What's new

Betcha can't build just one (AR).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Tanks! I at least I got my RDS roughly sighted in at 25 yds. Of course the loads I was shooting for barrel break-in will strike the target at a different point than the loads I'll be shooting later on, so further adjustments will be needed later when I shoot full velocity loads.

When you do sight in after your barrel break in, I would do a 50 yd zero instead of 25. That will give you and the 3x magnifier an inch low at 50, an inch high at 100 and dead on again at 200. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
OK, you have me confused. "Zero at 50" but still be an inch low at 50?

OkieStubble

OK, you have me confused. "Zero at 50" but still be an inch low at 50?

Inch low at 25! My bad! My Bad!!! :) I'm always tired and gettin' old!

But if we wanted to be technical about it:

25 yds -1.25"

50 yds 0

100 yds +1.5"

150 yds +1.4"

200 yds 0"

225 yds -1.4"

250 yds -3.5"

:)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I finished the barrel break-in with the Tubb Final Finish loads today. As expected, I had to re-adjust my sights once I switched to lighter and faster bullets. I shot some handloads I just pulled out of the reloading manual for 55 gr. FMJBT, no load development, and some Federal American Eagle 55 gr. FMJBT. The random handload shot a little better than the AEs. I really could not shoot a small group at 100 yds. using the SIG Romeo 5 RDS, with my astigmatism, the red dot is asymmetric and not real precise. About the best I could do was about a 2 in. group at 100 yds. Hopefully the gun will shoot much better than that once I can actually develop an accurate handload and can put some glass on the rifle. The Larue trigger is certainly not a match grade trigger, but I think it is well suited for a "run and gun" set-up. I will be shooting my new AR build in a match next week and will comment on the trigger more after that. I think I ended up with my RDS shooting about an inch low +/- at 25 yds. and about 1 in. high +/- at 100 yds (hard to tell with a 2 in. group!).

It can be quite addicting building these rifles. I've built 8, still have 6. I've got my M16A1, M16A2, M16A4, XM177E2 and 635 clones built. Also have my modern freefloat build. Still have the XM4 and M4 clones to build as well as a .458 SOCOM and 9MM in the plans. I've gotten in the habit of buying stripped lowers when I find them at a reasonable cost. My wife asked me not that long ago if I saved money by building them and I just laughed. No, but they are exactly the way I want them from the start and not what someone else thinks I want. I also know exactly what is inside them.

When you do sight in after your barrel break in, I would do a 50 yd zero instead of 25. That will give you and the 3x magnifier an inch low at 50, an inch high at 100 and dead on again at 200. :)
I used to have a "ballistics calculator" probably somewhere in my safe, a freebie given out by Marlin arms back in the late 50's-early 60's listing most of the popular calibers of that era. It was a folded printed cardboard slide rule device, really simple. Most cartridges like the 5.56, which had not then been developed showed a 25 yard zero, which gave a 100 yard POI as 2 3/4-3 1/4 inches high and a dead on zero at about 225-240 yards. I have been zeroing at 25 for the last 60 years and checking my 100 yard POI, and knowing about what the absolute zero distance will be. It has been a good guide to follow and that knowledge has served me well.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Looking forward to hearing how the match went.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
It got canceled under threat of hurricane Sally, which didn't happen for us in SE LA. Rescheduled for next week? TBD.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
We were lucky, just out of Sally's reach on the west side of the storm. Nothing but some mild blustery winds.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It can be quite addicting building these rifles. ....My wife asked me not that long ago if I saved money by building them and I just laughed. No, but they are exactly the way I want them from the start and not what someone else thinks I want. I also know exactly what is inside them.

^ This!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So my desired Aero Precision Atlas S One 12 in. handguard arrived today. I will probably wait a while before I swap it out and continue to use the heavier AP Quantum HG that's on the gun now. The Raptor NP3 charging handle is estimated to arrive towards the end of next month. The Spikes/Superlative Arms adjustable gas block not until late November. Probably won't wait for the gb to change out the handguard. When I do change out the handguards, I intend to lap the receiver face before resetting the barrel and bed the barrel extension with Loktite 620. I want to develop some handloads as the gun is now, put some glass on it and shoot it for accuracy, and then see if lapping/bedding has any effect on accuracy. This is probably overkill for this build, but I want to practice the techniques prior to attempting a later accuracy build 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
So I finished the barrel break-in with the Tubb Final Finish loads today. As expected, I had to re-adjust my sights once I switched to lighter and faster bullets. I shot some handloads I just pulled out of the reloading manual for 55 gr. FMJBT, no load development, and some Federal American Eagle 55 gr. FMJBT. The random handload shot a little better than the AEs. I really could not shoot a small group at 100 yds. using the SIG Romeo 5 RDS, with my astigmatism, the red dot is asymmetric and not real precise. About the best I could do was about a 2 in. group at 100 yds. Hopefully the gun will shoot much better than that once I can actually develop an accurate handload and can put some glass on the rifle. The Larue trigger is certainly not a match grade trigger, but I think it is well suited for a "run and gun" set-up. I will be shooting my new AR build in a match next week and will comment on the trigger more after that. I think I ended up with my RDS shooting about an inch low +/- at 25 yds. and about 1 in. high +/- at 100 yds (hard to tell with a 2 in. group!).

Rich Langner offers a first-rate targeting software system with his bore sights. But you have to buy his laser boresight to get it.

If you do more than a couple rifle and/or optics jobs a year, his products are worth every penny in recovered time and test loads.

Last edited:
It got canceled under threat of hurricane Sally, which didn't happen for us in SE LA. Rescheduled for next week? TBD.
I grew up and went to school in W. Monroe/Monroe and sat through a couple of hurricanes there, still no fun, then was in the USAF at Eglin, AFB, Ft Walton, FLa, when we had one come ashore between us and Panama City. Saw built up roofs of tar paper, tar and heavy rock peel off base housing and fly off into the wind and decided then I never wanted to be close to the coast. At least here in E. Texas, about 200 miles from coast, winds diminish quite a bit before hitting.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I grew up and went to school in W. Monroe/Monroe and sat through a couple of hurricanes there, still no fun, then was in the USAF at Eglin, AFB, Ft Walton, FLa, when we had one come ashore between us and Panama City. Saw built up roofs of tar paper, tar and heavy rock peel off base housing and fly off into the wind and decided then I never wanted to be close to the coast. At least here in E. Texas, about 200 miles from coast, winds diminish quite a bit before hitting.
I had the pleasure of being in Tampa when Elena hit us head on and was in Crystal River when Andrew hit Miami. The winds were still hitting 75MPH 300 miles from the eye. I'm with you! DONE with that nonsense! AR is nice. It's hot but no hurricanes and only the very rare blizzard. The ice storm of 2000 kinda sucked as we lost power for something like 30 days. Not a big deal as we had wood heat and a generator but a chainsaw was a mandatory piece of kit in your car for a long time!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Finally got to shoot my gun in a match today, came in third. The gun performed fine and I really like the LaRue MBT trigger for this style of shooting. I think it would be a good duty trigger, if there is no agency mandate, or self defense trigger as well.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A61DEE31-9BD2-44C1-987D-558708E2B0BF.jpeg

That is my gun center in the rack between two others with much slimmer handguards, my handguard definitely needs to be changed out! Luckily, a shooting buddy wants to buy it from me when I swap it out. Win, win!

I had the pleasure of being in Tampa when Elena hit us head on and was in Crystal River when Andrew hit Miami. The winds were still hitting 75MPH 300 miles from the eye. I'm with you! DONE with that nonsense! AR is nice. It's hot but no hurricanes and only the very rare blizzard. The ice storm of 2000 kinda sucked as we lost power for something like 30 days. Not a big deal as we had wood heat and a generator but a chainsaw was a mandatory piece of kit in your car for a long time!
I was at an AMSUS, Association of Military Surgeions of the US, convention in Orlando sometime in the mid 90's when a hurricaine, may have been degraded to tropical storm came across from west to east. Luckily that day I was in the hotel where meetings were being held and did not have to get out in it. Palm fronds were blowing everywhere. People from upper midwest, southwest, northwest could not believe the ferocity of the storm and it was not what I would have called a bad one at that point.

OkieStubble

Finally got to shoot my gun in a match today, came in third. The gun performed fine and I really like the LaRue MBT trigger for this style of shooting. I think it would be a good duty trigger, if there is no agency mandate, or self defense trigger as well.

Interesting. I think my humble budget might be able to acquire a Larue trigger. :)

Top Bottom