Blade journey shave #2 with:
  • Razor: Birth year 1961 G4 Gillette Tech with @Rosseforp custom handle
  • Blade: Voskhod teflon blade
  • Brush: Semogue SOC Mistura Taj brush
  • Pre-shave: Noxema pre-shave wash
  • Soap: Daveli Farms Sheep Fat, Orange Cedarwood Oakmoss scent
  • After shave: Thayer's unscented witch hazel and La Toja balm
View attachment 1564117

This was my first experience with the vaunted (by some) Voskhod Teflon coated blade. I found it to do a pretty good job overall, but I did not think it was particularly special. The Voskhod was quite comfortable on the first pass WTG, but not particularly efficient. I'm guessing the lack of efficiency reflects less sharpness. My second pass was ATG as usual, but I still had some work left. When a blade is working really well for me, my third "pass" is really just touching up specific areas. Today, I needed a bona fide third pass that required a fair amount of buffing to get to BBS. I saw no bloodletting of any kind, but the buffing left my skin a tiny bit irritated in spots. One advantage of the mildness of the blade was that I could do more work on my problem area, my neck. Oddly, my neck is perhaps my least irritated spot today.

I used my normal pre-shave approach, a hot shower with a Noxema pre-shave wash in which I let the mentholated Noxema dwell on my skin before rinsing it. I bloomed the Daveli Farms Sheep Fat soap in my shaving mug before lathering it there with my Semogue Owner's Club Mistura (LOVE it!). The soap performed superbly as always and is a bargain at only $8. After the shave, I applied Thayer's Unscented Witch Hazel, which actually stung a little bit, which is unusual. Oddly, the La Toja balm also gave me a bit of burn. My cheeks, which are a tell tale for irritation on my face, were slightly reddened. Nothing terrible, just a fact and likely due to the extra buffing on them.

Overall, I would give today's shave 8.5/10. Even though it was comfortable, more effort was needed to achieve BBS and more irritation resulted. I'll probably shave a second time with the blade after round 1, but then again, I may not.

Next up on Thursday, I'll try the Tiger Platinum blade from the Czech Republic, another blade I've never tried.

Summary table HERE
I can't use Vokshod! Even though they feel sharp, they feel rough on my face, kinda like pulling on whiskers at times. Face gets irritated! Not for me...

Tuesday morning shave (rated 9.8/10) using:
  • Razor: Lambda Athena (no. 22-234)
  • Blade: Super-Max Platinum from brother @lasta (1)
  • Brush: Semogue Owner’s Club Mistura Taj (my favorite)
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: Daveli Farms Sheep Fat (excellent)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by 1965 Old Spice splash and Stirling Spice balm (superb)
PXL_20230307_131500210.jpg

Another wonderful shave from a Super-Max blade in two passes (WTG/ATG) plus touch ups. The blade was virtually indistinguishable to me from the Super-Max Diamond Edge blade that I used on Sunday, almost invisibly smooth and comfortable during the first pass WTG. The slightest of deductions on the efficiency scale for falling just short of outstanding on this first pass. The second pass ATG virtually completed the BBS goal. A few touch ups on the third pass did the rest. Job done with zero irritation.

As always, the Stirling balm does a peerless job soothing and softening my skin.

I may stick with these Super-max blades for a bit to see how well they hold up over time. My Blade Journey log is found HERE.

:badger:

Tuesday morning shave (rated 9.8/10) using:
  • Blade: Super-Max Platinum from brother @lasta (1)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by 1965 Old Spice splash and Stirling Spice balm (superb)
View attachment 1617263

Another wonderful shave from a Super-Max blade in two passes (WTG/ATG) plus touch ups. The blade was virtually indistinguishable to me from the Super-Max Diamond Edge blade that I used on Sunday, almost invisibly smooth and comfortable during the first pass WTG. The slightest of deductions on the efficiency scale for falling just short of outstanding on this first pass. The second pass ATG virtually completed the BBS goal. A few touch ups on the third pass did the rest. Job done with zero irritation.

As always, the Stirling balm does a peerless job soothing and softening my skin.

I may stick with these Super-max blades for a bit to see how well they hold up over time. My Blade Journey log is found HERE.

Nice picture.

Sunday morning shave (rated 9.3/10) using:
  • Blade: Mysterious Irish Comet Super Stainless Steel blade (1)
  • Brush: Semogue Galahad Horsehair (great painter)
PXL_20230312_135114406.jpg
PXL_20230312_152516170.MP.jpg

I know almost nothing about this blade other than it is made in Ireland of “finest swedish steel." I posted about this mysterious Comet when I purchased them HERE and no one could provide any further information about them. As discussed in the vintage blade thread, my initial view under my cheap USB “microscope” seemed to show a two-bevel blade. Today, my imagination tries to conjure a three-bevel blade (see annotated photo below marked at potential bevel transitions). When I first examined the Comet, I had failed to note the warning against wiping the blade on the back of the wrapper, which implies that the blade has a PTFE coating. Even though I received my box of 89 Comets in early December last year, and I’ve just gotten around to trying one. I'm glad I did because they provided a genuinely interesting shaving experience.

Comet blade annotated.jpg

In some ways, the Comet seemed similar to the underwhelming Wizamet Iridium I used a few days ago because it drew some blood, but the Comet differs in some important ways. It never felt uncomfortable and gave me a very close result in just a bit more than two passes. It gives an impression of being very sharp. I doubt I'll ever find these blades offered for sale again, but, hey, I've got 88 left :).

The first pass WTG drew a completely painless weeper front and center on my chin, which bled a bit throughout the entire shave but closed soon after I finished. During the second pass ATG, a few more tiny weepers of the misty-eyed variety cropped up near the lateral portions of my mustache, which is a very sensitive part of my skin. These closed almost immediately, which I believe to be a side effect of the Comet's sharpness. After this second pass, I had a BBS finish virtually everywhere and needed only a couple very minor touch ups using the leftover lather squeezed from my Gallahad Horsehair brush.

I have a very minor bit of irritation right under the front of my chin, which is one of the “tightest” corners on my face. As I write this within an hour of shaving, I don’t feel any other irritation and don’t expect any to crop up.

The Semogue Galahad horsehair brush has lost its original “scent” (a good thing), and I have come to appreciate its balanced performance. Even though it is not a large brush, it generates decent lather. The tips have a slight sharpness that helps with picking up soap and exfoliating my skin without being uncomfortable. The backbone is stiff enough to pick up soap and supple enough to allow it to paint lather very nicely. I’m glad to have it as an option in my den.

My Blade Journey log is found HERE.

Blades really are YMMV, but "impression of being very sharp" is always a + in my books. Great find!
I was genuinely surprised by the performance of this obscure blade. I've been sleuthing around the internet trying to figure out who made these blades and when, and I think I have discovered that they were most likely made by Okava Enterprises in a factory in Carlow County, Ireland sometime in the early 1960s. Okava only owned this factory from 1956 until 1967, when Ovsey Klotsman (the founder of Okava died). I found this information in a description of the history of Okava posted online (HERE) that has tons of information about this company. Perhaps its best known blade was the beloved Israeli Eddison blades. It turns out that "Eddison" is a mashup of the names of Mr. Klotsman's son and daughter, "Eddie" and "Sonia."

The photos below show my Comet wrapper laid flat in the same orientation as images of a select few of Okava's wrappers. The similarity is too great to ignore. One of the wrappers is for an Israeli "Comet" blade, also made of "FINEST SWEDISH STEEL."

Irish Comet wrapper.jpg
Eddison wrapper.jpg
Elka wrapper.jpg
Eddison wrapper with patent app number.jpg
Israeli Comet wrapper.jpg

I also believe the blades are coated with some type of polymer as described in an Israeli Patent Application number 17444 that was filed in 1962. This patent application is referenced by its number on a few of Okava's blades, including on one of the Israeli Eddison blade wrappers shown above. The application mentions a bunch of different polymer coatings including PTFE. As far as I can tell, a patent never issued based on this application. If I am correct that my Comet blades were made by Okava in County Carlow Ireland AND that they were coated as described in Okava's Israeli patent application, then the blades were most likely made in the early 1960s of FINEST SWEDISH [stainless] STEEL.

The historical account of Okava that I linked above is quite detailed and very interesting.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
I was genuinely surprised by the performance of this obscure blade. I've been sleuthing around the internet trying to figure out who made these blades and when, and I think I have discovered that they were most likely made by Okava Enterprises in a factory in Carlow County, Ireland sometime in the early 1960s. Okava only owned this factory from 1956 until 1967, when Ovsey Klotsman (the founder of Okava died). I found this information in a description of the history of Okava posted online (HERE) that has tons of information about this company. Perhaps its best known blade was the beloved Israeli Eddison blades. It turns out that "Eddison" is a mashup of the names of Mr. Klotsman's son and daughter, "Eddie" and "Sonia."

The photos below show my Comet wrapper laid flat in the same orientation as images of a select few of Okava's wrappers. The similarity is too great to ignore. One of the wrappers is for an Israeli "Comet" blade, also made of "FINEST SWEDISH STEEL."

View attachment 1620419View attachment 1620420View attachment 1620421View attachment 1620426View attachment 1620422

I also believe the blades are coated with some type of polymer as described in an Israeli Patent Application number 17444 that was filed in 1962. This patent application is referenced by its number on a few of Okava's blades, including on one of the Israeli Eddison blade wrappers shown above. The application mentions a bunch of different polymer coatings including PTFE. As far as I can tell, a patent never issued based on this application. If I am correct that my Comet blades were made by Okava in County Carlow Ireland AND that they were coated as described in Okava's Israeli patent application, then the blades were most likely made in the early 1960s of FINEST SWEDISH [stainless] STEEL.

The historical account of Okava that I linked above is quite detailed and very interesting.
So, a judge gathering evidence first hand. Who said grunt work can't be fun?

Great find! And Shaveworld does seem like somewhere I can spend hours browsing.

Eddison blades are fantastic. Period. Smooth, comfortable with excellent longevity. Easy double digits with this blade. Still available at our regular blade sites.

Nice additional info and intel here Mitch. I understood that Eddison is part of the Personna family, but your information might point out it’s different?

Guido

Eddison blades are fantastic. Period. Smooth, comfortable with excellent longevity. Easy double digits with this blade. Still available at our regular blade sites.

Nice additional info and intel here Mitch. I understood that Eddison is part of the Personna family, but your information might point out it’s different?

Guido
Eddison blades were only made by Okava until 1970. After that, any one of the big brands could have taken over. Where are Eddison blades made now?

From what I can tell from the website it is Israel.
The Israeli blade stock are starting to get thin, they are available, but be careful because there was a guy selling dross from Israel when the Reds became difficult to find. They are now made in Germany, same as the Personna Platinum Chromes, they are available on ebay at least. We had a discussion about this a month ago, somewhere. Off to order more blades than I can possible use...

The Israeli blade stock are starting to get thin, they are available, but be careful because there was a guy selling dross from Israel when the Reds became difficult to find. They are now made in Germany, same as the Personna Platinum Chromes, they are available on ebay at least. We had a discussion about this a month ago, somewhere. Off to order more blades than I can possible use...
That might be in the Discovery Adventure PIF thread. Eddison was part of the blade PIF.

That might be in the Discovery Adventure PIF thread. Eddison was part of the blade PIF.
I am sure it is, but finding the page is the problem...

On another note, or two, I contacted Razor Blades Club and they confirmed that their stock is Israeli. They are dirt cheap in my book. Also, the German made ones have vanished from ebay, but I am sure that is just a supply issue.

I found this older thread which I am reading and it might be the oldest one on here, I have heard less than great reviews up until the PIF Disco thread. It was one of the Israeli blades that I figured I could skip...

I tried something very different for my Tuesday morning shave, and it rated only 3/10. I used:
  • Razor: 1940s? Clix E-Z-Flo (see my post HERE for details about this razor and its blades)
  • Blade: vintage Clix blade (1)
  • Soap: Daveli Farms Sheep Fat (excellent but too thin today)
PXL_20230314_121813426.jpg

My attempt at using the Clix razor with one of its original blades proved that the good old days weren't always so. I won't be using this blade again, which almost didn't feel like a blade. It tugged hard and barely cut any whiskers on the first pass WTG. The only possible saving grace was that my face didn’t feel irritated, just disappointed. The lack of irritation likely stems from this razor's geometry that includes a negative blade exposure of about 0.004 inches. I'll try to remember that the razor needs a very sharp blade.

The first pass was so bad that I abandoned the Clix combo after the first pass and switched to my High Proof razor loaded with a fresh Personna Lab Blue. The score above reflects only the Clix experience. The High Proof got the job done, but with more weepers than ever before, which may have been due to watery lather resulting from user error on my part. The weepers stopped very quickly.

My brush was too wet, and the soap is almost gone in my mug. The result? I made a very pretty and voluminous, but extremely thin lather. This is actually my first experience with having so little soap left in my mug because I’ve only been wet shaving for about a year, and I have bought way too many soaps ;).

Thursday morning shave (rated 9.5/10) using:
  • Razor: Lambda Athena No. 22-234
  • Blade: early 1960s Comet Super Stainless made in Ireland by the Israeli blade manufacturer, Okava Enterprises (2)
  • Brush: Fendrihan synthetic (a lather monster)
  • Soap: Stirling Spice (excellent)
PXL_20230312_135114406.jpg

The second go with the Comet provided another very smooth and close shave with a couple misty-eyed weepers on my chin that closed very quickly. The first pass WTG went very smoothly and efficiently. The second pass ATG essentially finished the job to a BBS finish. The Comet is an unexpected pleasure to use.

I don’t use synthetic brushes very often, but this Fendrihan brush always makes a lot of lather and does a great job putting it on my face. My Stirling soap virtually exploded when I put this brush to it. The brush also feels super soft on my skin. I don’t have a sensation of it lifting whiskers or exfoliating my skin; but is that necessary? I can’t argue with the great result though. I should use it more often.

Top Bottom