What's new

Best Shave I've Had

@Johnnynroy
I use just generic Witch Hazel and I put it in a spritzer bottle.
More efficient and less wasteful that pouring and splashing like AS.
This little bottle for example.
proxy.php
Interesting! I've read some people use a spritzer for their witch hazel. Might have to give it a try!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Good to hear that things are moving in the right direction. If your lather was very different with the new cream, I would suggest that it was a function of technique rather than quality of the old one. Good lather is heavy, wet and slick and provides glide and protection (but you knew that anyway).

I agree that the concept of using no pressure is not a simple as it might seem. Practice is what it takes to get it right. Shaving the neck area might be the most difficult to master due to the asymmetrical growth patterns and sensitive skin. This thread is a gold mine of information regarding neck shaving challenges.

What Phil says!

It's magical what you can achieve using... no pressure on your neck (plus right angle). It took me months to me too....

Just loosen your skin a biet and let the blade glide across your neck. in a while you'll get it!

New guy here.
Welcome to the madhouse Johnny. :001_smile

With your type of beard hair, shaving is a LOT easier with a rigid blade. The Maggard OC V2 head holds the blade rigid, whereas the DE89 doesn't (this isn't a problem for shavers with "average" or softer hair). The non-rigid blade (in your DE89) will catch and pull at your hair (as you noticed) when the blade angle and pressure aren't precisely right. And with your whisker type you DO need to use just a little pressure. "No pressure" at all is a joke IMO, especially with coarse beards where the blade will just bounce off the hairs... mind you, your heavy MR7 handle will help you out there (but won't help your skill so much).

Hopefully @rabidus may be along with some pics and advice regarding blade rigidity.

Congratulations on your best shave to date. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Welcome to the madhouse Johnny. :001_smile

With your type of beard hair, shaving is a LOT easier with a rigid blade. The Maggard OC V2 head holds the blade rigid, whereas the DE89 doesn't (this isn't a problem for shavers with "average" or softer hair). The non-rigid blade (in your DE89) will catch and pull at your hair (as you noticed) when the blade angle and pressure aren't precisely right. And with your whisker type you DO need to use just a little pressure. "No pressure" at all is a joke IMO, especially with coarse beards where the blade will just bounce off the hairs... mind you, your heavy MR7 handle will help you out there (but won't help your skill so much).

Hopefully @rabidus may be along with some pics and advice regarding blade rigidity.

Congratulations on your best shave to date. :thumbup1:

Thanks for the post! Explains a lot for me regarding my shaves. Definitely almost no tugging with the V2, whereas I constantly get tugging with the DE89 or cartridges. The DE89 was interesting with pressure. If I used just enough to keep it against my face, it skipped lots of hair, even with rinsing and switching sides after every 1-2 inch swipe. I only was able to go XTG on a third pass since the first two passes were WTG trying to get enough hair reduced to go XTG. But that third pass seemed to cause irritation every time.

The setup did well again today. Did manage to nick myself twice due to poor technique (forgot how my grain is around my mouth and went direcly ATG during my second pass instead of XTG). The alum block however told me I did far better today than yesterday except in those two nicked spots. My neck hair WTG starts just under my chin/jaw and proceeds somewhat diagonally downwards towards the ears like this: ////, except at the level of the Adam's apple. Have a one inch band that angles towards the ears but upwards like this: \\\\\. Where they meet is where I get my irritation usually, so now that I have my setup I'll be trying different techniques to manage the area. So far, just trying to switch and go WTG as much as possible. Difficult to see the transition though with all the lather there.

I agree that the concept of using no pressure is not a simple as it might seem. Practice is what it takes to get it right. Shaving the neck area might be the most difficult to master due to the asymmetrical growth patterns and sensitive skin. This thread is a gold mine of information regarding neck shaving challenges.

Thanks for the link, I'll be combing through it for some better techniques to try out.

Good to hear that things are moving in the right direction. If your lather was very different with the new cream, I would suggest that it was a function of technique rather than quality of the old one. Good lather is heavy, wet and slick and provides glide and protection (but you knew that anyway).

I am certain that the cream issue was my technique and not TOBS. Too many people love it, and I'm new to lathering with cream. Used a soap for awhile (Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna) long time ago, but never really understood how to lather and never bothered to research it. I think TOBS is very water intensive and I wasn't giving it enough to allow a good lather.

... So far, just trying to switch and go WTG as much as possible. Difficult to see the transition though with all the lather there.
I'm a big Proraso Red fan. I don't have problems making lather with any soap or cream, but like you, I did when I started.

My aim with any lather is that it's slick, yogurty, and thin. No Santa Claus stuff to clog up my razor or (in particular) to stop me seeing exactly what I'm doing.

Last edited:
New guy here.

I have to shave daily for my job, and since I've been daily shaving for over a decade, the beard grows fast. Hair is also very wiry, dry and curly. Started DE shaving in earnest last Sunday, with 3 days of growth. Got a EJ DE89, TOBS Jermyn St Sensitive, Omega 11137 brush and a blade sampler pack, all from Maggard. I mapped out my face my first day, but then proceeded to do the standard three pass shave ignoring my grain. Oh and used an Astra Stainless (bad idea). Right back to cartridge levels of razor burn/ingrowns/PFB. A couple nicks, no cuts. Since then have only been varying the blades daily, without much improvement. Been focusing on technique, using only enough pressure for contact with the skin. Unfortunately, my hair is so rough and wiry that most blades were just pulling on it, not cutting it. Did try bowl lathering instead of face lathering. And started trying to shave with my grain instead of just going down, then across one way, and finishing the other way. Also cut it to WTG, XTG. Tried Kyle's prep, no decrease in razor burn. Showered then shaved, no difference. Post shave mostly the same, usually Alum+Thayer's Witch Hazel+Nivea Sensitive skin. Reapply Thayer's at night most nights.

I also have been reading on here to stick with the same setup for a month. My patience wasn't holding up as it seemed like my razor burn was only getting worse, not better. I decided to get a few more things. Got some proraso red cream, and pre-shave cream. Got an actual lather bowl (my wife gave me odd looks when I brought the cereal bowl down to run through the dishwasher)... and ordered some Maggard razors (V3a, V2 and Slant heads and M7 handle). Cut myself on my upper lip 2 days ago with a Gillete 7 O'Clock Yellow SharpEdge. Frustrated, but decided to try out the Astra SP (worked decently well) and had to take yesterday off. This morning I did the one thing newbies aren't to do: I changed multiple things. In fact, only things that were the same from two days ago were my brush and blade. I even changed how I shaved. And it was the best shave I've had.

Used proraso pre-shave cream after my shower. Proraso red shave cream (lathers well and stays wet on my face unlike TOBS), the Maggard V2 head on M7 handle, Astra SP blade (loving this so far), and normal post shave. Alum told me I went too close in spots, but I also varied the shave and tried going XTG, ATG. Minimal razor burn. Just went back and rechecked: least amount of bumps I've had on my neck in a decade. I'm hooked.
Welcome aboard and congrats

Just wanted to give an update. So I have been continuing to shave, but actually had to switch away from the V2. I seem to be getting bumps in weird places where I've never had them before. First noticed them about 4 days into shaving with the V2, but they actually have persisted til now (so 3 weeks or so). Switched over to the random Baili TTO rose gold razor I got with my Maggard order to get free shipping with the Astra SPs. It seems to hold the blade rigid and I'm not getting the same irritation I was with the DE89. I try to only do 2 passes, as 3 seems to get my neck on fire and I get terrible neck bumps, even if I go WTG, XTG, XTG. If I go XTG, ATG I only have the bumps on the left side of my neck (only shave with my right hand) where my grain switches over. Reduced the products I'm using post shave to just the Thayer's Witch Hazel or Lucky Tiger. If I get a nick I do use the alum though, but this is very rare. I tried shaving after I shower, but have found slightly less irritation by shaving before I shower with cold water. I rub the water in, then Proraso white pre-shave cream, get the lather on and shave. The difference between post shower and pre-shower is minimal but slightly in favor of pre-shower. Kyle's prep didn't seem to work when I tried it (read: horrendous razor bumps on the neck, but earlier on so my technique probably sucked a ton).

The bumps around my mouth are a little troubling to me as they look nothing like my normal razor bumps. They're located under my lower lip near the corners of the mouth on each side. I'm used to the bump being red and having redness around it, occasionally turning into a full on whitehead but still containing a hair. These around my mouth have no redness and just look like an accentuation of the hair shaft itself. They're a lot less noticeable than my neck ones, and become much more prominent when I smile or otherwise stretch the corners of my mouth out and up. They're also significantly more numerous than the ones on my neck. I only go WTG in that area and do 2 WTG passes. I'll try to take before and after pictures tomorrow and post them. I have given my face a day off here and there but my work requires a clean shave pretty much daily, and I've been working 6 days a week or so frequently as of late. Irritation after days off seems about the same on my neck as if I hadn't taken the day off, and the Baili really struggles to give even a SAS with two passes with that much growth.

For my neck irritation/bumps, I'm going to try to learn to shave with my left hand. The problem area is where I'm still struggling with technique some as my trachea and adam's apple are very prominent there, creating a divot where they meet my carotid. And that's where I get the normal bumps.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what the bumps around my mouth could be? Razor burn? Suggestions on what to do for them? Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words. This forum has a ton of great people willing to share their knowledge. So glad I found it!

Forgot one other thing I've had to shave with 2 or 3 times: my Panasonic electric razor. It's the five blade/head whatever contraption, but allows you to use it wet. So I get a lather on my face and use it when I'm super short on time or have to leave for work by 0500 and don't get out of bed until 0430 :lol:. Works surprisingly well this way, at least better than it does dry.

Sorry you're having such a rough time. I don't have any advice, just hope you run across something that works for you.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I see you've tried the Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow blades. I found them extremely sharp and verging into Feather territory, but also very unforgiving. The Astra SP is a good blade and a solid choice. I know very little about the Baili TTO and can only assume its a rigid design. The only thing in that regard I could suggest would be another razor and for the cost, you may be interested. Or a Gillette Tech but as I understand it, the DE1 is a very close copy of one.

RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

To the bumps around your mouth. Not sure what may cause them although I've had similar results from using an electric, especially with duller blades. They tend to pull then cut leading to ingrown hairs.

I'm a big Proraso Red fan. I don't have problems making lather with any soap or cream, but like you, I did when I started.

My aim with any lather is that it's slick, yogurty, and thin. No Santa Claus stuff to clog up my razor or (in particular) to stop me seeing exactly what I'm doing.

If your lather is too thick, it can cause the razor to skip and almost stick to your skin and not travel as smoothly over it as a more slick lather can.

It really sounds to me as though you're having rigidity issues. I have too and they can be overcome.

One other thing I wanted to mention if it hasnt been already, make sure your skin is stretched and on the tight side before stroking with the razor.

Interesting! I've read some people use a spritzer for their witch hazel. Might have to give it a try!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
I do the same - actually use if for every aftershave product, not just witch hazel. Conserves product. Helps keep the shave den nice and crowded.

Top Bottom