What's new

Blade Addiction

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sorry guys, anyone with enough blades to last 100 years and keep on buying DOES have a problem! Ok, they are not expensive, but you can't even do anything with them except shave. Do you also have loads of soap too? Sor5y if this sounds harsh, but ......
It sounds TWICE as harsh!

LOL! Just pulling your leg my friend.

We humans are a strange bunch.

A few years back I bought .22 ammunition before the shortage started, with every paycheck. Not much, actually, not enough, lol. Just had a gut feeling, and I was overpaid as a nurse anyway, lol!

Then the shortage hit, and if I saw any ammunition I bought it if the price per round was at or below the imaginary floating number in my head could justify the purchase. (Sorry for that awkward sentence. Not sure how to say it better.)

Then the prices leveled out, my cardiologist made me retire, and my lovely War Department imposed a stricter budget! The nerve of that woman! She'd rather have the family warm and fed than let me invest in lead! Don't worry; if she dies first my next wife will be rich, old, and in worse health than me. I ALWAYS have a plan "B!"

I say all of the above to say these even WISER words than you all are used to from me:

Buy stuff you can afford, while you can. Put more money in that retirement account than you think you can. Kiss your War Department, ON THE LIPS! while you can!

If you are as blessed as I am, you've got the only important account that matters settled; your account with the King, and your loved ones will get to fight over your ammo and razor blades.

Now here is today's lesson for y'all: if you have a brother in need of a coat, give him yours! You probably have another anyway. It is great heart "medicine!"

When friends come over to shoot, I've got all kinds of .22 ammo for them to "borrow." They return the favor by letting me "borrow" 9mm ammo, AND THEIR GUNS! to practice with, since I am too stoopid to own a semi-auto handgun, lol. Revolvers are idiot proof, and I'm the proof!

So to those of you who have thousands of blades my advice is simple: do what so many WONDERFUL folks on here have done for me. If someone says they have never tried "this or that" blade, PM them and offer some. If they are like me, the highlight of their day might be walking out to the mailbox. Nobody likes bills, but a soap sample, or blades, or even a razor will brighten their day!

And the giver is probably even more blessed, because your heirs will have less shaving stuff to throw in the dumpster!

FarmerTan

I guessed. That's why I could state it to two decimal places. It's called Roland's Law. When making up a number, make it as accurate as possible.
I haven't told you lately, but you are a genius. I will steal that gem of a law without remorse, because I am quite possibly a bigger thief of good material than my Unkle Milty!

I haven't told you lately, but you are a genius. I will steal that gem of a law without remorse, because I am quite possibly a bigger thief of good material than my Unkle Milty!

Fermi Problems, Seth Shostak
Senior Astronomer, SETI Institute; author, Confessions of an Alien Hunter
Brockman, John. This Idea Is Brilliant (Edge Question Series) (p. 113). Harper Perennial. Kindle Edition

Rather than hope for a future in which everyone has a basic understanding of atomic theory or can evaluate the statistical significance of polls, I’m willing to aspire to a more conditional victory. I would appreciate a populace able to make order-of-magnitude estimates.

To scientists, such questions are known as Fermi problems, after the famous physicist who encouraged colleagues to make back-of-the-envelope calculations.

I have 470 blades. I get 50 shaves/blade. That's 23,500 shaves or 64.3 years of shaves. If I live to be as old as my father, I have 10 more years of shaves to go. So...the actual number is...drum roll...6.432. I added a significant digit because I can.

This is what happens to a mind on Williams Soap.

Brockman, John. This Idea Is Brilliant (Edge Question Series) (p. 113). Harper Perennial. Kindle Edition

Rather than hope for a future in which everyone has a basic understanding of atomic theory or can evaluate the statistical significance of polls, I’m willing to aspire to a more conditional victory. I would appreciate a populace able to make order-of-magnitude estimates.

To scientists, such questions are known as Fermi problems, after the famous physicist who encouraged colleagues to make back-of-the-envelope calculations.

I have 470 blades. I get 50 shaves/blade. That's 23,500 shaves or 64.3 years of shaves. If I live to be as old as my father, I have 10 more years of shaves to go. So...the actual number is...drum roll...6.432. I added a significant digit because I can.

I kinda feel like asking for your address so I can send you any other soap to use BUT on the other hand I’m also curious to see what deranged state you’ll reach in the long run. It’s a coin toss really.

I regret saying this but Roy you are a jerk.You are on a. Forum that is a shaving addiction site and everyone one here is having fun with this and you tell us we have a problem and bring us down....go away!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

If you regretted calling Roy a jerk, you should have deleted the post. That makes you a jerk, not him.

Roy did not say that if you have enough blades to last 10 years and are still buying them, you have a problem. He said it you have enough blades to last 100 years you have a problem. Since it is a near certainty that nobody currently on this forum will be alive 100 years from now, Roy has a valid point.

However, I realize that there are a few shavers who can get 100 shaves from a single razor blade. They might get 10,000 shaves from a 100 blade bulk pack. So for them, 100 blades might represent 25 years of shaving. For me, 100 blades will last about 1 year. I probably have enough blades to last 10 years, but I hope to live much longer than that.

If you regretted calling Roy a jerk, you should have deleted the post. That makes you a jerk, not him.

Roy did not say that if you have enough blades to last 10 years and are still buying them, you have a problem. He said it you have enough blades to last 100 years you have a problem. Since it is a near certainty that nobody currently on this forum will be alive 100 years from now, Roy has a valid point.

However, I realize that there are a few shavers who can get 100 shaves from a single razor blade. They might get 10,000 shaves from a 100 blade bulk pack. So for them, 100 blades might represent 25 years of shaving. For me, 100 blades will last about 1 year. I probably have enough blades to last 10 years, but I hope to live much longer than that.
It’s regrettable to see such negativity and to take part maybe?

FarmerTan

I TOLD you you was a GENIUS!

As you can see, I have NEVER tried Williams!

I kinda feel like asking for your address so I can send you any other soap to use BUT on the other hand I’m also curious to see what deranged state you’ll reach in the long run. It’s a coin toss really.

Oh, I can't use a different soap, but thanks for the offer. I'm in a Cal Ripkin single setup challenge.

FarmerTan

Be careful what you hope for!

Be specific! Hope for at least 10 GREAT years.

If I get ten more of those I'll be happy!

Ya see this is the kind of thing people are talking about behind your back.....
Hum I’m not sure if I was supposed to say that?
Anyway, free yourself and live life. lol :jump:

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor. Do you ask what is the proper limit to wealth? It is, first, to have what is necessary, and, second, to have what is enough.
Seneca. Letters from a Stoic (The Epistles of Seneca) (Digireads.Com Classic) (p. 8-9). Digireads.com. Kindle Edition.

When I backpack in the Colorado Mountains, all I crave is food, water, shelter and warmth. As ultra-light backpackers, my son and I carry a total of 42 pounds for a three day trip. This includes a good bit of water. Our pack is lightened by the gear we leave home.

One razor, one type of blades, one soap, one brush...this is enough for me. In fact, I'm rich because I have only enough of everything. My burden is light because I don't have too much of anything.

FarmerTan

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor. Do you ask what is the proper limit to wealth? It is, first, to have what is necessary, and, second, to have what is enough.
Seneca. Letters from a Stoic (The Epistles of Seneca) (Digireads.Com Classic) (p. 8-9). Digireads.com. Kindle Edition.

When I backpack in the Colorado Mountains, all I crave is food, water, shelter and warmth. As ultra-light backpackers, my son and I carry a total of 42 pounds for a three day trip. This includes a good bit of water. Our pack is lightened by the gear we leave home.

One razor, one type of blades, one soap, one brush...this is enough for me. In fact, I'm rich because I have only enough of everything. My burden is light because I don't have too much of anything.
Amen. The fact that you have a son that chooses to spend time with you makes you as rich as "George Bailey."

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

42 just so happens to be my favorite soap.
You know I’m yanking your chain. We will reach zen in our own way.

Be careful what you hope for!

Be specific! Hope for at least 10 GREAT years.

If I get ten more of those I'll be happy!
Maybe he should have deleted his post that said someone has a problem having too many razor blades.....I"ll leave the shaving data to you as you're obviously an expert!

FarmerTan

Maybe he should have deleted his post that said someone has a problem having too many razor blades.....I"ll leave the shaving data to you as you're obviously an expert!

Never call me an expert!

I am probably quoting this wrong, but Harry Truman's definition of an expert is someone afraid to learn something new because that proves he wasn't an expert to begin with!

Never call me an expert!

I am probably quoting this wrong, but Harry Truman's definition of an expert is someone afraid to learn something new because that proves he wasn't an expert to begin with!

I said that an expert was a fella who was afraid to learn anything new because then he wouldn’t be an expert anymore.

Top Bottom