What's new

Blade Addiction

I admit I have been in the DE blade game for almost 20 years now and I have quite the collection. However, you have some I have only heard about - some "knock offs" and others completely new to me.
Thanks...I guess every region have their own particular DE blades. Here in Malaysia where I am...most of the blades are from India and Middle East.
Found and bought more over the weekend...
Euromax Single edge because I can use with my shavette and it's dirt cheap..
Silverstar because I tried it and it was a good blade and I only have 2 tucks of 10
Supermax is also because is good and I have only 3 tucks of 5
All of the blades are really cheap...Hahahahaha...clear addiction here!
20200111_212947.jpg

I have about 14 years worth of blades, the problem is,my preferences had changed and will likely change again, so most of these blades are not really my first choice anymore.

I guess the lesson learned is, anything over a hundred in any one brand is a gross overkill, unless you’re a kind of person who doesn’t like experimentation and just sticks to one brand for ever. But where’s fun in that ?

I will likely still occasionally buy 100 packs - it doesn’t make sense to me to spend $3-4 on a sample of 5-10 blades when a 100 pack is around $10. But, I am done with stashing them.

I don’t have many... at my peak probably close to 300. I have maybe 200 now... though I have another 100 in the mail. At $0.10 a blade though, I know a lot of guys who wet shave who’ve traded a slip of blades with me and is how I got to try blades I never got in my original sampler when I started out... and I’ve given away as many blades as I’ve used to guys starting out. I do think having more blades than you’d use in a lifetime and buying more of that same blade you don’t intend to give away is a bit pointless.

Buying more to try or with the intention to pass some along to someone else, especially if you’re stocked up blade is going out-of-production might have some merit. So far as the dollar amount of razors I’d need on hand to have a lifetime supply...$8-20 covers 2 years worth depending on brand and I probably need 40 years worth. That’s just in the realm of a few hundred bucks and that many would easily fit in the extra room under my vanity. So far as money is concerned, or the space they take up... I don’t think it’s a problem... unless you’re buying a second lifetime of the same blades. Then it just seems, again, pointless.

But if that makes someone happy, who am I to judge?

I've heard of those that collect vintage tucks with all their diversity of brand and graphics and I could see that being attractive from a collecting standpoint...though most of them wouldn't be in shape to be actually used.
And I could see collecting a diversity of modern tucks to try out the many offerings...
But collecting hundreds, even thousands of modern blades in bulk?
I only hope you're storing them in environmentally favourable conditions.
Once you get beyond a five year supply I think you're in danger of being committed!
Without getting into the pros and cons, all I use are vintage blades, I bought them at costs per shave equal or better than modern, which took some doing, and I have something around ten different varieties enough of to last the rest of my life. Call me crazy but I like them way better than modern and it was done to redirect a more costly brush acquisition disorder I felt coming on.

I spread em out in different places over the house so I don’t feel like I have that many. It’s embarrassing and if my wife were to see all of em she’d flip out. I’d say I have two thousand of all different kinds. I haven’t bought any this year and won’t.

I have about 14 years worth of blades, the problem is,my preferences had changed and will likely change again, so most of these blades are not really my first choice anymore.

I guess the lesson learned is, anything over a hundred in any one brand is a gross overkill, unless you’re a kind of person who doesn’t like experimentation and just sticks to one brand for ever. But where’s fun in that ?

I will likely still occasionally buy 100 packs - it doesn’t make sense to me to spend $3-4 on a sample of 5-10 blades when a 100 pack is around $10. But, I am done with stashing them.

I think that part of the problem is that as we age, both our beard hair and our skin tone changes. Thus, the blades that worked so well for us in the past might not work so well a few years into the future.

I recently purchased 1000 Wizamets for right at $150 shipped along with 1000 Perma Sharp Super blades for $85 shipped. I have hundreds of Nacet and Astra blades and have close to 600 Gillette Platinum (new Swedes) on the way.

I have a mixture of many other popular blades as well that all seem to work for me and I shave daily. My grandchildren shall wet shave.............I hope! (and I don't have grandchildren yet!)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have several thousand. Lost count a long time ago. I have several hundred vintage NOS blades, the rest new. I've been hording Wizamet and Polsilver blades recently. Just got 400 Polsilvers and have another 500 Wizamets on the way. I think I'm set for a while.

You need some Lord blades!
Hahahaha....I do have 2 types of Lord blades in my collection (in the picture). The Lord Cool SS blades are very dull whereas the other Blue colour Lord SS is good.
I need Permasharp, Persona, 7' O'clock Yellow and Black and Kai blades....that's what I need...

With the ability to get 14 shaves out of each DE blade and 7 shaves per single edge blade, I have enough blades to last me a little past the year 2200.
I have a little over 4600 DE blades and 170 SE blades.
I also have around 20 injector blades and 297 half DE blades ment for a shavette. These would give me another 6 years of shaves.
So I'll need to buy more blades towards the end of the year 2206.
Sadly, I'm looking to buy more blades again soon. But first, I need to buy another water tight storage box to put them in.

Sorry guys, anyone with enough blades to last 100 years and keep on buying DOES have a problem! Ok, they are not expensive, but you can't even do anything with them except shave. Do you also have loads of soap too? Sor5y if this sounds harsh, but ......

Sorry guys, anyone with enough blades to last 100 years and keep on buying DOES have a problem! Ok, they are not expensive, but you can't even do anything with them except shave. Do you also have loads of soap too? Sor5y if this sounds harsh, but ......

I regret saying this but Roy you are a jerk.You are on a. Forum that is a shaving addiction site and everyone one here is having fun with this and you tell us we have a problem and bring us down....go away!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Without getting into the pros and cons, all I use are vintage blades, I bought them at costs per shave equal or better than modern, which took some doing, and I have something around ten different varieties enough of to last the rest of my life. Call me crazy but I like them way better than modern and it was done to redirect a more costly brush acquisition disorder I felt coming on.
You probably dodged a bullet with the brushes my friend.

Top Bottom