What's new

Best Commercially Available BBQ Sauce?

I like to use Cattlemen's brand as a base. I'll add vinegar, coke, cloves, lemon juice, pickling spice, butter, and of course red pepper. I have to thin it down to a sauce that's watery - this stuff goes on hickory smoked mutton, chopped, served on rye bread dressed with a slice of white onion, and sliced dill pickle.

This get's me close to the barbecue sauce I remember as a kid from the pits of Henderson KY.

When's dinner and what should I bring? :wink2: That sounds great!

I rarely use a sauce I purchased in a store unless I'm pressed for time.

Mostly I make my own.

Like others here, sometimes I'll wing it, just start adding stuff to ketchup or mustard. Sometimes I'll use a store sauce as a base and play with it based on the flavor I'm after.

A good basic book on the subject is called, oddly enough, Sauces, rubs, marinades...

You really should try rolling your own at least once. At first I was afraid the stuff I'd make wouldn't be as good as the store sauces, but I was very wrong.

In the interest of full disclosure and honesty, tonight we had a hurry up dinner of pulled pork sandwiches, and the sauce that got used was...Sweet Baby Ray's, straight. It was really pretty good, but the wife added vinegar to hers.:smile:

Homemade is best. I don't measure but if I had to guess I'd say 16 oz of tomato sauce, 8 oz tomato paste, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/3 cup vinegar, 1 tbsp of crushed red pepper flakes, salt & pepper. Put it in a pot and heat it up. Tasty stuff.

mrs griffin's--it is a central ga company.when i was growing up i did not know there was any other kind.it is a tangy tomato-mustard combo.comes in regular or hot.that is my standard for pork and chicken.good on burgers too.

It's just easier to make my own. I try to always keep a batch of vinegar based sauce on hand. Just take a 1 or 2 quart bottle of cider vinegar and add red pepper flakes, brown sugar, hot sauce, salt and pepper. It just keeps getting better and better.

Sweet Baby Ray's.

Now that you made me think of bar-b-que.

Can you buy pork steaks where you live?

They don't seem to be available in areas of Michigan I've been to. The ppl in the meat department of several stores didn't know what I was talking about. What a shame.........
Sue

from sweet home chicago!!!

I guess my favorite is Cattlemans. So many BBQ joints use this, my father in law and his cousin both own a BBQ joint in TXand this is the sauce they use. I do like a few others Sticky Fingers is good as well as all of the Gates products. I really like the Carolina Mustard Sauce from Sticky Fingers. One to try is the white BBQ sauce from Big BoB Gibson's. Really good on pork and chicken.

When I cook for our Church socials I always leave the sauce on the side. I really like using dry rubs. McCormicks Cinnamon Chipotle is good. The BBQ Shack in Paola KS has a really good rub. Love BBQ and so does my wife. She actually loves it when I cook, I guess the smoke scent I get from hanging around the smoker turns her on. Is there anyway we can bottle that and sell it?:001_tt1:

Love BBQ and so does my wife. She actually loves it when I cook, I guess the smoke scent I get from hanging around the smoker turns her on. Is there anyway we can bottle that and sell it?:001_tt1:

They already do. Liquid Smoke can be added to things you cook on the range or in the oven. The taste and aroma are quite good although, of course, not as good as the real thing.

Tim

Just to piggyback on Jim's statement, I too would agree that it's just too many regional types to choose from. In South Carolina alone, you've got mustard-based sauces like Maurice's, tomato & brown sugar sauces (typical of the commercial bottled ones), old-style vinegar-pepper sauces (my personal favorite).

Once upon a very, very, long time ago I used to live just down the road from Maurice's!

This summer I was in Cost Plus and found their Carolina Style BBQ sauce. It's an excellent baste for grilled chicken, makes fantastic chicken wings, and when used on a whole pork ternderloin it's just out of this world melt in your mouth goodness!

Think I'll do a tenderloin for dinner tonight!

View attachment 64656

Sweet Baby Ray's.

Now that you made me think of bar-b-que.

Can you buy pork steaks where you live?

They don't seem to be available in areas of Michigan I've been to. The ppl in the meat department of several stores didn't know what I was talking about. What a shame.........
Sue

+1 Sweet Baby Ray's
If I'm not making it that's what I buy.

Ask for blade stakes if they still look confused and your dealing with an actual person behind the counter give them a pork shoulder roast and ask the very nicely too slice it please. They will do it. :thumbup1:

proxy.php

Smokey Jon's number one Barbeque!

Another vote for Woody's.

The great thing about a BBQ sauce is that they are pretty easy to make at home and variations are endless. The best sauce I ever had from made by a friend's father. A little bit of sweet, a little bit of sour, a hint of smokey heat. Man it was good. It was his secret recipe and he sadly took it to the grave with him.

It's such a Texas thing.

Top Bottom