What's new

Best Commercially Available BBQ Sauce?

http://www.ulikafoodblog.com/search/label/BBQ%20SAUCE%20OF%20THE%20WEEK

Some neat reviews.

I've been serious about sauce for a while now, and am planning a couple competitions.

Blues Hog is incredible on ribs. BH is an absolute crowd pleasure and delivers the "wow" factor. http://www.blueshog.com/website/main.html

I like Spicewine's Blue Collar and Sweat Heat a lot also. http://www.spicewineironworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=swiw&Category_Code=sauces

These sauces are the kind that grab you quick.

I make a pretty simple sauce for my smoked ribs. Mmmm.... ribs...

Anyway, it's thus:

Ketchup
Apple cider vinegar
Brown sugar
Chopped onion
Chopped tomato
Chopped garlic
Salt
Pepper
Fresh rosemary

In a pot over high flame, add the ketchup and the vinegar and mix together. When it starts to boil, a whiff should make your breath catch in your throat from the acetic acid.

Add brown sugar until it reaches the color/sweetness that you prefer, then add the rest of the ingredients to taste.

Let it simmer for a while, until it's thick and delicious. I usually have my wife check the seasonings, because by the time it's ready to serve, I have "tested" the pork to make sure that it's done, so I have a mouth full of rib rub and smoke.

Dinosaur BBQ from Syracuse NY is increasingly being sold throughout the Northeast and at least as far south as Virginia (or at any Wegmans). If you are looking for something a little more spicy, try their Habanero.

Sweet Baby Ray's.

Now that you made me think of bar-b-que.

Can you buy pork steaks where you live?

They don't seem to be available in areas of Michigan I've been to. The ppl in the meat department of several stores didn't know what I was talking about. What a shame.........
Sue

Sort of a thread drift, but I'll blame Sue :lol:

Since her mention of pork steak I kept both eyes peeled while going through my local meat dept. and there they were, 2 thin sliced pork steaks for under $5.

After marinating in Olive oil, juice of lemon, red wine vinegar, ginger!, touch of OJ, splash of soy sauce, salt, pepper...
I threw them on over some lump coal.
Spur of the moment w/ no real sides, I cut a t'mater topped w/ cheese that needed to be used up. Topped w/ some homemade ranch, they went fast.
Darn flash was on my camera, didn't realize till after the second pic.
proxy.php
[/IMG]

The T'maters didn't last long.
Glazed the pork w/ some BBq sauce/OJ/cider vinegar concoction.
For a cheap peice of meat it ended up quite tender and it didn't last
long on the plate.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I recently picked up this stuff from the grocery store made by some company in Calgary called "Cattle Boyz". It comes in this big huge bottle, and it's really good, has quite a bit of a bite to it and that's something I enjoy.

Dinosaur BBQ from Syracuse NY is increasingly being sold throughout the Northeast and at least as far south as Virginia (or at any Wegmans). If you are looking for something a little more spicy, try their Habanero.

+1 on the Dinosaur. I first tried it at the Dinosaur BBQ when I still lived in 'cuse. It has made its way to the yearly Rib Cook Off here in Reno.

Now that summer is here my mind has wandered to Ribs and BBQ. Please chime in on your favorite commercially available BBQ sauce.

My vote goes for Hecky's Hot BBQ sauce (although the Original is pretty good as well). Although you cannot buy Hecky's in your local grocery store, it is available by mail order. What is your favorite BBQ Sauce?

I used to live about 5mins away from Hecky's in Evanston, IL some years ago. They had great BBQ. Sauce was delicious...

I make my "own" modified bbq sauce

1 - bottle open pit
1/4 of a small jar of grape jelly (sometime more)
the juice of one lemon
then I experiment with various spices...

put everything into a sauce pan, bring to a light simmer. Let cool and bottle or use right away.

I love Sweet Baby Rays.

My wife recently picked up a new flavor of Sweet Baby Rays called Raspberry Chipotle and it is very interesting. They don't have this listed on their site yet, so I don't know how widespread available it is, but is worth trying for a unique flavor.

J.

S

Sam

What about BBQ rub? I have a guy that developed a smokey yet sweet rub that I love.

We have Rendezvous and COrkys originating in Memphis.

I swapped local stuff with phogallen (Todd from KC) and I got Gillardo Bros and I think Cowtown or something like that - good sauces.

I would love a mustard based sauce with some heat. Many ketchup and vinegar sauces and mops around Memphis, but sometimes, mustard is what you need. Leonards in Memphis has a mustard slaw which is tangy yet sweet (more to the tangy side) which sets off a sweet bbq sauce nicely IMO

What about BBQ rub? I have a guy that developed a smokey yet sweet rub that I love.

We have Rendezvous and COrkys originating in Memphis.

I swapped local stuff with phogallen (Todd from KC) and I got Gillardo Bros and I think Cowtown or something like that - good sauces.

I would love a mustard based sauce with some heat. Many ketchup and vinegar sauces and mops around Memphis, but sometimes, mustard is what you need. Leonards in Memphis has a mustard slaw which is tangy yet sweet (more to the tangy side) which sets off a sweet bbq sauce nicely IMO

Try the Stubbs Moppin' Sauce. It's a vinegar/mustard flour based sauce with just enough twang behind it to keep it interesting.

I like to use Cattlemen's brand as a base. I'll add vinegar, coke, cloves, lemon juice, pickling spice, butter, and of course red pepper. I have to thin it down to a sauce that's watery - this stuff goes on hickory smoked mutton, chopped, served on rye bread dressed with a slice of white onion, and sliced dill pickle.

This get's me close to the barbecue sauce I remember as a kid from the pits of Henderson KY.

Top Bottom