What's new

Betcha can't build just one (AR).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
After assembling my .300 Blackout AR pistol a few months ago, I've got a hankering to build another AR. I don't have a light weight flatop AR carbine in .223/5.56, so I've started the process of acquiring all the goodies. Unfortunately, current events has most things back-ordered or not available at this time.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I just ordered today an Aero Precision .223 Wylde 16 in. fluted SS barrel, should be here in a couple of weeks or less. I've also ordered a Spikes Tactical (rebranded Superlative Arms) adjustable gas block and a VG6 Epsilon muzzle brake in SS. Those will probably arrive around the same time. On back order are an Aero Precision ATLAS S-One 15 in. handguard, an Aero Precision M4E1 Upper receiver and the gas tube. Those are liable to take a couple of months or more.
I just received a SIG Romeo5 RDS and a SIG Juliet3 3x magnifier that I intend to use on this build.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I happen to have on hand a Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist stock in grey that I had bought on sale. With the SS barrel and muzzle brake and black receiver, I've decided to do a black/silver and grey theme. I plan to use an Ergo Grip 2 Suregrip in Graphite Grey and Ergo Grip Grey rail covers. I also plan to use a Radian Arms Raptor charging handle in NP3 finish. I will also use an Aero Precision NiBoron BCG. I'm not sure what other grey or silver accents I'll use, but I'll try to keep it reasonable, not too pimped out!

Last edited:
I‘ve had a lower for over a year. The problem is what way to go with it since I already have the standard mid flatop 223. Really leaning towards a retro A2 or something. But your right, everything firearm related is scarce.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My Bushmaster Disipator Carbine kinda covers the A2 vibe and I have another Bushmaster flat top with a 20 in. barrel with an early Magpull PRS stock, so not really a light rifle. The later really needs to be updated because of the 1:9 twist barrel. After I complete the current project, I may build a 6.5 Grendel upper for it.

I'm considering a lightweight 6.8 SPC and have barrels to do a 450BM and a rimless 357 maximum, got that before the legend came out. Oh well. ARs are tinkertoys for grown men.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I just ordered today an Aero Precision .223 Wylde 16 in. fluted SS barrel, should be here in a couple of weeks or less. I've also ordered a Spikes Tactical (rebranded Superlative Arms) adjustable gas block and a VG6 Epsilon muzzle brake in SS. Those will probably arrive around the same time. On back order are an Aero Precision ATLAS S-One 15 in. handguard, an Aero Precision M4E1 Upper receiver and the gas tube. Those are liable to take a couple of months or more.
I just received a SIG Romeo5 RDS and a SIG Juliet3 3x magnifier that I intend to use on this build.

Wylde should be fun to play around with on the press. You always got great taste, VG6 is a great brake.

I got the "bug" some years back when I got interested in the 6.5 Grendel caliber, ended up "building" three in that caliber and two in 5.56 before I was cured.

OkieStubble

I got the "bug" some years back when I got interested in the 6.5 Grendel caliber, ended up "building" three in that caliber and two in 5.56 before I was cured.

Lol’d. This is why I like to help friends build their rifles. I have a buddy who has 15 builds.

OkieStubble

Interesting you started out with 300 blackout, most people start .223. I have 5 or 6, a couple to build.

I have helped people build a few dozen. I own a couple complete AR’s. Have done barrel swaps, parts kits and drop ins to upgrade or replace worn components.

When I do build my first, it will probably also be .300 BO and 9mm. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Interesting you started out with 300 blackout, most people start .223. I have 5 or 6, a couple to build.
If you are referring to me, I already had two commercial Bushmaster .223 ARs. I wanted something unique (to me) and customized to my specifications.

I suspect that a lot of us here are retired or former military. I am in a rather unique class, what they call honorarily retired. I had ten years active and was passed over for Maj. during the Vietnam drawdown, stayed away for ten years, but did not know that they had put me in and indefinite period of inactive reserve, ie the clock was still ticking for time in service, but not counting toward any retirement benefits. Went active reserve in time to be called up for Desert Storm, and ended up staying up 7 years, making Maj, and at that 7 year point I actually hit the 27 year mark for longevity. Needed 3 more years for standard retirement, but since I could not make Full Col by that point, I was honorarily retired. That certificate, nice looking, and a couple of bucks can get me a cup of coffee.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've ordered a few more odds and ends for my build. Parts should be trickling in over the next few weeks, but not enough to begin assembling anything. My barrel should arrive first this Wednesday. The biggest sticking point for assembling the upper may be the adjustable gas block. If everything else for the upper arrives, I may go with a standard gas block temporarily. I ordered some titanium parts, not for weight reduction, but more for the color scheme. I know, waste of money, but I want what I want! Most of it is by V Seven, Ti Castle nut and end-plate with QD mount hole, Ti take down and pivot pins, Ti magazine catch/release and an NP3 coated aluminum forward assist, even though my upper receiver already has a forward assist installed. It will match nicely with the Radian Raptor charge handle in NP3! On back order is a Magpul M-lok angled foregrip in grey. I only bought it because it was grey! Not sure if I will use it, but it was on sale, so why not? To round things out, I ordered another Elftmann Ambi Speed Safety in SS finish. Of course , the lower receiver will be a big sticking point as far as availability is concerned. If I get the upper built, I may temporarily put it on one of my Bushmaster lowers, even though is has an A2 stock and service grade trigger. Time will tell.

I can't remember how many AR's I've built.
Without going to count, I can't tell you how many I have at the moment.
all but 1 are home built lowers, with two exceptions, one being my Colt 6933 factory SBR. It's currently wearing a home built 727 upper (A2 upper receiver, M4 profile 14.5" barrel, skinny CAR handguards).
Most of my uppers are home built, with the exception of the 6933 factory upper (10.5" flat top), my Noveske 10.5" Switchblock, my LWRC M6 10.5" piston upper, and my FN GI surplus 20" upper on my A2 clone.
The other exception is my Colt 6450 9MM carbine, which I registered as an SBR and built a 5.5" flat top upper for wit ha TROS 3 lug barrel mated to a Gemtech 9mm Multimount with the 3 lug adapter.
And I still have several lowers that need to be built into full lowers.
I haven't messed with .300BO, but I kinda want to build up a .300BO, but the price of ammo and the need to get an other can to use it for it's intended purpose is putting it on the back burner.
Maybe one day. .224 Valkyrie looks pretty intersting

Top Bottom