What's new

Best Fast Cutting Rehab Stone | Faster Than Chosera 1K

It's unfortunate that barbers only use shavettes nowadays. In the old days, you could learn from them.
Agreed lots of members mentioned Lin ago they learned from old school barbers.

As an aside I have seen some barbers use a real razor. The blade and scales were made so they were safe to dunk in barbacide and not melt.

Agreed lots of members mentioned Lin ago they learned from old school barbers.

As an aside I have seen some barbers use a real razor. The blade and scales were made so they were safe to dunk in barbacide and not melt.

Interesting. Which state or country was the barber that used a real razor? A lot of jurisdictions have now upgraded their rules beyond Barbicide, to insisting on autoclaving. CJ Hjemstrum made some straights with steel scales, to withstand autoclaving in the hospitals.

Unnecessary regulation, in my view.

I looked into the regulations about all that, this summer, when I thought about giving shaves when out camping with friends. I just use barbicide.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've ordered a faster stone for rehab work.
proxy.php

I have a couple of other stones in this series. I read a post by Keith @Gamma talking about this stone. Also the price was about half of what I was considering for the Chosera.

My Shapton 320 went into service today.

Why didn't I get one of these stones a long time ago?

What a useful stone! The reason I didn't get one a long time ago was mostly because I just recently fully grasped the necessity for having a stone of this sort to deal with chips and such. I've known for a long time it would be handy to have a very coarse stone, but I've now made a quantum leap in my understanding of the difference between honing an edge and rehabilitating a razor.

This stone is a necessity!

Kinfolks#2.8-3-19.640.JPG

Today the Shapton 320 was followed by the Washita. I could have gone from this Shapton to the Chosera 1K but decided otherwise. We'll see how the shave (off the convex Ark) goes when I decide to use this razor, my Kinfolks #2.

I'm going to hone Kinfolks #1 today too unless I get lazy.

Did I mention how much I like this Shapton 320. It's significantly useful and was not terribly expensive. I paid $36 on Amazon. A bargain.

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I see so many guys, myself included, saying "oh, I'm a shaver, not a honer. I just want a simple system to enjoy nice shaves. I'm not like you weird guys with your naguras and jnat strangeness.

Uh huh.

Funny, how these guys are always hanging around the honing forum.
I’m an “avoider”. I only buy from one dealer I trust completely. He sells only shave ready blades (I have to re-hone because he uses tape) and I have restored razors to start with and no chips to deal with. I hate honing but admire those who love it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Why (not continue to hone on tape)?

Honing on tape is immoral.jpg

The tape puts a bit more obtuse angle on the edge so further honing without tape will not touch the apex. The bevel must be reset.

Glad that's settled...

I’m an “avoider”. I only buy from one dealer I trust completely. He sells only shave ready blades (I have to re-hone because he uses tape) and I have restored razors to start with and no chips to deal with. I hate honing but admire those who love it.

I can see why it might be considered silly to buy a razor knowing you're going to have to rehone it, but I've been thinking the same thing might be a good idea for me. At least buying from the few vendors who sell more or less shave ready razors means you're at least getting a straight edge and a good bevel and a razor with decent fundamentals instead of perhaps a major restoration project.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
The tape puts a bit more obtuse angle on the edge so further honing without tape will not touch the apex. The bevel must be reset.
I understand how the bevel is different, I just asked because it seemed like a bit of work just to keep from using tape when you finally do touch ups in the future (especially if you don't like honing).

@Chan Eil Whiskers
I get it. Some here don't believe in using tape. Some do. I was asking him because he mentioned rehoning shave ready razors.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I understand how the bevel is different, I just asked because it seemed like a bit of work just to keep from using tape when you finally do touch ups in the future (especially if you don't like honing).

@Chan Eil Whiskers
I get it. Some here don't believe in using tape. Some do. I was asking him because he mentioned rehoning shave ready razors.
The reason I re-hone is that I finish with pasted balsa and touch up after each shave. It would take more time to re-tape than the stropping.

The reason I re-hone is that I finish with pasted balsa and touch up after each shave. It would take more time to re-tape than the stropping.
Oh, your stropping on a harder surface. What paste?
I haven't really used pasted/sprays. Lately I've been thinking about trying them since I've been doing more honing though.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Stropping on diamond pasted balsa. It gives such a sharp comfortable edge once learned. You will hit it very well right off but as you keep at it your edges improve even more. Kind of a subliminal learning I guess. And it is so inexpensive, if you don’t like it, not much lost. I would suggest,should you choose to try it, to start with your softest steel like a Sheffield then work up. I have found Eskiltuna to be a bit frustrating but when enough is put into it, it develops a marvelous edge. The final, .1u, is what smooths out the edge. With daily touch up, every day is the same. It is a very easy process with a very small learning curve and as you shave, you will pick up on the subtitles. All you have to do is get a 12k edge by your favorite routine, then hit the pasted balsa with a gentle touch. Viola.

Stropping on diamond pasted balsa. It gives such a sharp comfortable edge once learned. You will hit it very well right off but as you keep at it your edges improve even more. Kind of a subliminal learning I guess. And it is so inexpensive, if you don’t like it, not much lost. I would suggest,should you choose to try it, to start with your softest steel like a Sheffield then work up. I have found Eskiltuna to be a bit frustrating but when enough is put into it, it develops a marvelous edge. The final, .1u, is what smooths out the edge. With daily touch up, every day is the same. It is a very easy process with a very small learning curve and as you shave, you will pick up on the subtitles. All you have to do is get a 12k edge by your favorite routine, then hit the pasted balsa with a gentle touch. Viola.

So, Viola shows up? Did you mean voila? :a11::a30:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m with @steveclarkus I rarely use tape on my daily drivers, except for the framebacks. Just don’t want to fool with it for the usual guys.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've used the Shapton 320 a few times now. It's a nice stone. I'm very happy to have it. It is nowhere near as fast as I expected it to be. Probably that's a good thing.

8-7-19.Kinfolks#1.Face.BevelSet.480.JPG

Today I spent a very long time trying to get a bevel on one of my Kinfolks razors, the one I call Kinfolks #1. It had occurred to me that the razor's sharpness issues just about had to be bevel related, but I had no idea how much work would be required.

I was using the burr method and thought I'd never see any hints of a burr. Considering abandoning the razor I was. Enough is enough! Anyway, I persisted and was finally pleasantly surprised to find an emerging burr.

7-8-19.Kit.Kinfolks#1.480.JPG

Had my kit not included the 320 there's no way I would have avoided giving up on this blade. Now I have another shave ready razor; the edge will be sharper and more comfortable down the road after more honing but it's worthy of use now and gave me a good shave.

I had no idea how bad the bevel was! Oh, my...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Never produced the elusive burr, but got them all shave worthy, brother Jim. Can't imagine taking one of mine to a 320 grit, but not to be disrespectful at all.

Not sure you noticed, but I got my problem child up to speed.

Low grit hones aren't going to devour your razors. I've used as low as 140 grit diamond plates. One correction is all you need and then your set.

Tape? No. But many guys not all have a tendency to lean more on the spine. After a while they learn to torque the edge slightly towards the edge. Nothing wrong with low grit stones or medium when needed. The biggest mistakes guys make is buying expensive razors when they haven't learned to hone yet. Get some gds or zys use those as crash cars.

Top Bottom