What's new

Blackland Era thoughts

This past week I've tried the Level 4 SB and OC, as well as the Level 5 SB. No alignment issues.

Comfortable and smooth, trying to decide which of the two SB plates I'll keep. Ideal for me is decent blade feel and efficiency but can be used daily without irritation. I think that the 4 and 5 both accomplish that so far. Once again, very very smooth!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
This past week I've tried the Level 4 SB and OC, as well as the Level 5 SB. No alignment issues.

Comfortable and smooth, trying to decide which of the two SB plates I'll keep. Ideal for me is decent blade feel and efficiency but can be used daily without irritation. I think that the 4 and 5 both accomplish that so far. Once again, very very smooth!
I will say this. All the blades I've tried so far in my Era OC/L4 have worked great.

No alignment problems for me. OC levels 3 and 4. I should have gotten 4 and 5, I think. This seems like a perfect razor for a new shaver, or someone who does not want to pay much attention to shaving.

The handle is not my style. Too thick, too long for my taste. The ERA does not spend enough time in my rotation for me to get the 5 plate.

I'm really impressed with this razor! I have a pretty thick beard, but the level 4 sb base plate felt a bit aggressive. I'm now using the level 3 sb and it is perfect. I do my usual 2 pass shave and bbs every time, no irritation. It is not aggressive, but gives great feedback. I'm super impressed. I still love my gillette Tech and superspeed, but for a modern razor, this one checks all the boxes.
On the other hand, the overlander... not so much for me. That one will have to find a new home.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm really impressed with this razor! I have a pretty thick beard, but the level 4 sb base plate felt a bit aggressive. I'm now using the level 3 sb and it is perfect. I do my usual 2 pass shave and bbs every time, no irritation. It is not aggressive, but gives great feedback. I'm super impressed. I still love my gillette Tech and superspeed, but for a modern razor, this one checks all the boxes.
On the other hand, the overlander... not so much for me. That one will have to find a new home.
I find your issues with the Overlander interesting. I had mine plated in 24K hardened Gold by Chris Spencer @Black Roads Gold.... I don't recall if you did or not or if that makes any difference. I get along very well with my British Flat Bottom Tech so we have Tech's in common....

Sometimes, things are tough to figure out. With my AC razors, I can't get the Schick Proline P's to work for me and other people rave about them. The Overland for me was a nice match... just about the same as the Blutt BR-1 with the .86 base plate. But as we both know.... what works for others sometimes just doesn't work for someone else.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I find the OC plates smoother than the SB plates in the same level. Counterintuitive I know. Used a 5 SB plate last shave. Then used a 5 OC this past shave. The OC was smoother and closer.

Greetings!

The Blackland Era level 5 OC has quickly become one of my favorite razors! It effortlessly gives me very smooth and very close shaves! DFS+/BBS- results with my usual 2-pass shave + touchups. After most shaves, my alcohol-based aftershave lets me know the razor did a mighty fine job with very little irritation and redness. My wife usually concurs in the closeness department.

It is currently closely disputing the pole position with my Karve Alu G-plate OC, we’ll see…

Now, I just received a RR Lupo 95 OC that has so far impressed me quite a bit, but I just don’t have enough experience with it to make an accurate comparison. At this time, the RR is closely disputing 3rd and 4th places with a very dear and old friend of mine, the Fatip Piccolo OC.

I think I could perfectly live with these four razors alone for the rest of my life… Wait, strike that!!!

Another month with the Era, and it's still king in my den.

I had a hard time deciding between the level 4 and 5 plates. I decided that the best way to describe the differences between the two was:
  • Level 4 - Comfortable, not inefficient
  • Level 5 - Efficient, not uncomfortable
I ultimately kept the level 4, planning on it being the point of reference I would build my small collection of razors around. I have the Game Changer 84 when I want a smoother shave and the Lupo 95 for more efficiency. As of right now, these are the only razors I have in rotation. There are a few more I have my eye on, but my beginner's RAD has cooled down significantly. I'm sure it'll pick back up in a few months, but for now I'm more than happy with these three - especially my Era.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I'm on a lengthy road trip where I'm putting the ERA against the Lupo 95 SB. So far I have determined the level 5 OC plate is the king of the ERA plates. I brought 4 plates on the trip. But it is currently neck and neck between the Lupo 95 and the ERA 5 OC. I think the ERA is just slightly smoother for the same level of efficiency. I will keep testing on my next trip. Going home tomorrow.

Yes, one of my favorite razors too, thanks for the incredible design, Shane!

I ordered one more base plate to keep my Era and me happy.

A great shame to see the Era discontinued, and I guess before the full potential of the concept could be explored. But it is no less of an achievement to have made this happen and I do not doubt that we can count on Blackland for more great products and innovation in future. 3d printing is the future, for razors and many, many other things, and this will always be the first. Hats off to Shane and his partners. 🥂

Shane, I can honestly tell you the Era is a razor I will never part with. It's been nothing but great for me. It will hold a lofty place in my collection. Thank you, sir!

A great shame to see the Era discontinued, and I guess before the full potential of the concept could be explored. But it is no less of an achievement to have made this happen and I do not doubt that we can count on Blackland for more great products and innovation in future. 3d printing is the future, for razors and many, many other things, and this will always be the first. Hats off to Shane and his partners. 🥂
I want to echo all of this. Such a shame. It’s the smoothest shaving experience I’ve ever had and it’s not close - and the least blade dependent as well. I just ordered a 2 OC and 4 sb to go with my 2 sb and 3 oc. I’d have gotten a 3 sb, but it was already sold out.

Top Bottom