What's new

Blackland Era thoughts

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I am sorry to see it discontinued. As a 3d printer, I jumped on the ERA immediately. I have 5 base plates, so I'm set. But I really hope it comes back at some point. It's a great platform, and shaves very well.

Yes, I have major regrets not getting the 5SB before this announcement. I thought I had plenty of time to test other things out but was sadly mistaken.

The 4SB is an amazing shaver but I would prefer a plate that’s a touch more aggressive and think the 5SB could be the perfect razor for me if I ever find a used plate from someone. I’m very hopeful someone will list theirs in the BST this month after trying it since a lot were just purchased with the sale.

Perhaps Blackland can reintroduce the ERA for limited runs using CNC for double the cost in the future? Just because they can’t 3D print it for cheap doesn’t mean they should give up on the design since it outshaves almost every other razor I’ve tested. I’m sure a lot of people would happily pay more for a CNC version like their other razors.

Just noticed the discontinuation (unfortunate for a good razor). Sadly I missed on the 4 sb that I'd kept meaning to get but added a 3 and 4 OC to go with my 3 sb - so good luck to anyone trying to add to their collections before it's all gone.
The 4 and 5SB are in stock right now with a complete razor.

Shaved with the 5SB today; half steep, half shallow. I even shaved “incorrectly”, if you will. It works, man. It works. Even the feel of using it wrong is not a big deal. Three weepers I didn’t even notice.

It’s one shave.

I kinda wanna sell my Athena to try some other stuff. I feel like the Era is my mild, and the Blackbird is my workhorse.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Shaved with the 5SB today; half steep, half shallow. I even shaved “incorrectly”, if you will. It works, man. It works. Even the feel of using it wrong is not a big deal. Three weepers I didn’t even notice.

It’s one shave.

I kinda wanna sell my Athena to try some other stuff. I feel like the Era is my mild, and the Blackbird is my workhorse.
Now is probably a great time to sell an Athena since so many people didn't end up getting theirs. These things run in cycles, as you know.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I doubt they'll last long... That's what I ordered, along with a 5OC because the 5SD was sold out. I just looked... a complete razor with a 3OC is still in stock... but the 3SB is history.

I doubt they'll last long... That's what I ordered, along with a 5OC because the 5SD was sold out. I just looked... a complete razor with a 3OC is still in stock... but the 3SB is history.
I believe the 3SB has been history since the beginning. The 4SB has come and went a few times and is the most commonly replenished plate. The 5SB sold out very quickly before I got the chance to grab one and then I checked the site multiple times a day and finally a couple was in stock a couple days back and I snagged one. I doubt there will be anymore 5s, but if you want a 4 I wouldn’t be surprised if more pop up if you keep refreshing the page.

The 4SB is mild to me and feels like most other really mild razors but is very efficient. I don’t care for aggressive razors so was very surprised by this. I can’t wait to try the 5SB out. I would have picked up a 3SB plate if there was one in stock to loan to friends/family interested in wet shaving as I bet it’s a perfect starter razor.

I’ve just ordered an Era 5OC with an extra 4OC plate and a stand. Been on the fence for a few days and finally decided to pull the trigger. Couldn’t resist such a great deal on a highly praised razor that will be going away, possibly for good. I have a Tatara Masamune which I like quite a bit but I want something more efficient. Hope these will be a good step up. Thought long and hard about the blackbird, but that’s a lot more expensive and it’ll still be there if I decide I need it in the future.

I bet you're going to really like the Era, I do!

I too have wondered about the Blackbird, it has lots of fans. With high exposure and less blade clamping, I am not sure I would like it and it is a big investment to try. I don't look for a challenge in shaving, so am not looking for a terribly aggressive razor.

I bet you're going to really like the Era, I do!

I too have wondered about the Blackbird, it has lots of fans. With high exposure and less blade clamping, I am not sure I would like it and it is a big investment to try. I don't look for a challenge in shaving, so am not looking for a terribly aggressive razor.
Those are my thoughts as well. While many love their blackbirds, many others feel that it is too much. It seems to be a love it or hate it razor. I’m not sure how feasible international returns are, but the Era seems like a safer bet, even with the higher plate options.

For those of you with a Rockwell 6S in Matte, its handle is a really nice match with the Era - both visually and weight.

proxy.php

proxy.php

For those of you with a Rockwell 6S in Matte, its handle is a really nice match with the Era - both visually and weight.

proxy.php

proxy.php
That does look great! I have a 6C so that wouldn’t work for me but the Rockwell handle does feel good. The stock ERA handle isn’t too bad either.

Im just a fan of the Razorock handles like the BarberPole even if it doesn’t match I use it on 90% of my razors anymore.

I love mine, L5 SB. Pairs up well with a very sharp blade. For me a 3 pass shave, ride the bar, neutral (in the middle), ride the cap, gives me an DFS+ or BBS every time. Does have some blade feel but in a good way, requires little to no pressure, little buffing in my trouble spots.
Aggressive plate? Is the blade strongly felt?

Top Bottom