What's new

Blade journey

Outstanding Monday morning shave #9 with the Lambda Athena (rated 10/10) using:
  • Razor: Lambda Athena (No. 22-234)
  • Blade: Israeli Crystal Super Platinum blade (1)
  • Brush: SOC Mistura Taj (my favorite)
  • Pre-shave: Noxema face wash in shower
  • Soap: Daveli Farms Sheep Fat (outstanding)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by 1965 Old Spice splash and Stirling Spice balm (superb)
PXL_20230213_140924936.jpg

I received this tuck of blades along with one of my many vintage razor purchases (I can’t remember which one). I have poked around on the internet and believe that they are Israeli-made Crystal Super Platinum blades that I think were made by the American Safety Razor Company. They bear US Patent No 3,071,856 (issued in 1963), which was a Gillette patent on a process for applying PTFE (Teflon) to the surface of a razor blade. I don’t why ASR would have marked one of its Israeli-made blades with an American Gillette patent number. Perhaps, ASR licensed this patent or bought it from Gillette. The US Patent Office records are incomplete on this patent.

I achieved an excellent BBS shave in two passes (WTG/ATG) with touch ups. The first pass was of average efficiency, but the second pass was superbly efficient. The blade also felt sharper on the second pass ATG than it did on the first pass WTG. I had the tiniest bit of irritation in the very small patches just inside my nostrils from too much buffing during the first pass trying to shave these elusive whiskers. I had no irritation otherwise.

The Thayer’s witch hazel and Old Spice splash felt great. I used my newly acquired Stirling balm in “Stirling Spice” scent (intended to smell like Old Spice), and it was amazing as usual. The scent isn’t quite the same as my Old Spice products, but it’s in the ballpark.

Blade Journey log is HERE.

:badger:

lasta

Blade Biter
In a way that is actually my story for my modern blades. I have for 35-50 years worth of blades the rate I’m going. Will the blades be affected by the wax dots for example? And what about sharpness? These type of questions run through my mind sometimes.

Guido
I don't think wax will be a problem. They do harden over time, but a few scrapes with a used blade makes short work.

Oil can get a little messy though. I suspect they didn't use very the best in the past, and over the decades kind of turn into glue. When I cracked open my 80's Super Stainless dispensers, I had to bang them on the table to separate.

With Mitch's Super Silver, it looks like the oil went past the hardening stage and actually seeped onto the edges!

Shave #10 with the Lambda Athena (rated 10/10) using:
  • Blade: vintage 1981 B2 English NACET blade from brother @lasta (1)
  • Brush: Semogue Gallahad Horse Hair (very nice)
  • Pre-shave: none
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by 1965 Old Spice splash and Stirling Spice balm (superb)
PXL_20230216_124713513.jpg

I had three days of growth after skipping an extra day between shaves because I needed to get a good clean shave so that I would look sharp at the hearing over which I presided this morning. I picked the English NACET so graciously PIF by brother @lasta because my only prior experience with this type of blade was so positive (LINK). Thank you so much for including a tuck of these gems in your PIF. This second experience was more confirmation that these English NACET blades are superb.

The first pass WTG removed the vast majority of my three-day beard like a hot knife through butter. I did get a misty-eyed weeper just above my Adam’s apple. I chalk this up to the incredibly keen edge on the NACET because I felt absolutely no biting or irritation over this tricky area. The second pass ATG was also superb and essentially finished my shave at BBS/BBS-. I couldn’t resist trying to remove the last vestiges of the BBS- whiskers by squeezing the remaining lather from my brush and applying it by hand to my face for touch ups, which were in only a very small number of limited areas. I could have foregone these touch ups, but I was enjoying this combination so much.

The Thayer’s witch hazel and Old Spice splash felt great with that little bit of extra sting that comes with a really close shave. I finished with the “Stirling Spice” balm, which I absolutely love. My entire face feels and smells wonderful. I’m ready for my hearing!

Blade Journey log is HERE.

Shave #11 with the Lambda Athena (rated 10/10) using:
  • Blade: 1981 B2 English NACET blade from brother @lasta (3)
  • Brush: Semogue Owner’s Club Mistura Taj (my favorite)
  • Pre-shave: Generic Noxema knock off

Not much to say about this flawless, comfortable, close BBS shave. I had nary a single drop of blood or irritation. A WTG first pass followed by an ATG second pass. Then I did a very small amount of touching up with the leftover lather from the brush. I seem to have mastered the correct angle (neutral) and pressure (light) to use with the Athena. I’ve also improved my technique with the Daveli Sheep Fat soap, which appears to be able to tolerate quite a bit of water.

I left the Noxema on my face as a preshave rather than washing it off as I typically have done in the past. I think it helps to leave it on. I found a generic version of this very classic cleansing cream that was only $3.50 for a large 12-ounce (354 ml) tub. The Stirling Spice balm is a perfect supplement to my beloved vintage Old Spice splash. On my next shave, I’m likely to give the Stirling Spice soap a try also.

This shave may have been even better than the first with this blade because the blade’s cutting edge feels even smoother than it was when new, but it remains plenty sharp enough to deliver a very close BBS shave in just a little more than two passes.

I have a few shaves rated in my Blade Journey log HERE about which I did not post (including the second shave with this blade). The others were quick shaves using my High Proof razor and a fresh Feather (they were great shaves, but not as close as the Athena). I’ve been quite busy with work, and the upheaval caused by our bathroom renovation project has thrown me off my routine of shaving in the shower. The renovations should be complete within about two weeks I think.

That’s what I do with my Proraso Green too. I think it certainly helps indeed.

Guido
The ingredients list on my Proraso Green preshave is what led to my discovery of Noxema. Both products contain very similar ingredients. Likely more Camphor and Menthol in the Proraso, but I find both products to work very well as preshave and the Noxzema is WAY less expensive here in the States.

Proraso Rinfrescante Preshave​
Noxzema Cleansing Cream​
Aqua (Water/Eau), Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Camphor, Parfum (Fragrance), Menthol, Eucalyptol, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Limonene, Coumarin.
Water (Aqua), Stearic Acid, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Propylene Glycol, Gelatin, Camphor, Ammonium Hydroxide, Phenol, Calcium Hydroxide, Menthol, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride.

I bought the small 3.6 ounce jar of Proraso in Italy for about $3. Here in the States, it costs $13. Given the size and price difference, the Proraso is about 11 times more expensive than the generic Noxzema.
The $13 gives me the 12oz Proraso Green. And if the ingredients are basically similar I would know what I would do too!

Shave #4 with the 1981 B2 English NACET (rated 9.5/10) using:
  • Razor: To join Old Type party with @Guido75, I picked my late 1920s single-ring style Gillette Old Type with a thick cap that has been masterfully replated by Back Roads Gold and with a Razor Emporium replica center tube installed to replace the cracked original
  • Blade: 1981 B2 English NACET blade from brother @lasta (4)
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema cleansing cream
  • Soap: Stirling Spice (wonderful)
PXL_20230226_133703561.jpg

Another wonderful shave with the NACET, but I gave very slight demerits on efficiency and irritation compared to the first three shaves with this blade in the Athena. I used my typical WTG/ATG approach for the first two passes but needed slightly more work on the third touch up pass to achieve a balanced BBS/BBS- finish.

During the passes, I definitely felt more blade than with the Athena and the blade seemed to chatter ever so slightly when going ATG on my toughest whiskers on the front of my chin. Perhaps this is why I had two very minor weepers in this area and slight irritation near the lateral edges of my mustache. The Athena clamps more of the blade than the Old Type, and I think the slightly longer “overhang” of the Old Type compared to the Athena (see photos below) makes a slight difference in how the blade feels on my face. Both razors performed wonderfully, but I prefer the Athena.

The photo below illustrates the Old Type's blade presentation with slightly positive exposure and "overhang" that is typical of most vintage Gillette razors (and many modern ones).

Late 1920s OLD type with 3-hole blade exposure.jpg

This photo illustrates the blade presentation in the Athena with a neutral to very slightly negative blade exposure and minimal "overhang" with clamping of the blade surface virtually to start of the bevel of the cutting edge.

Athena blade exposure.jpg

My Blade Journey log is found HERE. For my next shave, I think I will stick with the NACET and return to the Athena to see whether the Athena can resurrect the perfect 10 shaves I’ve been having with this fantastic blade.

Hmm, I'm noticing an abnormal layaway on the Blade Journey entries. Are you hesitant about what's coming up next?

Some of those blades are known to mingle with Shaverboy:c10:
I confess to really enjoying the NACET and wondering how long it will keep providing great shaves. I will get to the others in the set you PIF'd. Let's be honest though, there are a LOT of blades in that PIF :) and it will take me a LONG time to get through them all, especially if I shave more than once with them. Maybe I'll throw in a Super GVCMLLE after shave #5 with the NACET ;).

Shave #5 with the 1981 B2 English NACET (rated 8.8/10) using:
  • Razor: Lambda Athena (no. 22-234)
  • Blade: 1981 B2 English NACET blade from brother @lasta (5)
  • Soap: Daveli Farms Sheep Fat (excellent)

The blade is starting to show its age. The main difference from when it was new is that I now feel slight tugging on my chin during the second pass ATG. The blade still provides a BBS result on my chin, but more work and attention is required and the shave is less comfortable. I'm considering retiring the blade to protect its fantastic reputation in my eyes.

I do marvel, however, at how well the Athena maneuvers under my nose to reach the uppermost whiskers in my mustache. Almost no other DE razor reaches these whiskers more easily, comfortably, and safely. Perhaps my 1931 Probak three-piece OC razor does an equally nice job in this area. The heavy weight of the Athena somehow provides a feeling of safety and comfort when I shave these hard-to-reach whiskers. I don’t know why. Also, most of my SE razors (other than the High Proof) reach this area rather easily.

My Blade Journey log is found HERE.

Late post about my Friday morning shave (rated 7.5/10) using:
  • Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium from brother @lasta (1)
  • Pre-shave: Proraso Rinfrescante
  • Soap: Stirling Spice (excellent)
PXL_20230303_131035119.jpg

This blade felt very harsh and drew a lot of blood beginning during the first pass WTG. The second pass ATG resulted in even more blood and noticeable irritation, especially on my neck and the lateral margins of my mustache. The shave also was just acceptably close with BBS- in many areas. Not my favorite blade. It is possible that I simply got careless by unintentionally applying pressure. Too much pressure with the Athena causes blades to bite. So, the blade may deserve a second chance.

Kind of funny right? We have gotten so used to our fabulous gear delivering fantastic shaves that when something is off, we deduct points and with a 7.5 goes to show this shave had more opportunity.

In high school I would have been jumping up and down for a 7.5 in algebra 😁.

Heal quickly Mitch. Tomorrow is another shave and if I may suggest take a mild Gillette for a spin to give your skin a bit more time to recoup.

Cheers,

Guido

Sunday morning shave (rated 9.8/10) using:
  • Blade: Super-Max Diamond Edge Super Platinum from brother @lasta (1)
  • Soap: Daveli Farms Sheep Fat (excellent)
PXL_20230305_134544302.jpg

All is good in the Weatherly household on this beautiful Sunday morning on opening day of the Formula 1 season. This was a more typical Athena two-pass shave (WTG/ATG). That is, it was wonderfully close and comfortable. The blade felt almost invisibly smooth and comfortable during the first pass WTG, with slightly above average efficiency. The second pass ATG was also very smooth and more efficient as usual with the Athena. I achieved a full BBS result with a decent amount of touch ups on the third pass. I felt no irritation, but after the shave, a few of the spots on my chin that bled during Friday’s Wizamet shave reopened. I don't blame the Diamond Edge blade for the blood, which stopped very quickly.

It has almost become boring how wonderfully the Stirling balm performs. I even use it on mornings when I don’t shave to moisturize my face. I really enjoy the "Spice" scent also, but that's because I'm a sucker for classic Old Spice.

Top Bottom