What's new

Best Fast Cutting Rehab Stone | Faster Than Chosera 1K

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Never produced the elusive burr, but got them all shave worthy, brother Jim. Can't imagine taking one of mine to a 320 grit, but not to be disrespectful at all.

Not sure you noticed, but I got my problem child up to speed.

Noticed your recent adventures with the Sally-Wedge.

I'm surprised at how useful the 320 actually is.

Once I have a good bevel there's never any need to return to the coarse stones. Well, unless I hit the sink with the edge. Not that I've done that much, but I did it with a really nice edge, an edge made nice that very morning, an edge that required a bevel reset after that shave.

It's not an expensive stone. I should have acquired it long ago.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Noticed your recent adventures with the Sally-Wedge.

I'm surprised at how useful the 320 actually is.

Once I have a good bevel there's never any need to return to the coarse stones. Well, unless I hit the sink with the edge. Not that I've done that much, but I did it with a really nice edge, an edge made nice that very morning, an edge that required a bevel reset after that shave.

It's not an expensive stone. I should have acquired it long ago.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I can’t imagine you would ever hit the sink with an edge of your fabrication. I tend to grow closer to an edge I made .

Late to this party but I have Chosera in a variety of grits, including 400, I don’t understand an earlier comment about it being gummy. Never experienced that myself.

I sharpen knives, not razors, so maybe I’m missing something.

Late to this party but I have Chosera in a variety of grits, including 400, I don’t understand an earlier comment about it being gummy. Never experienced that myself.

Missed films.....:a29:

Hello. Yes that was me. The stone I had was the chosera 400 old style 1 inch thick. It needed to be constantly refreshed to keep it cutting with a diamond plate. I used it for a short while and ended up giving it away. I don't know if mine was unique as I never used any others. I do have the other choseras from 600 thru 10k (the 10 crazed on me) with no issues as far as the gummyness goes. The 5k crazed on me also but it is still useable. The 600 as far as I was concerned cut faster than the 400.

Hello. Yes that was me. The stone I had was the chosera 400 old style 1 inch thick. It needed to be constantly refreshed to keep it cutting with a diamond plate. I used it for a short while and ended up giving it away. I don't know if mine was unique as I never used any others. I do have the other choseras from 600 thru 10k (the 10 crazed on me) with no issues as far as the gummyness goes. The 5k crazed on me also but it is still useable. The 600 as far as I was concerned cut faster than the 400.
Glad you found something that works for you. I have a 600 as well and like it a lot.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Never produced the elusive burr, but got them all shave worthy, brother Jim. Can't imagine taking one of mine to a 320 grit, but not to be disrespectful at all.

Not sure you noticed, but I got my problem child up to speed.

Low grit hones aren't going to devour your razors. I've used as low as 140 grit diamond plates. One correction is all you need and then your set.

Yep, I got into straight razor honing about 10 years ago, coming off high end Japanese knife honing. No comparison WRT honing BTW.

I kept wondering why razor honers had such coarse stones. The coarsest stone I used on knives without significant chips was 1k, and that was for an edge that was badly worn with usage ‘chips’. For maintenance, I rarely began under 5k.

The reason is that you can’t push very hard on a straight razor, so if you have to whip a fistful of factory Dollars into shape or remove a chip and don’t want to spend the rest of your life, you need coarse stones. With a knife, you always have the option of pushing harder to cut faster, a technique that’s severely limited with most straight razors, and simply not an option at all with hollow grinds.

I don’t know if films can produce a burr, I suppose they can, but if the substrate yields a little that would help, but IDK. With balsa and paste, I think the balsa probably gives enough to remove a fin. Iwasaki used wool serge, a finely woven hard wool tacked to a piece of wood with CrOx on it to remove a finishing (honyama) burr. it didn’t take a lot as most pastes cut pretty aggressively.

Low grit stones are useful for heavy work obviously. There's no need to break one out for the razor you shaved with last night! Lol. eBay specials and some of those wedges that have been free-handed. If you hone enough and if you hone for the masses it a good tool to have around.

Glad you found something that works for you. I have a 600 as well and like it a lot.
Thanks. I actually had the 600 before I tried the 400. My first coarse stone was the 220/1000 Norton combo. It cut pretty fast but dished like crazy.

Top Bottom