What's new

Bear Defense Handgun Caliber

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Great post Brian. I almost pooped my pants in fear just reading it. I can't imagine having to stay calm and focus ones sights on a charging bear. Hell, years ago, I was looking for a suspect where we had a perimeter set up which included an apartment complex. Had a black stray cat jump out at me from the dumpster that was sitting in the parking lot. Scared the bejesus out of me.

It looked as big as a black bear at the time. :)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I have had a few close encounters with black bears. Most of them on my family property in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Anything that makes a bang will scare away most black bears in areas you don’t want them. Firecrackers included.

If they actually charge you, it’s usually a fake charge. Some people say they can tell a fake charge from an attack. I’m too busy filling my britches to decide. I have been charged 3 times.

The first one, I had a loaded 338 mag model 700 aimed at it. We were recovering a dead bear during season. I didn’t shoot because it stopped 20 feet away and I t was dark. I didn’t have the gun even pointed in the right direction until it stopped. There were several bears around us making noises and charging and I was the only one out of 3 guys with a weapon. If that bear wanted to, it could have gotten to me. I might have shot it, but unless you crank one in the brain from that distance..... I shot in front of it and it ran. Scariest moment in my outdoor adventures.

A couple other times I was charged setting/checking traps. Both times armed with a 22 revolver But never drawn. Both in the daylight. Both charges were scary, but one of them the bear got close. She wasn’t huge, but still good sized. A shovel was my weapon of choice, as it was in my hands, and I came damn close to hitting her before she detoured. She dodged my swat and detoured right past me. The other stopped a ways away and I just yelled (screamed in terror) before it ran off. Never tried to even draw. Both hands came up to punch in a pure reaction.

I don’t think any gun, unless you have it in your hand, will be useful in most close charges. From a distance if you notice them, with time, a 9mm with deep penetrating bullets is fine for black bears. Of course bigger is better. They die relatively easy with a decent shot, get scared easy, and are rarely act aggressive. If you get surprised, and they mean business.... A shotgun is probably your best bet. Drawing a pistol and aiming takes time. Unless they are on you, any bang is very scary in itself to them in my experience. If they are on you, you better be ready with your weapon.

Brown bears I have no experience with. I backpack a lot and have been in big bear country. I didn’t carry anything in the past most times. 44 revolvers are too heavy. I had a beautiful model 29, but just way too heavy after carrying it a couple trips. I’m looking at a much lighter 10mm. I don’t know how effective either would be, but it sees to be highly debatable from my research. Keeping your head while getting charged is really scary with a black bear, I cannot imagine being charged by a big brown bear. I’d probably drop dead from fear if I saw it...

I’m not sure I’d worry about what gun with a black bear. I often carry just a 22 revolver or a knife in my woods. Just whatever you are comfortable with is best. Experts all say 10mm or bigger for brown and 44 mag or bigger for coastal grizzlies.... I have no experience there.

If I were going into known dangerous place, I’d carry a shotgun with slugs. When we track bears in the dark we get our shotguns now. Thats just not feasible most days though. A 7 or 8 pound gun really limits you in your woodland activities.

I‘M interested in your decision if you buy a new gun @waltercervantes.

Regards
I was in Michigan 2 years ago (we have a family place near Gaylord) and was driving around looking a spot to trout fish. Came around a corner and there was a black bear that I swear was the size of my Yaris. It bolted and disappeared into the boreal. How does something THAT big hide among birch and ferns?!?. Anyways I decided I didn't want to do any walking in to fishing after all! Next time I go back I will have my AR-15 (8 pounds-ish with 20 rounds) pistol in tow. A little long at 26" but...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was in Michigan 2 years ago (we have a family place near Gaylord) and was driving around looking a spot to trout fish. Came around a corner and there was a black bear that I swear was the size of my Yaris. It bolted and disappeared into the boreal. How does something THAT big hide among birch and ferns?!?. Anyways I decided I didn't want to do any walking in to fishing after all! Next time I go back I will have my AR-15 (8 pounds-ish with 20 rounds) pistol in tow. A little long at 26" but...

The one unpleasant close-up I had with a black bear, it came up from behind me while I was resting, and made so little noise I thought it was a squirrel. When we both went up on our hind legs and I shouted obscenities at it, it didn't run. It just melted away behind cover. It could have been circling around.

At that point, I thought to myself that it looked like a good beach day, instead of forest day...

AA

The one unpleasant close-up I had with a black bear, it came up from behind me while I was resting, and made so little noise I thought it was a squirrel. When we both went up on our hind legs and I shouted obscenities at it, it didn't run. It just melted away behind cover. It could have been circling around.

At that point, I thought to myself that it looked like a good beach day, instead of forest day...

AA

They are amazingly quiet when they want to be.

I'd not bet MY life on it being a "fake charge". Maybe bet YOUR life on it, but not Mine.

I wouldn’t either.

Most guys who do a lot of stream fishing in black bear country, that I know, do carry a pistol in a chest holster. Im not that avid of a fisherman, but it is not terribly uncommon to see bears in the streams. I saw one that was sleeping in a shallow stream while fishing a few years ago. Just chilling out.

In the woods....not so common. Where my family property is happens to be a real hot spot for bears. You see more of them when the raspberries and blueberries are coming on. Occasionally you catch them crossing 2 tracks. I see evidence of them digging old stumps all year long so they are definitely there...

I have never had an encounter with a bear but did have one with a Moose.

I was in Alaska on a business trip and stayed there over the weekend. Someone said I should go to a vantage point to see what the tide looked like when it came in. The site was amazing. You could see the sand that looked like crevices. I parked my rental car off the road and walked to a vantage point. It took about 15 minutes to see the tide come in and it was quite interesting. All of a sudden I began to smell something and I turned around and saw a rather large moose about 15 feet to the side of my car. I had been warned that moose can be dangerous and that more people are injured by moose than by bears. The moose was huge and it just grunted and stared at me. It pawed the ground but at first, did not make a move to me.

I stood there for what seemed like an eternity armed with only an Agva 35mm camera. Gradually, the moose moved back and I slowly walked to my car. I got into my car, closed the door just as the moose decided to investigate what was in the car. It scraped against the driver door and I thought he might roll the car over. I used the horn and it startled him. That gave me enough time to start the engine and leave.

A few days later, I returned the auto to the rental car company at the airport. The rep looked at the damage to the door of the car and made a comment about me meeting a moose. My only regret was that I was too terrified to take a photo of the moose and the car. I did not want to make any move that would think I was being aggressive.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

I was in Alaska on a business trip and stayed there over the weekend. Someone said I should go to a vantage point to see what the tide looked like when it came in. The site was amazing. You could see the sand that looked like crevices. I parked my rental car off the road and walked to a vantage point. It took about 15 minutes to see the tide come in and it was quite interesting. All of a sudden I began to smell something and I turned around and saw a rather large moose about 15 feet to the side of my car. I had been warned that moose can be dangerous and that more people are injured by moose than by bears. The moose was huge and it just grunted and stared at me. It pawed the ground but at first, did not make a move to me.

I stood there for what seemed like an eternity armed with only an Agva 35mm camera. Gradually, the moose moved back and I slowly walked to my car. I got into my car, closed the door just as the moose decided to investigate what was in the car. It scraped against the driver door and I thought he might roll the car over. I used the horn and it startled him. That gave me enough time to start the engine and leave.

A few days later, I returned the auto to the rental car company at the airport. The rep looked at the damage to the door of the car and made a comment about me meeting a moose. My only regret was that I was too terrified to take a photo of the moose and the car. I did not want to make any move that would think I was being aggressive.

You were lucky.

The very worst thing you can ever do with a moose is hit one with your vehicle.

Because they are so tall, on a direct hit, they come right over the hood, and through the windshield, often killing the front seat occupants.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Classic SAABs (95 and earlier models) were designed to survive hitting a moose or reindeer. They even added a simulated moose collision to their safety testing protocol.

I own a cabin and hunting property on the US Canada border in northern Minnesota. the primary predators are black bears and timber wolves. Ive hunted these woods for 40 years for moose, grouse, bear, and deer. In 40 years I had a single pucker moment with a mother black bear and her two cubs. Never once felt concerned about wolves. They are far to shy and far to smart to get near enough for an encounter.

As far as black bear goes. When I’m in the woods alone I carry a S&W 629 .44 mag with an 8 3/8” barrel. Hand loaded rounds with H110 pushing hand cast hard semi-wadcutters weighing around 245 grains including the gas check.

Ive used this same round to take two bears while hunting. One a 315 pound male, the other a 285 pound sow. I didn’t hunt with the S&W, I was using a Winchester Model 94 Trapper chambered for 44 mag for both bears. I believe it has an 18“ barrel so the velocity is a bit higher than out of the pistol.

In Minnesota you hunt bears from a tree stand, so it’s generally a close downward shot, under 25 yards. The 44 mag out of the carbine performed admirably with quick humane kills on both animals.

So...I’ve rarely had bear encounters....yet carry a large handgun...the 629 ain’t light....when tromping alone in the woods. Why? Cuz those two Black bears I got hunting impressed the begeebers out of me. The smaller of the two could take my head off as easily as sneezing. When I say I’ve on,y had one pucker moment in 40 years that isn’t to say I rarely see bears. On the contrary, I’ve enjoy many hours watching them and they are remarkably fast and strong.

When I had the encounter with momma bear...we met each other on a narrow game trail about 30 yards apart. I had the Smith on a hip holster and was out for a hike with a gps marking future Hunting stands. Somehow mom and cubs got between me and the truck. Mom snorted at me, I got big and loud as this usually backs them down. Her cubs treed mom charged and I puckered. She covered 20 yards before I could even react. She stopped, backed off, I tossed The gps, grabbed Smith, pointed it at mom, and sang to her as I walked slow,y backwards down the trail. She snorted a few times, and stayed with her cubs.

5 minutes later I was well down the trail and I’m not to proud to say that andrenaline had me shaking so badly I had to set the weapon on the ground because I couldn’t get it back In the holster. The song I sang...just sort of popped in my head Ive no idea why...and started coming out my mouth. Cat Stevens Father and Son. Have t heard it since the 70s and 5his happened in 98. Very odd.

This was an incredible read. Thanks for posting.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Classic SAABs (95 and earlier models) were designed to survive hitting a moose or reindeer. They even added a simulated moose collision to their safety testing protocol.

Poor SAAB. Another one that GM wrecked.

Ford nearly did the same with Volvo.

One of my pals from Canada told me Moose are way more dangerous than any other animal as far as attacks go. I don’t know if he is correct

I was close to a big one on a hike once in Canada. No scary experience, just watched him walk up a trail. I was safely out of the way. I don’t think he noticed me. What a humongous creature! Hard to comprehend until you see one. You really kept your cool!

Here is what Michigan’s dnr says about black bears. There are some really cool pictures at the end if you are interested.

If I lived in bear country and was limited to a pistol, I suspect I would be carrying a well vetted load in a Glock 20, 10 MM with the OEM 6 inch barrel. Perhaps a Glock 40 which is a long slide 10mm with that 6 inch barrel standard.

If I was headed to bear country in a one off scenario, I would like to vet some buffalo bore brand fodder for my .40 cal Glock 35. Worst case scenario-Gold Dot 180g. 5 rounds of that in an 8 inch circle at 5 yrds from concealment with a big step off line in sub 3 seconds is my on demand all day long right now-first shot 1.75 all day long.

I would be in bear country with an OWB retention holster (Safariland GLS) such that my time should be no worse and perhaps better even factoring for startle... unless I vapor lock in which case-you can split my gear. ;)

I know a guy... who traverses bear country all the time in Alaska-a shotgun with slugs is his primary solution. I believe a red dot sighted Glock of some flavor is his backup.

.44 Magnum
01FF5A3C-24B2-42B9-8A89-85D262ACE120.jpeg

10mm
54E6065C-7128-43F5-B99F-7C979D6D11A0.jpeg

I’ll go with the .44 every time

Top Bottom