What's new

Big day - my son's first razor

Phil, I am gonna be a wet blanket here. He is starting to shave every couple weeks. Okay. Loan him a Tech. Let him adjust to shaving. See if he buys in. He may, gasp, decide he wants an electric, or carts. Give him some time. See if he develops a preference for old, new, long handle, bulldog, etc. Don't push it. If and when he is ready to commit, let him have a voice in the selection. Maybe high school graduation time. Don't rush it. Meanwhile, buy him his own brush. Not a forever one, just a brush. My two cents.
Some well thought out advice here. A loaner (one he would likely end up keeping) might indeed be the best place to start.

If you are going the keepsake route, how about getting the family razors re-plated?

Or you could have him choose a razor he likes to use from your collection and have it either replated or color cerakoted something he likes personally.

For a kid that young, I'd be a bit weary of getting them something too expensive or fancy. Summer camps might prohibit them, dumb friends might want to try them(with or without permission), the clumsiness that comes with a growth spurt, you know how it goes.

He's interested in the wet shave stuff. He has a Fatboy on permanent "loan" and he borrowed my 37c last night to see what he thought about a slant. I fully expect him to also try an electric, carts etc. over the years. I know he may put the razor I give him in a drawer and forget about it until some day when he finds it again. I just remember when my grandfather gave me my first razor - a flair tip super speed - and every time I even see that razor in the stash, and especially when I use it, I think about him. Guess I'm just trying to recreate that a little.

Just a thought..... if my dad had given me a razor engraved with my name or something special....whether or not I got into DE wouldn’t matter I would cherish that razor FOREVER!!!
I am now 40 yo and still have a simple key chain I use on my key ring that my dad had given me when I was probably 15yrold. So I say an ATT or charcoal engraved that he could look at every once in a while(or use!) and pickup and think of his old man :>)

Just my .02

Get him a Weishi 9306-F.

Travel case with a mirror, cleaning brush and blades for $11.62. A perfect shaver for a beginner. The Weishi is a high quality, chrome plated brass shaver (a Gillette Super Speed clone).

https://www.amazon.com/WEISHI-9306-Double-Safety-Razor/dp/B00HD6MJLC/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1508181057&sr=8-1&keywords=weishi+9306&th=1

Don't spend big $ until your sure he's going the DE route.
proxy.php

Last edited:
You could check Amazon and see if you can buy a razor from 'The Bombay Shaving Company'. It's a modern Indian company and they make a sexy, sexy razor. I'm sure a boy or a young man would definitely appreciate it. The heft is just right and the matte finish is a thing of beauty.
image-1.jpg

Top Bottom