What's new

Best Inexpensive Cream - IYHO

Of all these creams I'd try the above. I am also interested in LEA, Noxema, Derby, Omega, and Arko. Is anyone here able to speak to their quality?
Arko Stick and puck are tallow based with citronella scent - hit or miss on the scent but the lather is impeccable.
Arko creams don’t contain tallow lather easy and have rather subdued and inoffensive scents.
Omega should be a rebranded green Proraso with maybe a subtle change in the formula. They have a partnership running. One being the Brush the other the Soap producer.

...Omega should be a rebranded green Proraso with maybe a subtle change in the formula. They have a partnership running. One being the Brush the other the Soap producer.
The older formula was made by the Martelli company like Proraso. That's changed, though. Nowadays the Omega soap is actually made by TFS, I believe and it's not the same. Still has it's fans, but the newer formula does not have the strong Eucalyptus and lanolin hit of the older stuff.

There have been many suggestions in this thread however the OP is an SR shaver and few have been addressing the need for a good straight razor shaving cream.

Not all shaving creams are good for SR shaving.

What qualities are important for SR shaving? Thicker lather? More slickness?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I guess I should rephrase my question: are any of these creams at all likely to hold a candle to Speick? Eyeing palmolive and la toja in particular.

I really like Speick. Is it time to just stop?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I guess I should rephrase my question: are any of these creams at all likely to hold a candle to Speick? Eyeing palmolive and la toja in particular.

I really like Speick. Is it time to just stop?

It's really impossible to say. For slickness SJoL (not a 'budget' cream) is incredible, as is AoS. If I was in the mood to try another cream that was relatively wallet friendly it would probably be Mogno and/or La Toja.

IMO, La Toja > Lavanda (I know....didn't ask) > Speick > Palmolive. I've tried all four. I do rank Lavanda equal to La Toja due to the lanolin, but I think LT shaves a tiny bit better. To my (not very discerning) nose, Lavanda and Speick have a very similar scent.

That said, all are solid options that you won't regret.

La Toja has a heavier feel to it than Speick and my recollection is that Lavanda is even heavier than La Toja because of the amount of lanolin. I like all 3, but you may have a preference depending on what you like in your lather.

Out of curiosity, are you all able to buy all these varieties at a local store, or do you have to buy online?

No stores that I am aware of have a wide variety of soaps and creams. The grocery store carries Williams and Van der Hagen soaps, a variety of canned foams and gel, and 2 or 3 tubes of cream, none of which are named here. I think one is Dove and the other Nivea, if I recall correctly. I don't know if those are brushless or not. I prefer a good brush cream.

Out of curiosity, are you all able to buy all these varieties at a local store, or do you have to buy online?

No stores that I am aware of have a wide variety of soaps and creams. The grocery store carries Williams and Van der Hagen soaps, a variety of canned foams and gel, and 2 or 3 tubes of cream, none of which are named here. I think one is Dove and the other Nivea, if I recall correctly. I don't know if those are brushless or not. I prefer a good brush cream.
That depends on where you live. For instance, New York City has Pasteur's Pharmacy (two locations). Chicago has Smallflower Apothecary. Southeast Michigan has Maggard Razors. All of these places do a lot of mail order business because local stores don't have enough turnover to stock much variety in shaving stuff.

I'm in the U.S. Kiss My Face was OK, but I didn't like the pump bottle that it comes in. When it got low, it wouldn't pump any more out, and there was still plenty there. I cut the plastic bottle open to scoop it out.

Me too. Don't want to waste any!

I think one is Dove and the other Nivea, if I recall correctly. I don't know if those are brushless or not. I prefer a good brush cream.

If you can get Nivea shave cream locally, get it. My store quit stocking it. I have two in reserve. I didn't recommend it earlier because I didn't think it was still available.

I have no idea how it performs for SR shavers.

Nivea shaving cream is not sold in every country. Nivea sensitive shaving cream isn't sold in Germany, shaving cream is essentially a soap with water and glycerin in them.

Many, like myself, love the smell of Poraso red.

I believe you mentioned previously that you've been gone for a while. Then you missed the relatively new Cella Bio. It's a little stiff in the tube, but it performs very well and has a good after feel.

Top Bottom