immediately became apparent that the Athena likes to be used in its relatively narrow sweet spot, which I describe as a “neutral” angle. The audio feedback is very helpful in letting you know when you're in the sweet spot, but don’t count on blade feel for finding it.

The heavy, 119-gram weight of the razor is also immediately apparent. I needed to keep reminding myself that no added pressure is needed. Right at the start, I got two self-induced weepers, one on my Adam’s apple, and one on my neck next to it, because I used too much pressure. This pair of weepers were the reason for the 0.1 deduction from a perfect 10. Thankfully, keeping a light touch is easy because of the superb ergonomic design of the handle. The handle is exactly the right length for my hand. I love the tapered bottom end that is capped with a flange, which creates a superb location to place a pinky or ring finger for positive, fingertip control of the head. The flat bottom of the flange permits you to stand the razor on its end in a very stable way so you can marvel at the beauty of this Art Deco design. Standing on end, the Athena reminds me of an Oscars statuette. The larger diameter “top” end of the handle (i.e., nearer the cap) with its flat, slightly roughened matte portions is more substantial than the free end and a better match for my forefinger and middle finger. Again, the contrasting shapes of the top and bottom ends couples the razor more tightly to my brain. These flattened areas not only provide a grippier feeling because of the matte finish, but they also create a tactile reference point for my brain to know more about the angular position of the head while shaving. That is, I can better tell whether the head is flat against my skin or twisted slightly. For those of us who like to play with rotating the head as we shave through a stroke (@Guido75 👀), this handle provides superb rotational feedback because of its shape. I even notice that the flat areas of the top section of the handle are located on the lateral sides of the razor when a blade is loaded to make it easier to connect the feeling of these flat areas with the angular orientation of the head. but offset 45 degrees from these positions when no blade is loaded. See the two photos below of the razor standing with and without a blade loaded and note the different positions of the flattened matte portions. This attention to detail in the design is just so impressive.

The head of the razor holds the blade incredibly securely; so much so, that it is difficult to sense that a blade is loaded in the head during the shave. Although the head is rather substantial in size, I found it to be among the easiest heads to maneuver under my nose. I have whiskers essentially just inside each nostril (TMI?) that can be very difficult to reach with some razors (e.g., a Fatboy or my High Proof). The Athena made shaving these elusive whiskers a breeze, in part, I think because the blade is so well guarded that I did not hesitate to advance the razor head into the openings of my nostrils. The lather holes and channel inside the head efficiently carry shaved stubble and lather away from the skin such that it actually is not necessary to rinse the razor that often during the shave. When you do rinse the head, it puts on quite a show, however, with the renowned water jets that shoot from laterally located holes in the head. See my photo below.

The second pass ATG was where the Athena really came into its own for me. The superb blade clamping allowed the Spoiler to give me a shockingly smooth and efficient second pass. On the vast majority of my face, I was done with a BBS finish. This performance ATG was much more efficient than the first pass WTG. The fabulous second pass also made me wonder whether it would be possible to load a Feather or other super sharp blade into the Athena and shave with a single ATG pass. I’m not sure that I’m fully tuned into knowing exactly where the edge of the blade is located during the shave because the edge is tucked away somewhat in the substantial contact patch of the head, but I am sure that I will develop a better sense for the location of the blade in future uses (and there will be many).

So, after that stellar second pass, I squeezed what was left of my Stirling lather from my SOC Mistura and hand lathered my face for touch ups. I focused on the usual spots, under my left jawline, the “corners” of my cheeks at the back of my jawline, and the sides of my neck next to my Adam’s Apple. With some careful attention and using my newfound knowledge of the Athena’s sweet spot, I removed the last vestiges of stubble from even these trouble spots.

The Thayer’s witch hazel and Stirling splash and balm were the perfect close to this fantastic shave. My face feels and smells wonderful.

Theo really has created a masterpiece. I highly recommend this razor without reservation. Even at 220 Euro shipped, it is worth every “penny.”

View attachment 1595913View attachment 1595917View attachment 1595918View attachment 1595920View attachment 1595923View attachment 1595925

What an informative write-up and such a beautiful razor sir. Congratulations!!!!

Also like the Casablanca ending.👍😊

Second shave with Lambda Athena (rated 10/10 despite minor weepers) using the following gear:
  • Blade: Brazilian Wilkinson Sword graciously supplied by @lasta (1)
  • Brush: Semogue 820 Boar (excellent face lathering brush)
  • Soap: D.R. Harris stick Marlborough scent (excellent)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by vintage 1965 Old Spice splash and Cella Extra Extra Bio balm
PXL_20230130_131724825.jpg
PXL_20230130_131837109.jpg

This morning, we started a major renovation on two of our three bathrooms, so I was relegated to shaving at the sink in our third bathroom instead of in the shower as I normally do. Let's just say, I had concerns. The second shave with the Athena was very much like the first, but I would say this blade was slightly sharper than the Spoiler I used in the first shave. The first pass WTG felt as if no blade was in the razor and yielded a moderately efficient result. Again, I had two weepers in the same location as the first shave (it may actually have been reopening them). I also had some very small misty-eyed spot at the corners of my mustache that disappeared during the second pass. I felt absolutely no discomfort at all with the Wilkie. I could not deduct anything for the weepers because I literally felt nothing and they stopped weeping immediately. The Athena is a joy to use near my nose with its highly controlled presentation of the blade edge.

The second pass ATG mostly finished my BBS shave without any further drama or discomfort. For me so far, the second pass is where the Athena shines. It is so good, that I just might experiment some day by going ATG (or XTG) on the first pass to see what happens. Heresy, I know. I barely had any soap left in my brush for the third pass, likely because I did not put enough soap in my face at the start. No matter though, because the third pass was just minor touch ups to clear the last bits of already shaved stubble.

The Thayer’s witch hazel and 1965 Old Spice splash barely raised any sting, something that almost never happens for me after a BBS shave. I can only guess that the Athena really does shave without any unnecessary trauma to my skin. I will be super curious to see how my beard feels after

Three cheers for this masterpiece of a razor with a nod to the excellent Brazilian Wilkinson blade. I must confess, however, that I’m beginning to think that I could put a sharpened stone in the Athena and it would shave. At some point, I just might try one of my old, three-holed Gillette blades in the Athena to test my hypothesis.

Blade Journey log is HERE.

This begs for comparisons to your Gillettes and High Proof although the shave score is a testimony in and of itself.

Guido
It really does. The High Proof, like the Athena, prevents you from feeling the blade and provides a high efficiency result with fantastic smoothness. The High Proof has more of a utilitarian feel than the Athena because the design is all business with no emotion like the Athena.

I'm struck by how beautiful the Athena is every time I look at it and touch it. I haven't mentioned until now how fantastic the threads on the cap post and inside the handle feel as you screw the handle onto the cap. They screw together with impossibly tight yet smooth precision. I know some say they want to make another handle for their Lambda razor but I can't imagine a third pretty handle with threads that would mate so perfectly with Lambda's cap post.

The Gillettes and the blade feel that they provide remind you constantly that you are using a sharp implement. That reminder has its own charm, especially when you wield the blade skillfully. Some Gillettes provide more blade feel than others, and I've gotten some amazing shaves from a variety of Gillette razors.

I've never shaved with a straight razor, but I imagine it to be extremely satisfying when done right. Using a straight razor would seem to me to be on the opposite end of the wet shaving spectrum from the High Proof.

I appreciate the entire spectrum.

Excellent follow up and comparison Mitch. Thanks. This razor has been in my mind since I first saw it. Everything about it is gorgeous - I personally find the Athena just a bit more beautiful than the Ares but they are both stunning.

I would have a hard time each morning choosing between my Ti95 (which ranks equally well designed and with similar precision you just attributed to the Lambda in terms of fit - I know some use the Crown handle for other razors and I have considered that, but I will buy a spare handle than using this one that matches so nicely with the head) and an Athena should I had one. But I don’t do that task rests on your shoulders!

The enjoyment is notable in your writing and I am happy for you. Enjoy your shaves!!

Guido

After having these blades ageing for a couple years, thanks to you I have loaded a Turkish Lord into my Blackbird for tomorrows shave. I hope the Sultan doesn't have me executed! 😬
Ah the Turkish Lord was truly gentle... and my head is still attached! I don't know if Jarod made that whole story up, his distributor that he is hiding or some combination of truth and myth, but the quality is definitely stacked in favour of Turkey. I had another go at trying to find some of these, but the name is the same as the Egyptian blades so search engines don't work. The only way would be to find a Zaza distributor and I bet TSS get's theirs third hand. Strange that he moved from selling tucks to listing them as per blade whereas the regular Zaza blades are available in cartons. I may contact him... maybe. Sorry to dive bomb this fine thread, back to my seat now.

Ah the Turkish Lord was truly gentle... and my head is still attached! I don't know if Jarod made that whole story up, his distributor that he is hiding or some combination of truth and myth, but the quality is definitely stacked in favour of Turkey. I had another go at trying to find some of these, but the name is the same as the Egyptian blades so search engines don't work. The only way would be to find a Zaza distributor and I bet TSS get's theirs third hand. Strange that he moved from selling tucks to listing them as per blade whereas the regular Zaza blades are available in cartons. I may contact him... maybe. Sorry to dive bomb this fine thread, back to my seat now.
I love that you were reacquainted with the Turkish Lord blades from my surprising experience with mine! No need to apologize for a dive bomb at all. I really did enjoy using the Turkish Lord and will use it again.

Top Bottom