What's new

Best Shave I've Had

New guy here.

I have to shave daily for my job, and since I've been daily shaving for over a decade, the beard grows fast. Hair is also very wiry, dry and curly. Started DE shaving in earnest last Sunday, with 3 days of growth. Got a EJ DE89, TOBS Jermyn St Sensitive, Omega 11137 brush and a blade sampler pack, all from Maggard. I mapped out my face my first day, but then proceeded to do the standard three pass shave ignoring my grain. Oh and used an Astra Stainless (bad idea). Right back to cartridge levels of razor burn/ingrowns/PFB. A couple nicks, no cuts. Since then have only been varying the blades daily, without much improvement. Been focusing on technique, using only enough pressure for contact with the skin. Unfortunately, my hair is so rough and wiry that most blades were just pulling on it, not cutting it. Did try bowl lathering instead of face lathering. And started trying to shave with my grain instead of just going down, then across one way, and finishing the other way. Also cut it to WTG, XTG. Tried Kyle's prep, no decrease in razor burn. Showered then shaved, no difference. Post shave mostly the same, usually Alum+Thayer's Witch Hazel+Nivea Sensitive skin. Reapply Thayer's at night most nights.

I also have been reading on here to stick with the same setup for a month. My patience wasn't holding up as it seemed like my razor burn was only getting worse, not better. I decided to get a few more things. Got some proraso red cream, and pre-shave cream. Got an actual lather bowl (my wife gave me odd looks when I brought the cereal bowl down to run through the dishwasher)... and ordered some Maggard razors (V3a, V2 and Slant heads and M7 handle). Cut myself on my upper lip 2 days ago with a Gillete 7 O'Clock Yellow SharpEdge. Frustrated, but decided to try out the Astra SP (worked decently well) and had to take yesterday off. This morning I did the one thing newbies aren't to do: I changed multiple things. In fact, only things that were the same from two days ago were my brush and blade. I even changed how I shaved. And it was the best shave I've had.

Used proraso pre-shave cream after my shower. Proraso red shave cream (lathers well and stays wet on my face unlike TOBS), the Maggard V2 head on M7 handle, Astra SP blade (loving this so far), and normal post shave. Alum told me I went too close in spots, but I also varied the shave and tried going XTG, ATG. Minimal razor burn. Just went back and rechecked: least amount of bumps I've had on my neck in a decade. I'm hooked.

Congratulations on your first trip to shaving nirvana! Now that you have a preferred setup, stick with that for a month (though I would recommend 2-3 to really perfect your technique).

Don't be discouraged if the old problems resurface within the next few shaves, it happens to everyone. Just keep chugging and soon you'll experience nirvana every time.

After mastering your current favorite setup, give the TOBS another whack. Sounds like it might be thirstier than the Proraso red.

Happy shaving!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your shave and your diligence! Proraso Red is is one of my favorites, because it is so dependable. I just tried Astra SPs for the first time (2 shaves in different razors) and they perfor very well for me.

@Johnnynroy Are you still using the witch hazel? Thinking of trying that. I don't use alum or witchhazel and I think they are both supposed to help with razor burn, but the sting I imagine coming from either has stopped me from trying them.

Congratulations on your first trip to shaving nirvana! Now that you have a preferred setup, stick with that for a month (though I would recommend 2-3 to really perfect your technique).

Don't be discouraged if the old problems resurface within the next few shaves, it happens to everyone. Just keep chugging and soon you'll experience nirvana every time.

After mastering your current favorite setup, give the TOBS another whack. Sounds like it might be thirstier than the Proraso red.

Happy shaving!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice! Definitely will be trying to keep this setup for a month. Have quite a bit of traveling to do (all by car thank goodness), so I'll be able to see how it performs with other water types too.

I think you are completely correct with the TOBS. Likely not enough water, just couldn't get the ratios correct with it. May need to not shake my brush out at all after soaking. Have to revisit after this month.

Congratulations on your shave and your diligence! Proraso Red is is one of my favorites, because it is so dependable. I just tried Astra SPs for the first time (2 shaves in different razors) and they perfor very well for me.
I was very surprised considering how poorly the Astra Stainless did for me. Technique was the culprit with the Stainless, I'm sure. Really liking the Astra SPs so far though.

@Johnnynroy Are you still using the witch hazel? Thinking of trying that. I don't use alum or witchhazel and I think they are both supposed to help with razor burn, but the sting I imagine coming from either has stopped me from trying them.
I've been using witch hazel for about 2 years now and my face misses it when I don't. So I think it definitely helps. It also doesn't sting too much. If it's a rough shave I'll maybe get a momentary warning that last just a few seconds. I actually found it helpful in targeting areas of my face I needed to focus on for the next shave. I know I've had a good shave when the witch hazel just feels like cool water on my face. I'm using Dickinsons which I think is 14% alcohol, not too strong at all. Can't speak on alum as I've never used it.

Good luck!

I got the Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera. It reportedly has no alcohol. It has never burned for me. I honestly don't know if it is all that helpful, but I like that it is a toner with moisturizing properties. This allows me to use it at night too. I can't use the cotton ball method that is on their directions as that would just leave cotton all over my face. Not totally sure how necessary the thayer's is since I'm using the Nivea balm too.

As for the alum block: it burns when you go over spots that you went too close. Today was the least stingy day I've had. If it stings a lot, I brush my teeth and let it dry totally. Then wash it off with cold water and apply the witch hazel, followed by my Nivea balm.

Stinging only happens to damaged skin. I prefer alcohol based aftershave because it punishes you for bad technique. The thought of pain from poor technique motivated me to improve as fast as possible. Don't fear the burn, transcend it. That's my motto!

For me pain was a great measurement of success. It was kind of an "accelerated course" in technique, a "trial by fire" of sorts. I recommend anyone interested in using this technique to achieve a reasonable amount of comfort in your shave first.

Congrats! It only gets better!

And remember...good prep, patience, good lather, right angle, no pressure, practice, practice, practice. Did I mention NO pressure?

Congrats! It only gets better!

And remember...good prep, patience, good lather, right angle, no pressure, practice, practice, practice. Did I mention NO pressure?

No pressure seems to be the hardest thing to accomplish, especially on the neck (my troubled area). 1st post shave alum block I thought I stuck my face in a campfire... Something I will continue to work towards!

Congrats on making good progress! :thumbup1:

Remember it's a learning process. Some folks get it down in a couple of weeks, others (like myself) take a few months to get their technique down. And even after nearly three years I'm still learning (which is part of the enjoyment ;)). Practice and patience are key.

Hello and welcome, Johnny. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Keep it up!

No pressure seems to be the hardest thing to accomplish, especially on the neck (my troubled area). 1st post shave alum block I thought I stuck my face in a campfire... Something I will continue to work towards!

I agree that the concept of using no pressure is not a simple as it might seem. Practice is what it takes to get it right. Shaving the neck area might be the most difficult to master due to the asymmetrical growth patterns and sensitive skin. This thread is a gold mine of information regarding neck shaving challenges.

@Johnnynroy
I use just generic Witch Hazel and I put it in a spritzer bottle.
More efficient and less wasteful that pouring and splashing like AS.
This little bottle for example.
proxy.php

Top Bottom