What's new

Blackland Ti vs Rex Konsul vs ?

Hey guys,

I've been itching to try a more premium razor and have my eyes on the Blackland Ti and the Rex Konsul. Two very different razors, but I'm interested to hear the feedback. I've got sensitive skin on my neck (face isn't too bad) and I would say thinner, but coarse facial hair. I currently use a Merkur 34c (Wilkinson Sword, Personna Platinum are probably my favorite blades).

Any feedback or suggestions? Anything else I should be considering? Yates 921 is another that comes to mind

Last edited:
I have not tried any of Blackland's offerings, but the Konsul is a premium slant. Extremely efficient, and can be dialed back for more sensitive areas, as needed. Very much like my Karve, so good its boring.

If you like a razor with some positive blade exposure then I would highly recommend the Blackbird. I have the stainless version and it’s one of my top razors. Great performance.

If you like a razor with some positive blade exposure then I would highly recommend the Blackbird. I have the stainless version and it’s one of my top razors. Great performance.

What’s tough is I don’t really have any experience with more positive blade exposure since the Merkur 34C is pretty mild. I think Blackbird has a 10 day return policy if I remember correctly so wouldn’t be a big deal to at least try it though!

Hey guys,

I've been itching to try a more premium razor and have my eyes on the Blackland Ti and the Rex Konsul. Two very different razors, but I'm interested to hear the feedback. I've got sensitive skin on my neck (face isn't too bad) and I would say thinner, but coarse facial hair. I currently use a Merkur 34c (Wilkinson Sword, Personna Platinum are probably my favorite blades).

Any feedback or suggestions? Anything else I should be considering? Yates 921 is another that comes to mind
Hard to make a recommendation since I've never used the Konsul, but I have the regular ti BB, the lite, and the H and EH Yates.
Out of those, I'd probably recommend the lite, but you can't go wrong with the Yates. As Shane mentioned, you can always return it if you don't like it.
I can tell you that the lite is very efficient. Much more so that I thought. This is coming from someone who likes very efficient razors (1.55 wr2, regular BB, OC bronze Timeless, etc)

Both are smooth but the question is if you want bladefeel or not. You could try the lite and then get a Reg BB plate if you want more of it. Or get the Konsul if you want to try an adjustable. Konsul is heavier. I don’t have experience with the Yates …. Yet. The cool thing - all good choices.

I feel like I’d almost be more likely to try the Blackbird Ti first before I tried the Lite…

I feel like I’d almost be more likely to try the Blackbird Ti first before I tried the Lite…
It really takes any teeth out of the SS Blackbird and I would recommend it if you can swing it! It's actually what I did, get the best version first, now I have two and no need for the Lite plate unfortunately(but I kind of want one for my SS).

If you get a good, close shave from the 34C, you don't need a blackbird.

However, the blackbird lite may be worth a shot given you'll get one of the nicest razors on the market but with a slightly milder behaviour ("milder"...not "mild").

Yates M plate may be great for you. It's definitely premium and a bit more efficient than 34C.
It is also buttery smooth and looks great!

If you get a good, close shave from the 34C, you don't need a blackbird.

However, the blackbird lite may be worth a shot given you'll get one of the nicest razors on the market but with a slightly milder behaviour ("milder"...not "mild").

Yates M plate may be great for you. It's definitely premium and a bit more efficient than 34C.
It is also buttery smooth and looks great!
The 34C has been OK. I just got a Henson Medium and to be honest it’s the best shave I’ve had to date. A lot better than the 34C.

The 34C has been OK. I just got a Henson Medium and to be honest it’s the best shave I’ve had to date. A lot better than the 34C.

Nice!
If you're getting close and long lasting results, the Henson should do for you.
If you want something premium in steel, the Yates M should be good.

I just worry that even the blackbird lite may be too much for you...But given the 30 day trial period, I'd say go for it!

I didn't think I'd like the blackbird much...how wrong I was! It's been my daily driver for the last 12 months!!

I’ve not used any Rex products and can’t speak to them. The Blackbird for me is the best razor made. I have the SB in both SS and Titanium.

While the Blackbird has some blade feel, I find it to be guiding and not excessive. The Blackbird is a very efficient razor which for me translates to less total strokes (I shave daily and do three passes per shave) and experience no irritation. Higher gaps and not more blade exposure is what makes a razor feel more aggressive to me. The Blackbird does not feel even slightly aggressive to me, only efficient. Considering I always fancied myself as a “mild razor“ fan. Had Shane not convinced me to give the Blackbird a try and send it back if it wasn’t for me, I would have missed out on this great razor.

Everyone reports different results, but for me the greatest difference between the SS and Ti is the increased nimbleness of the titanium. My first choice is the Ti Bird and my second choice is the SS Bird.

Beautifully said!!

Every single aspect you mentioned rings so true!...

It's not an aggressive razor.
Very efficient.
Guiding blade feel.

Larger gaps make a razor more aggressive.
And I'd add, not necessarily more efficient. Because I've yet to use a more efficient razor than the blackbird!

I only differ in my choice of material as I prefer heavier razors. The SS machined and brass are both in my den and I feel I've now got my lifetime razors!

I’ve not used any Rex products and can’t speak to them. The Blackbird for me is the best razor made. I have the SB in both SS and Titanium.

While the Blackbird has some blade feel, I find it to be guiding and not excessive. The Blackbird is a very efficient razor which for me translates to less total strokes (I shave daily and do three passes per shave) and experience no irritation. Higher gaps and not more blade exposure is what makes a razor feel more aggressive to me. The Blackbird does not feel even slightly aggressive to me, only efficient. Considering I always fancied myself as a “mild razor“ fan. Had Shane not convinced me to give the Blackbird a try and send it back if it wasn’t for me, I would have missed out on this great razor.

Everyone reports different results, but for me the greatest difference between the SS and Ti is the increased nimbleness of the titanium. My first choice is the Ti Bird and my second choice is the SS Bird.

Top Bottom