What's new

Blackland Era thoughts

L5 is a little more aggressive and does have more blade feel but not in a bad way. Still very comfortable and efficient. For me most of the blade feel is around and above the lips. Blade is clamped tight, no feeling of going to bite, just a little more blade feel.

45A2D804-CF23-4C4D-99D9-5CD72E944EFC.jpeg

This is my setup for the last few days. B&M products absolutely on point, no surprises there.

First few shaves with the Era level 4 OC. Very easy to use. I was slightly weary of this razor because it is my first OC and I expected level 4 to be quite aggressive. Not at all. Blade feel is very similar to a 34C In my opinion, but smoother. A great shave overall. Just about BBS in 3 passes. I could have stopped at 2 but it was so easy and drama free that I kept going. Zero irritation of any kind. Very little left to shave 24 hrs later, it is deceptively efficient. I will keep going with this plate for the next couple weeks. I have an level 5 OC plate that I’m very much looking forward to try now.

I had my first shave with the Era SB2. Overall, I was a little disappointed with the shave. The build quality was first rate, but I could only squeeze a Socially Acceptable Shave despite using four passes. Maybe it will improve with time and experience. I was debating between the SB2 and the OC3. I prefer safety bar razors and usually lean toward gentle razors so I went with the SB2.

After the first shave with the SB2, I went ahead and ordered the OC4.

Eric

I had my first shave with the Era SB2. Overall, I was a little disappointed with the shave. The build quality was first rate, but I could only squeeze a Socially Acceptable Shave despite using four passes. Maybe it will improve with time and experience. I was debating between the SB2 and the OC3. I prefer safety bar razors and usually lean toward gentle razors so I went with the SB2.

After the first shave with the SB2, I went ahead and ordered the OC4.

Eric
I started out with the OC4 and it was surprisingly mild, I probably wouldn’t go any milder then that. I also have an OC5 that I’m looking forward to try.

I like mild razors and I started out with the SB2 and it did a fine job, but required a lot of buffing. I returned it and bought an SB4 and think that is terrific.

@hduty has a post in the BST forum wanting to trade an SB2 for an SB5. Have you seen that?

I had my second shave with the Blackland Era SB2 razor. It went a little better than the first one in that I didn't quite get to DFS, but I only used 3 passes plus touchups. An improvement. Also a positive about using the very mild SB2 is that I am not getting any irritation. I don't chase BBS but I would like to get to DFS shaves with this setup. Endeavor to Persevere.

Eric

I had my second shave with the Blackland Era SB2 razor. It went a little better than the first one in that I didn't quite get to DFS, but I only used 3 passes plus touchups. An improvement. Also a positive about using the very mild SB2 is that I am not getting any irritation. I don't chase BBS but I would like to get to DFS shaves with this setup. Endeavor to Persevere.

Eric
I think maybe like me, you would be happy with a Level 3 plate. They had been sold out way before the discontinuation notice and sale thus, I never got one. I have 1,2,4,5 and man do I wish I could try a 3.

A few more shaves in with OC4. It’s very good, even better then I initially thought. I had to slow down and really pay attention to properly appreciate this razor. Very efficient, smooth, and easy. Feather blade. No irritation at all even on the usual trouble spots. I don’t go ATG. 2 passes, WTG and XTG, touch ups if required. Very close shave and totally comfortable. No drama whatsoever. Used with B&M products my skin was looking and feeling great all day long. Smelled like a million bucks too.

I was planning to continue with OC4 for a while and evaluate different blades in it, but I’m too tempted to try my OC5 plate. I’ll be starting with that one tomorrow.

I find myself in a bit of a conundrum. As much as I am enjoying this razor, and I really am, if I hadn’t gotten it I might justify getting the new blackbird lite for the holidays. Then again, that one will still be around next time RAD kicks in hard. I’m just not one of these guys that hoards a hundred different razors. Budget is also a limiting factor.

Last edited:
... Also a positive about using the very mild SB2 is that I am not getting any irritation. I don't chase BBS but I would like to get to DFS shaves with this setup. Endeavor to Persevere.

Eric
I use the 2sb when I’m giving my face a break or when I shave in the evening. It’s literally more comfortable than not shaving, but I couldn’t use it as my only plate. Using a Kai blade helps, but it’s just not great at shaving close. I have the 2sb, 2oc, 3oc and 4sb and really like them all, but I’d have trouble narrowing to just 1. Right now I’m enjoying alternating every other day between the 2sb and 4sb. The 3oc is really nice, but a little much for me to use daily. If I only shaved every other day I’d go with the 4sb over the 3oc. Without ever using it, I’d guess the 3sb is the sweet spot if you only choose 1 plate.

A couple shaves in with OC5 and a feather blade. What a great razor. I liked OC4, but I love OC5. Even more efficient but still very safe and smooth and didn’t cause me any irritation. The added efficiency allowed me to use a lighter touch with great results. There really is something to be said about this head design and the way it clamps the blade so close to the edge. Very pleased with the Era and my first experience with Blackland.

Anyone else with an Era have issues with blade alignment not being perfect when tightening the handle? I have to unscrew and re-center the blade and top cap every time I tighten. Shane replaced my original top cap and it’s a bit better that the original was but still not nearly as spot-on as my other DE razors.
I have 2 different base plates and they behave exactly the same - the blade alignment is wonky unless I spend extra time holding the parts together while tightening. And even then, the blade typically sticks out a bit more on one side compared to the other and is sometimes not parallel with the safety bar. This is with several different blades I like.
Does it affect my shave? Probably not, but the fact I can’t just tighten and go without spending extra time aligning things bothers me, especially when compared to others in my collection. Not a deal breaker but I do find myself choosing other razors over the Era when shaving.
Apparently, I also have such a problem. After several attempts, it is possible to install exactly. If not, then I shave like this.

20221213_095457.jpg

No problems with mine either. I treat it like any of my other razors and just eyeball it to make sure it’s even before I put the baseplate on and tighten.

Yes, pretty much how my alignment is, possibly even worse than your picture. I don't reach for this razor too often because of how much I have to fiddle with it as I tighten the handle and still end up with alignment issues. All looks good as I'm tightening but the last twist sends the blade off kilter and moreso on one side. I can hear the top cap clamping the blade and I think perhaps the micro-lines from the final milling or 3D printing are off just enough to cause this. I don't know... The replacement top cap I received has the same issue. Compared to my other razors, the tolerance between top cap and base plates is a bit sloppy, imo. I have 4 plates and it's the same with all.
Oh well... love Shane's designs and am anxiously awaiting my Blackbird Lite polished!

Today I shaved with Era plate 4. I set the blade almost evenly:biggrin1:. Close shave skin is as clean as a baby's. The behavior of the razor on the face, the weight and balance of the razor gives an understanding that you are holding in your hands not just a razor, but a work of art. Thanks to the author.

Top Bottom