What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2021

Here in Minnesota, we're in the middle of a nasty cold snap that is soon to be going into its third week. At my age, it gets very tiring. On a positive note, I've noticed the daylight hours are lasting a little bit longer. There's only one thing to do, and that's hunker down and enjoy this while you go about your daily tasks:
DSCN1233.JPG

A pastry stout from Bent Paddle, Duluth, MN. Thought I'd made a mistake because the initial sip wasn't pleasant, but I think my taste buds re-aligned to a pleasant acceptance. Absolutely ink black, almost thick. A sipper, very okay at cellar temperature.

Yuengling. The only beer not followed by “Light” that the cart girl offered. I won’t tell you about today’s Central Florida weather.
😈
Speaking for myself, and my chattering teeth, I thank you. Relief at the end of this week....
DSCN1234.JPG

Pretty dark for an Irish red; seemed more like a doppel bock, but, it was inviting and very enjoyable. Had that hint of the hop note I associate with this style.

20210215_144428.jpg

Genesee Cream Ale is available here, but very local. I'm pleased and surprised at how much I liked it; I certainly don't consider it a "craft" offering. It will probably become my "I feel like a beer, but I don't want to put a lot of thought into it" choice. Hmmmm... a green can. Maybe I could get my brother in laws off that Heineken nonsense:idea:.

I've gotta stop staring at these bubble patterns; I don't think I'm going to find any hidden messages...
20210220_182719.jpg

I was hoping for more from this one. I think honey usually adds a nice, deeper sweetness without being over the top, but this one was just okay.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Agreed. A good one. Scarce around these parts, though. I've only seen one 4 pack, and I bought that. It's basically a ramped up (ABV-wise!) Sumatra Mountain, which is also quite good.

I felt swindled by their Frangelic Mountain. To me, it was simply Sumatra Mountain with hazelnut flavoring added.

I never tried the Frangelic Mountain. I remember seeing it but can’t remember why I didn’t try it. I agree that Sumatra Mountain is a good pour.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
8.2%. Not as dark as most barrel aged ales I’ve seen with a lot more carbonation than most. Very bourbon/booze forward with a surprisingly bitter aftertaste. I’ll finish the other 2 that I have but probably won’t be buying again.
0A0E93E9-E8EC-42DE-BDDC-A0A29D4FFF57.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
8.2%. Not as dark as most barrel aged ales I’ve seen with a lot more carbonation than most. Very bourbon/booze forward with a surprisingly bitter aftertaste. I’ll finish the other 2 that I have but probably won’t be buying again.
View attachment 1227491
Wow! Two of those would make a meal!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Wow! Two of those would make a meal!
Ha! A while back I picked up a 4 pack of some Barrel Aged Victory at Sea by Ballast Point and went to a friends daughter’s 6yr bday. I drank 3 of them in about an hour and came to the realization that I was having trouble speaking (mostly by the way people were looking at me). It was then that I realized the beer was 12% abv. I’d basically downed 9 Bud lights by abv in an hour. Lesson learned- always check the abv before drinking a beer you’ve never tried before. The beer, by the way, is excellent.

There was a time when this was my favorite beer. I've since come to enjoy their Stout variety a bit more. Also, it's been a couple of years, but they had a Pumpkin Bourbon Barrel beer that actually was pretty good. Just don't hate me for saying I liked a pumpkin beer...most of them are way too sweet for me now.
Finally, I was able to try a KY Ale from this brewery as well. It's the pre-bourbon barrel age version of this one. It's pretty good...if one wants a beer without bourbon. :D

Top Bottom