What's new

Best performance/value cream?

My preference would be for either Nivea Sensitive Cream or the regular Blue tube Nivea Cream.

That regular blue Nivea cream in a tube has always been way at the top of the heap for me. Especially if you get it in Europe. I can get it online at a couple of US store, but it's 2x the price. Still cheap but not as cheap as buying it in Europe.

proxy.php

The cheapest shaving cream I have ever had (around US$ 1,50). The scent is great, kind of barbershop. The performance is very good and better than many expensive artisan soaps I have tried. It amazes me, as I was not prepared for this at all. My expectations were about as low as its price.
The downside is the ingredients list. It's like reading a chemistry book.

However, to be honest, it is the best price-performance ratio I have experienced.
Would I buy it again? Probably not. The ingredients list is scary and I really love my artisan soaps.

proxy.php

The cheapest shaving cream I have ever had (around US$ 1,50). The scent is great, kind of barbershop. The performance is very good and better than many expensive artisan soaps I have tried. It amazes me, as I was not prepared for this at all. My expectations were about as low as its price.
The downside is the ingredients list. It's like reading a chemistry book.

However, to be honest, it is the best price-performance ratio I have experienced.
Would I buy it again? Probably not. The ingredients list is scary and I really love my artisan soaps.

I'll have to write that one down on my "to try" list.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Florena is an excellent cream I picked up this year in Germany, I think it was $2 or so, it is my travel cream right now. Nivea and Plamolive are also great cheap creams, and so is Speick - picked up a few when I was home.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Well, if you don’t want to buy into Castle Forbes (and if you don’t, that’s a mistake), 1000 ml of 3P from Connaught at ~$18 is compelling. Two years of soap for $18 and it is a good soap, that unlike Cella, does not go rancid.

It all depends on where you live.

In my neck of the woods:
Nivea, La Toja, Lavanda.

Honorable mention (meaning good, but not in my rotation):
Palmolive, Proraso, Speik

Haslinger - as good as it may be - does not qualify, at least not until it becomes available as a cream.

Florena to me is a low-cost alternative to Nivea (both companies are owned by the Beiersdorf Group) and works well enough, but for the few pennies price difference I rather not put up with the Florena wet cardboard scent and stick to Nivea.

B.

For inexpensive cream I have Palmolive and Derby Lavender and both are pretty nice soaps considering what you pay them. Not a fan of TOBS, Speick, and GFT creams. D.R. Harris is pretty good but not all that cheap. Proraso red is a nice soap and not too badly priced. Would like to try the Proraso Pro, Wood and Spice, but the size is just too much plus I really don't need anymore creams/soaps. I have heard C.O. Bigelow is a nice soap and can be had for a decent price on sale. So there are a number of them out there. Also have been meaning to try LEA and La Toja but that won't happen for a while.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I wonder how Cyril Salter would compare. It's the cheapest of the British creams and ungodly dense; a little goes a long way.
I find Cyril R. Salter to be absolutely the best value for the money. I've burned through tubes of Arko, Godrej, and various other creams. CRS lasts forever, slick, and has excellent post shave feel.

In tube form, Proraso green and Palmolive are my staples, usually for travel. I've also enjoyed Trumper creams in a tube (coconut in particular). Also consider Nancy Boy (but it's a tub).

I've got a good variety of shave soaps & creams and they all perform just fine. My latest Acquisition of Lucky Tiger works better than I expected - it's impressive. But then, so is Lea Cream, ToBS St. James, Palmolive, and others.
But my all time favorite hands-down winner is a 50/50 blend of Cremo+Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Shave Cream. On their own, each is nothing special, but combined they formulate the best cream I'll ever expect to use. And recently I added a little glycerine to the blend & it's even more spectacular. Smooth, slick, irritation free shaves from a fine dense lather. It's simply awesome!

... and cheap!

LEA has another line, LEA Classic. Can be had in a tube or a large tin. Nice wood & moss type scent. Speick cream is quite good, too. I think Cyril Salter was mentioned.

lea-1.jpg

Top Bottom