What's new

Best canned foam?

If you guys had to use a canned shaving foam for a few days, which one would you find acceptable for DE use?

Would it be Noxzema, Gillette Foamy, etc...?

If it's anything out of a can, Nivea gel. If it's specifically a foam, Gillette Foamy Barbershop Fresh.

I only use a canded foam when traveling. Prior to my return to wet shaving, when I used a cartridge, I would use Edge jell, or Foamy, or Bargasol. When I started shaving in the early '60''s, I used Rise exclusively. I think that was the best, but it is, unfortunately, long gone. Now, I think that Barbasol is best. I will apply it by making my hand very wet and also wetting the foam. It makes a nice wet lather, that works, for me, quite well when traveling. None of the others seem to work for me as well.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Barbasol works for me. As an added bonus, the size and shape of the travel cans are very easy to pack in a 3-1-1 bag.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Barbasol. Yellow can I find to be the best. With lanolin.

I routinely use it actually. It's in my rotation.

No one seems to like the red Gillette Foamy, or any of the Gillette gels at all

It's not that I dislike Gillette Foamy, it's that I like Barbasol more. I actually prefer the scent of Gillette Foamy over Barbasol.

There are two things I dislike about gels. One is I don't like the cold feeling when they go on. Foam at least has an air mix, and that keeps it from feeling as cold. Second is I don't like the scent. My wife does, but they tend to irritate me and make me think of fresh cut weeds.

Ya. The gels like the Edge tend to smell like your deodorant.
But for cartridge users, I think people with heavy beards tend to feel that Gels soften it better.

I tried using the Edge gel with a DE, but I always feel like gels put more wear the on the cutting edge

If I absolutely must use something canned, I like the gels from gillette. The canned foams like barbasol put out a foamy lather that has too much air in it to provide good protection. The foams also leave my skin feeling very dry after the shave where as the gel is not as bad. Gillette fusion proglide sensitive is probably the best canned goo I have tried yet.

Before I discovered B&B, I was using Nivea sensitive gel. It works for me with cartridges, but not that good with DE.

Also, the Gillette fusion gel works for me. Love their packaging.

For Barbasol, the green aloe one is well liked, compared to the Red canI usually have to mix water with the foam to thin it down, and add a little slickness

Top Bottom