What's new

Blade journey

I just received a very generous PIF of 20 different blades from @dmshaver and the blade exchange.

View attachment 1563276

I've decided to try each blade in succession until I've tried all 20 and keep track of my reactions here, journal style. I'm only going to use each blade once for now because an important characteristic of a blade for me is that it feels good on its first use. I'll save them also to give me an option to go back for a second run with each blade.

I'm also going to use the same razor every time to take that out of the equation, my birth year 1961 Tech on my @Rosseforp company time handle. If a blade won't work in a Tech, I'm skeptical 🧐.

I'll probably limit the shaving soaps also to only tallow based soaps, which seem to work best for me. Arko will definitely be in the rotation because it is so easy to lather in repeatable fashion, but I'll use others too. I'm also going to let at least 36 hours (and typically 48 hours) pass between shaves unless I run into an "emergency" need for a shave. I want my beard to have a consistent starting condition.

To avoid selection bias, I'm going to use the blades in the order defined by the photo above; left to right and top to bottom. So, first up will be the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade. When I post reactions, I'll be blunt because I want to record differences. I'll admit to having fairly low expectations for some of these blades (I'm looking at you Shaverboy😁). This should be fun :cheerful:!
And then buy some Kai and Feather, you have a tough time deciding between them and wonder why you didn’t try them first 😁

And then buy some Kai and Feather, you have a tough time deciding between them and wonder why you didn’t try them first 😁
Oh I've tried and still have both of those blades. In fact, I think I used a Feather for one of my very earliest DE shaves ever. It had a very distinctive feel as I recall.

One of the appeals to me for this journey is that I'm trying some blades that I've never even heard of before. Another appeal is that I'm taking a semi-scientific approach, or at least a methodical approach, to evaluating the character of a blade.

My prior ad hoc experiences with Feathers are that they are super sharp, almost dangerously so. The KAI DE blades haven't actually impressed me that much yet. But, now I have a method for evaluating them against a "database" of other experiences.

An unexpected side benefit of going on this journey is that I feel like my shaving technique is improving.

lasta

Blade Biter
Keep at it! I mean sure, a Tech and Feathers will be fine getting me through the rest of my shaving life. But a few decades from now when someone opens Badger & Blade on the waybackmachine; there will be a record saying Personna X's were once considered good blades.

If I just needed something that works, my first DE might as well be my last. The rest? Well, BOSC membership explains all those.

This is a pic of the L5, the Tech clone, aka L122. The L6 is the L1822.

Excellent! I was looking to buy this razor once before because I understood it to be a Tech clone. Problem being, I couldn't seem to locate one through my usual retail channels.

The L6 did not interest me as I have a few R89/DE89 type razors already.

I just happened to come across this one in the Razor Blades Club website listing, so I ordered one. I was hoping to learn that I ordered the correct razor.

Many are incorrectly labeled when listed for sale on the Internet.

For my PIF'd Blade Journey shave #18 (rated 9.8/10), I used the following setup:
  • Razor: Birth year 1961 G4 Tech with custom stainless handle by @Rosseforp
  • Blade: Turkish Lord Super Stainless Chromium Coated
  • Brush: Semogue Owner’s Club Mistura Taj (my favorite)
  • Pre-shave: Noxema dwell before rinsing (good value pre-shave)
  • Soap: Arko (shout out to fellow Arkonauts @FarmerTan and @Arbor Man)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by 1965 Old Spice splash and Intesa balm
PXL_20221231_184956593.jpg

I was not expecting much from this obscure blade, and I was dumbfounded by how well it performed for me. My first pass was superbly smooth with very good efficiency. The blade did not feel quite as sharp as the Personna X-series or the NACET, but it did just as well at taking down my two-day stubble. The second pass was just as smooth and efficient enough to achieve a BBS-/DFS level of finish. I could have stopped right here under “normal” circumstances, but this journey demands that every shave reach for BBS. The third pass focused mostly on my trouble spots and the toughest whiskers on my chin. I achieved BBS in these areas, even on my neck. The extra buffing did cause two misty-eyed weepers on my lower chin that I did not even feel happening; you know, the type of weepers that don’t really sob, they just glisten a bit and close before you finish the shave. Some small patches on my cheeks (like right under the crest of my cheek bones) were slightly less close at BBS-. I docked 1 point on “closeness” for this "transgression."

The post-shave witch hazel felt like water and the Old Spice splash stung just a little, mostly on my chin. It was refreshing. The Nivea Cool Sensitive balm is a very effective, reasonably priced product that seems to be available everywhere. As I type this, within an hour of shaving, I have no irritation at all, even in the areas that I buffed smooth.

At 12 hours, I had a DFS+ level of stubble. This was an excellent shave; I’m actually shocked. I would say that I’d consider buying more of these blades, but I can’t find them anywhere other than HERE at $0.20/blade. I think they are too expensive given that other blades of equal aplomb can be had for less.

My score sheet for my PIF'd Blade Journey is HERE.

Next up is the Egyptian Shark made by Lord International Co. I might have used one of these before, but I honestly can’t remember it. Should be interesting to see how it shaves.

:badger:

Last edited:
Yep. I read about the stories and then saw your close ups. I think my skin will find it too daunting. So I never pursued to get one - even though they are quite easy to get by. O yeah and I read a lot of reviews on cracked handles.

And after getting my latest acquisition I am out of razor stands 😅 anyway.

But it sounds like you think I am missing out?

Guido
All I read are only excuses. 3 of them (look at the bold font in the quote.) You need an Old Type - it is the original and first double edge safety razor. The current Fatip MKII can't hold a candle to it. So, no whining about your skin. A cracked handle can be replaced with many handles sold today. And lastly, you are out of razor stands... Seriously? :frown2:

All I read are only excuses. 3 of them (look at the bold font in the quote.) You need an Old Type - it is the original and first double edge safety razor. The current Fatip MKII can't hold a candle to it. So, no whining about your skin. A cracked handle can be replaced with many handles sold today. And lastly, you are out of razor stands... Seriously? :frown2:
I always enjoy your straight through the front door in your face feedback Ivan. 😊 We would get along very well working together!

I am currently in restraint (this will surely lead to more feedback!) but I understand I need an Old Type if I take my hobby serious. Got it.

Guido

Long-ish post. For my PIF'd Blade Journey shave #19 (rated 7.5/10), I used the following setup:
  • Razor: Birth year 1961 G4 Tech with early 1920s Durham DuBarry handle
  • Blade: Lord Shark Super Stainless
  • Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve (superb)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by Stirling Christmas Eve splash and balm (fantastic)
PXL_20230103_152412041.jpg

Before I get into the shave notes, I just wanted to point out that I swapped the handle for an early 1920s Durham DuBarry handle. This is a great handle. It's heavier (50 g vs. 37 g), longer (by 1/8"), and fatter (by 1/16" in diameter) than the stock handle, and it has grippier knurling and a more useful notch on the distal end that serves as a great detent for a finger to generate leverage and improve control. It's actually the first time I've shaved using it, and I'll definitely use it more often. On to the shave.

The first pass was comfortable but revealed a lack of sharpness and average efficiency. The second pass remained comfortable and achieved DFS+ everywhere. The third pass was mostly touch ups, but struggled to deliver a really close shave and remove the stubble on my left jawline trouble spot. The shave was quite comfortable throughout, but ultimately not as close as I like.

I’ve come to realize that I really enjoy the feeling of a sharp blade cutting whiskers with ease, and this blade does not deliver that experience. It is sharp enough to get the job done and felt gentle doing it. I’m sure that some will love the way this blade shaves. Maybe it works well in an aggressive razor.

The post shave witch hazel and the Stirling splash felt great, with the splash providing a pleasing warmth along with a hint of nourishment and a great scent. The Stirling splash is emerging as a front runner for me, but I have a weakness for my vintage Old Spice probably because I remember seeing it (and smelling it) as a kid in my Dad’s bathroom. The Stirling balm is now my clear favorite. My skin always feels soothed and hydrated the entire day from this balm. Sometimes I use it even when I haven’t shaved because it just feels that good. As I type this, within an hour of shaving, I have no irritation and my skin feels fantastic.

At 12 hours, I had only a SAS level of stubble. From an irritation standpoint, it feels like I shaved yesterday. The problem is that my stubble also feels like I shaved yesterday—not good. Bottom line, this was a comfortable shave, but not as close as I like. The blade isn’t really my style, but I get why it has its fans. I do wonder whether this is one of those blades that gets sharper for the second shave because a coating wears off during the first shave.

My score sheet for my PIF'd Blade Journey is HERE.

Next up is the Egyptian ASCO blade, also from Lord International Co. Honestly, all the Egyptian Lord blades look the same to me. They all seem to have a noticeable coating that covers about 2 mm of the lateral edges of the blade that include the beveled cutting edges.

The ASCO is the LAST blade from the PIF, so I need to figure out where to go on my journey from here. Maybe, I’ll do a round 2 for a subset of the blades from round 1 (top 5 maybe?). Maybe I’ll switch to a different type of razor; lord knows I have dozens from which to choose. I may also take a look at the Lord Platinum blades that came along with my Lord razor to see whether I want to make it #21 of “round 1.” I must confess, however, that the Egyptian Lord blades have not been my favorites.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’m sure that some will love the way this blade shaves. Maybe it works well in an aggressive razor.

Yes and yes. Shark Stainless are great in a RazoRock JAWS, but they’ll definitely never make Gillette Nacet or Shark Platinum blades self-conscious.

I need to figure out where to go on my journey from here.

There’s always Journals and Diaries[/i]. Maybe shaving related vignettes based on your increasing experiences in this unending labyrinth?

the handle for an early 1920s Durham DuBarry handle.
That one looks like a great handle. Nice design!!
I need to figure out where to go on my journey from here.
There are lots of ways to venture out. You could do a second round, so it with a different razor - or doubles where you compare razors and blades or blades alone.

Whatever it is please continue! Your notes and storytelling are an addition to this forum!

Guido

For the last blade in my PIF'd Blade Journey shave #20 (rated 7.5/10), I used:
  • Razor: Birth year 1961 G4 Tech with company time handle by @Rosseforp gold-plated by Back Roads Gold
  • Blade: Lord-made ASCO Super Stainless
  • Brush: Semogue 820 Boar (love it)
  • Soap: Mike’s Natural Soap, Barber Shop (superb, shout out @Guido75)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by 1965 Old Spice splash and then Cella Extra Extra Bio balm (very good)
PXL_20230105_002511140.jpg

The shave from this blade was virtually indistinguishable from the previous shave with the Shark. I feel like I ended up with a slightly closer shave, but at the expense of a slight bit of irritation because of buffing more to get there.

I just don’t prefer these blades made by Lord International Co. (the Egyptian company not to be confused with the original Turkish company still selling Lord blades). The blades are competent and on the milder side. They just don’t give me a close enough shave or they require too much buffing to approach the BBS finish that I prefer.

The post shave Old Spice splash stung a bit, especially on my neck. I love this scent (probably imprinted on my lizard brain during childhood). The balm is another very solid product from Cella that I would buy more often if I lived in the EU. It’s just a little pricey here in the States. As I type this, within an hour of shaving, my slight irritation has calmed and my skin feels good.

At 12 hours, I had a CCS level of stubble, which is acceptable. I have no lasting irritation.

The score sheet for my PIF'd Blade Journey is HERE.

While I think about next steps on this journey, I’ll probably divert to something completely different. I have an Electric Blue RazorRock Hawk V2 that I’ve only used once (with a Schick Proline blade) that is currently loaded with a milder KAI Titan Pink blade. I’ve been dying to give this blade a try in that razor. I also really want to shave again with my new High Proof razor. I’ll also probably still report on those shaves (and likely all shaves for the foreseeable future) in this thread. Maybe I can get an admin to rename the thread to something more generalized and move it into the journals area.

Most welcome Mitch! How did you like the scent. I have caught myself a couple of times this week just opening the jar and take a sniff…😁😋…I know, but I plead the fifth!

And great idea regarding your journaling. Although you could just start a new thread as people now know where to find this one. It’s been viewed for at least 6,000 times so…

Guido

This Sunday shave off (rated 8.5/10 for the Hawk and 3/10 for the High Proof) was brought to you by:
  • Razors: RazoRock Hawk V2 and High Proof aluminum
  • Blade: KAI Captain Titan Mild Protouch Pink (1) and Personna Lab blue (1)
  • Soap: Extro Italian artisan soap-Tobacco scent (jury is still out)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by 1965 Old Spice splash and then Nivea Cool Sensitive balm (all very good)
PXL_20230108_140402589.jpg

In my last journey post, I pondered whether to chose my RR Hawk or my High Proof razor for the next shave. As I often do when faced with a choice of two things that I really want, I picked both. Let’s have a shave off with the Hawk on the left side (the trickier side) and the High Proof on the right! I really enjoyed both of my first experiences with each of these razors (RR Hawk and High Proof), so what could go wrong?

Well, the Hawk performed right along the lines of my first two shaves with it, and the guarded KAI Pink blade was indeed milder than the Schick Proline P-30 blade I used for my first two Hawk shaves. I get why some folks gravitate toward SE shaving with an AC type blade. Very rigid, clamped securely, very sharp, very efficient, and very close but sometimes, a little too close for “comfort.” The shave has a lot in common with an SE shave using the original, splined blades made by and for the GEM and Ever Ready vintage razors and a few modern razors. I got an extremely close shave with a touch of irritation.

But, thank goodness I had the Hawk in the shower with me because the High Proof fell on its face…HARD :facep: . I just could not get the razor to remove any stubble from my face and it did not matter what I tried. Light touch, moderate pressure, scary pressure, WTG, XTG, ATG, nothing worked. The blade was the unused half of the original Personna lab blue that did such a nice job on shave #1, so I can’t blame the blade, right? I actually gave up on the High Proof, which I almost never do, and I finished the shave on the right side of my face with the Hawk.

On my first use of the High Proof, I used Stirling soap, which is fabulous, and I got a three-pass BBS- shave. I have very little experience using the Extro vegan formula soap that I used today, which I bought from Connaught. But the soap makes a beautiful “looking” and smelling lather that also feels very slick and substantial when I apply it. Could the soap make this much difference? Unlikely, because I did get a pretty nice shave with the Hawk. I’ve already loaded a fresh Feather into the High Proof razor for my next try with it, and I will go back to a tallow-based soap that I know better. I hope it works better next time because, on this shave, it was virtually unusable.

By the time I finished, I did achieve a BBS finish, but I also had some irritation, especially on my right side, which saw much more “action” than the left. I hesitate to rate the shave overall because of the wide disparity between the two razors. But, if I were awarding separate ratings, I would give 8.5/10 for the Hawk (some, but less, irritation on the left "Hawk-only" side also) and 3/10 for the High Proof (which actually feels a little generous).

The Thayer’s witch hazel, 1965 Old Spice splash, and Nivea balm are already busy soothing my face. I’m sure my irritation will be short-lived. I'm confused and a little disappointed by this shave 😢.

Learning hurts. I’m sorry.
Thanks for the thought. Thankfully, I love the learning part enough to step past any temporary discomfort. I might even use the High Proof on my very next shave. I will have a backup in the shower with me though, maybe my early 1930s Schick E2 with the rotating spring to allow the head to open for cleaning. It has been awhile since I used one of my injectors, and I really like the way they shave.

Well at least your reviews of the Egyptian Lords were consistent. It’s a true case of YMMV because on my face the Lords easily outshave every blade you’ve reviewed
Definitely YMMV as with almost everything to do with shaving. I don't "dislike" the Lord blades, and I fully understand why people like them; they were very comfortable and did a decent job of being close in my Tech. And, I might like them more in a more aggressive razor. The Tech is kind of a pussycat.

I continue to enjoy your thoughtful SOTD reviews, well done! And I noticed a few posts ago you used the Durham Duplex handle. It's one of my favorites, I love how it balances so well in my WR2 razors.

lasta

Blade Biter
While I think about next steps on this journey, I’ll probably divert to something completely different. I have an Electric Blue RazorRock Hawk V2 that I’ve only used once (with a Schick Proline blade) that is currently loaded with a milder KAI Titan Pink blade. I’ve been dying to give this blade a try in that razor. I also really want to shave again with my new High Proof razor. I’ll also probably still report on those shaves (and likely all shaves for the foreseeable future) in this thread. Maybe I can get an admin to rename the thread to something more generalized and move it into the journals area.

Hi Mitch,

I'm not as structured as you, but IMO, a good blade is a good blade regardless of what razor it is used it. I see No reason why you can't spice up your razor schedule and continue the blade journey.

BTW, batch 2 will be sent out this week!

Last edited:
Top Bottom