What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2021

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Because I my in-laws love everything from Sam Adams and I have 5 beers from a “winter pack” left. In all honesty it’s not that bad, much better than the Bud Light I had a few days ago.
49F2A875-20DA-47A8-B670-6054805E585B.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
There was a time when this was my favorite beer. I've since come to enjoy their Stout variety a bit more. Also, it's been a couple of years, but they had a Pumpkin Bourbon Barrel beer that actually was pretty good. Just don't hate me for saying I liked a pumpkin beer...most of them are way too sweet for me now.
Finally, I was able to try a KY Ale from this brewery as well. It's the pre-bourbon barrel age version of this one. It's pretty good...if one wants a beer without bourbon. :D
I saw this again but in bottles today and almost bought it. I have found that barrel aged beers are a lot like single barrel whisky. The flavors are always close but it’s impossible to exactly match them because no two barrels are exactly the same. I keep going back to it and thinking that it deserves a second chance. In the end I bought something familiar and 2 somethings new, but there’s always next time.

A579AA5F-3AB8-4898-98CD-442D864EA60D.jpeg
Singha. First Thai beer produced and first one for me. Light, cold, crisp lager. What I want after a bike and before sushi, but I won’t be grabbing a six for sippin’ anytime soon.

I'm a fan of Mikellar's can artwork, too. Big eyed, one-dimensional characters. They almost look like ancient Egyptian figures painted on the walls of tombs.

^^^
You're not getting off that easy...
What did you get from this one?
It definitely had some sweetness, I drank it while prepping dinner so wasn’t paying strong attention (have 2 more though so I’m looking forward to those). There’s one other local brewery that does a rice pilsner, thinking about stopping in to grab one to do a side-by-side comparison.

Moonraker is a brewery in No.California that I’d never heard of and then have been seeing/hearing a lot about just recently. A buddy brought some to a park meetup yesterday, this one is really good! Nice nose and fruit, a little hoppiness but not bitter, and has something a little bit interesting on the finish that I’m not sure what it is (almost like a tiny bit of funk). I have my eye out for a pack of this.
E3A5A266-19D6-4F4B-9593-F0B3BA7D0F9F.jpeg
09D00095-C23F-4FE8-91AE-91CC6793BA25.jpeg

View attachment 1223895
Genesee Cream Ale is available here, but very local. I'm pleased and surprised at how much I liked it; I certainly don't consider it a "craft" offering. It will probably become my "I feel like a beer, but I don't want to put a lot of thought into it" choice. Hmmmm... a green can. Maybe I could get my brother in laws off that Heineken nonsense:idea:.

Genesee Cream Ale...hmmm. I'll start by saying I am a boomer, at the the end of the Boomer Gen. This stuff was popular in my area (Northern Delaware) in the late 70's and I drank many. I bought it often (out of state) and liked it. One time, my dad actually hired me, (instead of me being a resident manadatory laborer) and my best friend to help with a large 2 day physical task. He bought me and my friend a 6 of Gen Cream Ale (he drank Miller Genuine Draft back then) for after the job, and I was happy to drink a beer of my dad's that I hadn't stolen from him...I drank 2 as well as my friend. And I don't wanna it seem that It wasn't good beer, it's just ingrained in my youth and I will always love it as such.

Sincerely,
Al

PS - Always run flat out and never lift!

Genesee Cream Ale...hmmm. I'll start by saying I am a boomer, at the the end of the Boomer Gen. This stuff was popular in my area (Northern Delaware) in the late 70's and I drank many. And I don't wanna it seem that It wasn't good beer, it's just ingrained in my youth and I will always love it as such.

I like posts like this. I don't want you to think that anything you posted was pithy, or maybe even irrelevant in a silly sort of way. It's nostalgia!

My brief research into the history of Genesee Cream Ale shows that its been around for quite a few years. I'm surprised that it didn't catch on and become more well known, because whatever they did to come up with the recipe and the final result, it stands well above the major brewer's offerings. To me, beers offered through the the 60's, 70's and most of the 80's are nearly undrinkable. Genesee's Cream Ale appears to have been a local "hit;" popular in New York and surrounding states. Maybe you could define it as a "best kept beer secret" amongst locals. Your post, and others I've read, seem to bear this out. And the stories always have a nice, "fond memory" quality to them that I really like.

Top Bottom