What's new

Betcha can't build just one (AR).

I'm looking back now with great satisfaction at my decision to buy some lowers last year that were on sale-- just in case. I got a heck of a deal, and the Aero lowers are rock solid and just happen to be cheap. Definitely not low end quality.

I only have one completed rifle. DDM4V11pro ca. 2012. It's an excellent rifle with an especially good barrel. Match accuracy in a chromed CHF barrel. I bought my first AR and made it a quality model because I didn't know if I'd get any more and if my build skills weren't adequate, I wanted at least one solid rifle I could trust.

I have a complete "precision" lower I built for match use: Geissele HSNM trigger, A5 buffer, on the Aero base. The Aero stripped lower is nicerthan my DD, honestly. The DD magwell is a bit too tight for rapid mag changes. The Aero gobbles any mag eagerly yet still has no slop/play.

I can justify a couple rifles for different roles. One, a precision/SPR kind of rifle. This is the V11 DD I already have. I can see another role for a lightweight carbine in 5.56. Shorter range, red dot. I can see another role in a pistol with a shorter barrel chambered in something more optimal for that role than 5.56--probably 300bo in a PDW type application.

Also, since two is one and one is none, I think you select your critical role rifle (bombproof lightweight carbine) and build a copy of it. Think of it as spare parts, but in a form much more useful.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm looking back now with great satisfaction at my decision to buy some lowers last year that were on sale-- just in case. I got a heck of a deal, and th

I can justify a couple rifles for different roles. One, a precision/SPR kind of rifle. This is the V11 DD I already have. I can see another role for a lightweight carbine in 5.56. Shorter range, red dot. I can see another role in a pistol with a shorter barrel chambered in something more optimal for that role than 5.56--probably 300bo in a PDW type application.

Also, since two is one and one is none, I think you select your critical role rifle (bombproof lightweight carbine) and build a copy of it. Think of it as spare parts, but in a form much more useful.

We think alike. I have two purchased Bushmaster ARs, built a .300 BO pistol, this lightweight carbine and next will be a precision 6.5 Grendel.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , I was able to use the "CAGE" device on my VG6 Epsilon muzzle device at our weekly RSO match this AM. I shot the first stage of the match without it and shot the subsequent stages with it. I pointed that out to the RO who was timing the match and therefore standing close to me and he was the one who had complained before. He confirmed that it was less obnoxious with the CAGE on. I, as shooter, did not really notice the difference as I was more concerned with making accurate hits. However, another late arriving bystander commented on how loud my gun was, but wasn't there when I shot without the CAGE. So it is obviously an objective as well as a subjective experience. I need to shoot it with and without the CAGE at a time I'm not concentrating on speed and accuracy under the stress of a match where I can pay more attention to recoil and muzzle blast. If I had it to do over again, I would probably use a different muzzle device. I selected this one in a hope of it facilitating rapid follow up shots and mitigating recoil. It doesn't hurt that it really looks cool too (the Epsilon, not the CAGE). But that is not a good enough reason to get one. I will probably eventually replace it with a flash hider that facilitates the use of a sound suppressor. If I was most concerned about bystander comfort, short of getting a suppressor, I would use a forward directing device like the Noveske Flaming Pig like I put on my .300 BO. If I was most concerned about flash suppression, short of a sound suppressor, I'd use a three prong flash hider.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
E861496E-EC08-4C7C-8881-E5D868493084.jpeg

Side view of CAGE device.

D79268AF-469D-4C86-B8E9-A4D06BC32540.jpeg

Top view.

EFC315BF-12FD-498A-8E1B-6858963CCD89.jpeg

Bottom view.

So the CAGE device does not cover any of the top or bottom ports, It only covers and moderates the large side ports, but doesn't completely obstruct them.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Great review @nortac! Your review perfectly answers a few questions I had concerning getting a compensated brake for the wife to shoot.

The Epsilon is actually considered to be a hybrid between all three, which is a hard task to ask if it. It doesn’t do any certain one as well as one that is specifically designed to just be a comp, brake or flash hider, but I do think it is one of the better hybrids out there.

I do believe it would help the wife control the muzzle on a 16” barreled Colt for training while the cage would help reduce any negative effects if she say, used it inside for HD.

I would still have her keep a pair of electronic muffs close to the rifle if she decided to grab it in the middle of the night if/when I’m at work.

I’m not one who desires to put a can on a 16” rifle whose caliber is going to crack the sound barrier anyway, but hopefully the goal will be to own a couple of SBR’s one day chambered in .300BO and maybe 9 or 10mm. Then a can and subsonic makes a lot of sense inside the 4 walls. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I'm beginning to gear up for my 6.5 Grendel upper build. I placed an order for an upper receiver that I anticipated to be back ordered for some months but was surprised to see that it has already shipped! I have had a 6.5 G BCG ordered which is supposed to ship this coming week. The barrel I want is also available, not sure if I should order it now or try to hold off for a bit. Try to spread out the expense or get it while it's available just in case. Decisions, decisions.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Short decision process, probably to no ones surprise! JP Enterprise 22 in. 6.5 G barrel with headspaced bolt ordered, along with a JP adjustable gas block.

I've switched from Yankee Hill phantom flash hiders with teeth to three pronged Silencerco ASR flash hider on several rifles. Liberty makes an adapter that works with a Silencerco mount so I can quickly swap my Cosmic 45acp silencer around from rifle to rifle.

It's not as quiet as a dedicated 22 can but I can also use it on several pistols and the 450 Bushmaster and 458 Socom. Make shooting under the metal roof at my range much more pleasant.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It will be awhile before I could consider another can. Looking hard at the VG6 Lambda muzzle brake for the 6.5G AR upper. The biggest hold up will be ammo and reloading supplies. I have the die set backordered, hopefully I will get it in May.

Last edited:
Not exactly an AR, but I am getting back into air guns. I picked up a couple of old S&W M78g CO2 guns patterned after my M41 22LR target pistol, fantastic shooter. I have a Crossman 2300s on order and a few upgrade parts, adjustable two stage trigger, power adjuster and a few other things. Just finished zeroing a big Diana 54 AirKing Pro with a big Hawke scope this afternoon. I used a SportsMax adjustable mount so did most of the zeroing with the mount to keep the scope reticule centered and just use it for fine tuning. That thing is a bear to **** and I am redeveloping some unused muscles. With the ammo shortages I want to keep what I have, and air guns will help there, plus be much more economical.

My son and grandson made it over last Thanksgiving and the 9 year old wanted to shoot , never having done so, so two trips to the range, 50miles one way , He went through about $70 of 22Lr over those two days learning to shoot, doing quite well and I was surprised that he prefered a bolt action to a semi auto or my lever actions. He also tried a 32-20 and my 6.5 Grendel but was having more fun with the .22. Second day we let him try some handguns. He like the K 22 and even better a Ruger single six. Also fired a couple of cylinders of 38 in my K 38 and one 9mm shot in my Sig P365. we only loaded one cartridge for safeties sake in the semi auto.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I decided to go with a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block instead of the JP unit. Order placed for same. Also ordered the VG6 PRS65 Lambda muzzle brake and another Radian charging handle. Not much available in handguards for the moment. I have a Yankee Hill handguard that I could use until what I want becomes available.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've switched from Yankee Hill phantom flash hiders with teeth to three pronged Silencerco ASR flash hider on several rifles. Liberty makes an adapter that works with a Silencerco mount so I can quickly swap my Cosmic 45acp silencer around from rifle to rifle.

It's not as quiet as a dedicated 22 can but I can also use it on several pistols and the 450 Bushmaster and 458 Socom. Make shooting under the metal roof at my range much more pleasant.

I've got a couple of the YHM Phantom flash hiders to support my YHM suppressor.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I just got in my Aero Precision upper for my 6.5 G build and I lucked out and actually was able to respond to a "now available" email from AP for their M5 Enhanced AR10 upper. I wasn't quick enough for a separate email alert on the lower receiver. Grabbing parts while I still can, even though the AR10 build is way off in the future!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Now I have an Aero Precision M5 lower ordered to be sent to my LGS. Dang, now I'll have to buy two long range scopes this year!

Mine are unfortunately the plain version. Liberty has recently come out with an adapter that works with the Yankee Hill suppressor mounts as well.

If you need a truly flexible can the Liberty Cosmic is hard to beat. So far I've used it for 45acp on a USP Tactical, 458 Socom AR, 450 Bushmaster ruger scout rifle, 9mm KelTec sub2000. I have 2 9mm pistols I acquired in the last year that I finally got pistons for, a p226 with their bastard thread and a CZ SP101. Can use 308 and 30-06 based cartridges with at least a 20 inch barrel.

I'm kind of cheerleading but I've been very satisfied with my investment. It does everything I wanted it to do and then some. They added the rifle cartridges to the approved list while I was waiting for it to clear NFA jail.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Ah for the good old days when there was gear aplenty and you could thumb through Gun List and Shotgun News and watch everybody compete on price. Remember $50 lowers?

All you needed for a rewarding weekend project was maybe $1000 (depending on your bbl. and trigger mostly), a good bench vise, a small handful of armorer's tools, Clint McKee's book, a little common sense and an understanding wife.

True, the gear has gotten better and more sophisticated, but it is a disturbing sign of the times when one needs to wait months for parts that were almost universally in stock just a few years ago.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
24115AF8-52CA-4E94-8E4B-931B55772F8A.jpeg

I began building my 6.5 Grendel upper by lapping the receiver face. I "bedded" the JP barrel with Loctite 620 Retaining Compound. Torqued the YHM barrel nut to 65 lbs.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
981E1B36-8FC7-4AF5-AA82-BA03D14D5817.jpeg

End result (So far). I've had the Yankee Hill Machine handguard on hand for some time. Initially it was a temporary fix to just get the barrel bedded, but I may keep it. It's a bit short but having the Superlative Arms adjustable gas block exposed could be advantageous. Time will tell. The JP came with a head-spaced bolt, but I'm still awaiting for an Aero Precision complete BCG and a charging handle, both on back order. The VG6 muzzle brake looks awesome, can't wait to try it out. May be some time until any 6.5G ammo is available.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yup. The existing lower I will pair it with has a MagPul PRS stock and a JP single stage trigger. Eventually I'll have to pair it all up with some decent glass.

Top Bottom