What's new

Thinking of making my first handgun purchase*

I am glad to see someone else in here who has a CZ. I have a CZ75B two tone (the fun gun) and a CZ75 PCR (my carry). Glad to see you got something that you like and fits you!

Wish me luck...talked to the dealer Saturday about getting a suppressor ready P07 or P09. Hopefully they call me with good news tomorrow. :D

Wife has a 75BD. I have a 75B and a SP01.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I am glad to see someone else in here who has a CZ. I have a CZ75B two tone (the fun gun) and a CZ75 PCR (my carry). Glad to see you got something that you like and fits you!

Thanks, Tom! It might put a smile on your face to know that I use a fountain pen and a Apica notebook as my range log. I might not post in The Nib as much as I used to, but I still use fountain pens daily.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Somehow...I knew you were half...

:lol:

Get a 1911 and carry it cocked and locked for awhile...you'll fo-get about your worries.

I know having a holster covering the trigger and trigger/finger discipline is all the same, Glock, 1911 etc. Has there ever been any history of a 1911 mechanical hammer failure and dropping all on it's own?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I know having a holster covering the trigger and trigger/finger discipline is all the same, Glock, 1911 etc. Has there ever been any history of a 1911 mechanical hammer failure and dropping all on it's own?

Not that I know of, also none that I personally know about. All "accidental discharges" have been operator error. Kinda like the Police Chief that re-holstered his "safe" designed Glock, got the pull string on his jacket caught in the trigger...and BANG!

Thank goodness he only got a graze on his leg. I did/do have a thumb break strap that went between the frame and cocked hammer on my duty rig, but I also carry a 1911 Mexican carry at times...for decades. I'll have to look up any failures on 1911 hammer an sear failures and see what returns. I would hazard a guess that it would have to be a very light custom trigger job on a 1911 for a hammer/sear failure.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Is Cocked and Locked Dangerous?

Found this, Rob. ^^^What he said. YMMV.

Great link, very informative. One thing I forgot to consider is, he said; "If the sear hook on the hammer were to break, the sear would be captured by the half-**** notch preventing an accidental discharge."

I forgotten all about the half **** notch. So basically, if you can simultaneously, 1. get past the trigger covered holster and get your finger in there some way. 2. inadvertently knock the safety down and off. 3. squeeze the back strap safety and or; 4 break the sear hook and miraculously still get the hammer past the half-**** notch?

Yeah, there wouldn't be anything accidental about that inadvertent discharge... That would have to be intentional. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The Series 80 also has a firing pin safety. Some people say they don't like the trigger pull on the 80 as opposed to the Series 70, but it's just fine to me. I shot a friend's Series 70 Gold Cup many times and it is sweet...at 7 yards the X ring on a B 27 was just one big ragged hole.

An Lt. was riding with me one time and told me about a guy he was with that had a 1911 in the front of his belt and it went off, and killed him. I thought HUH??? The guy would have had to have swiped off the thumb safety, then a bit of belly flab push down on the grip safety, and his belt or something pull the trigger. I don't know if he was joshing me or just didn't like 1911s. I have no problem carrying my Series 80 1911 Mexican carry...been doing it for years. 1911s also need to have the slide FULLY in battery to fire. I have "heard" of the muzzle being shoved in a bad guys belly and the slide being put slightly out of battery and it wouldn't fire. Some people used to pin the grip safety in, deactivating it. That's something I wouldn't do...I never had a problem getting the grip safety off. But some people used to do the Fitz Special treatment to DA revolvers and I've seen some 1911s with the trigger guard cut away...Here's your Darwin Award.

Here's an overview of Series 80 safeties.

Last edited:
You have a lot of good options for the 700 dollar price point. Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P, FN , Walther PPQ, SIG P320, Springfield XD. The H&K VP9, but that one is gonna be closer to 700. As you can see, I like the polymer, striker fired semi autos. Lightweight, hi-cap, simple.You really can't go wrong with any of them. It will come down to whatever one feels the best in your hand. If possible, try to rent one. Do your research on each one. Each of them will have pros and cons. If I were gonna buy one and leave it stock, I'd go with the PPQ or VP9. If I didn't mind changing sights and triggers, Glock or M&P. I always change the sights on my Glocks and usually the trigger. However, I could live with the trigger on the Glock if I had to. I don't like the trigger on the M&P's. That would be swapped out for an Apex.

Like many have said, the SAO 1911 has a series checks and safeties to keep the handgun safe. The Beretta also has a series of redundant safeties. When people try to get cute and over-modify(not optimize) the actions on firearms due to lack of training and/or discipline, disasters(not accidents) happen.
Another thought is you don’t “carry” a target sidearm. Personal defense is a final resort.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
You have a lot of good options for the 700 dollar price point. Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P, FN , Walther PPQ, SIG P320, Springfield XD. The H&K VP9, but that one is gonna be closer to 700. As you can see, I like the polymer, striker fired semi autos. Lightweight, hi-cap, simple.You really can't go wrong with any of them. It will come down to whatever one feels the best in your hand. If possible, try to rent one. Do your research on each one. Each of them will have pros and cons. If I were gonna buy one and leave it stock, I'd go with the PPQ or VP9. If I didn't mind changing sights and triggers, Glock or M&P. I always change the sights on my Glocks and usually the trigger. However, I could live with the trigger on the Glock if I had to. I don't like the trigger on the M&P's. That would be swapped out for an Apex.

I ended up buying a VP9 LE back in March and a VP9SK a few weeks ago. 2900 rounds have gone through the full size and a little over 800 rounds through the SK.

96A023EB-7168-40AB-8537-6A8A30822756.jpeg
Bob Seger said it well....
“Call me a relic, call me what you will
Say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill
Today' music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock 'n' roll”

Steel, wood, reliability, soul.....
American revolvers-yeah!!

I ended up buying a VP9 LE back in March and a VP9SK a few weeks ago. 2900 rounds have gone through the full size and a little over 800 rounds through the SK.
Excellent choice. How do you like it? For the most part, I'm a Glock guy but I've really been thinking about getting a VP9. They get great reviews. I've handled a few of them in gun stores.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Excellent choice. How do you like it? For the most part, I'm a Glock guy but I've really been thinking about getting a VP9. They get great reviews. I've handled a few of them in gun stores.

Thanks! I love mine. I got the VP9sk as a carry gun because I liked the VP9 so much. The grip feels amazing and can be set in 27 different configurations on both guns. The grip angle gives me a very natural point of angle when presenting and aiming the firearm. I haven't tested either of mine with a scale yet, but the triggers feel fairly light and crisp. The trigger in my VP9 feels lighter than my VP9sk. Granted, my VP9 has roughly 4 times as much ammo through it (plus multiple times more dry fires). I have had compliments on my VP9's trigger from the beginning though, so it's probably just a better trigger than most. The slide stop/release and the mag release are both ambidextrous. The mag release is a paddle style, which has become very natural to me. I engage it with the middle finger of whatever hand I have on the trigger. Both of my HK's are the LE version with night sights and an extra mag.

My VP9 I bought from a gun shop in Mason, MI for $700 plus 6% sales tax. My VP9sk I bought online for $627 shipped, plus a $15 FFL dealer transfer fee.

Thanks! I love mine. I got the VP9sk as a carry gun because I liked the VP9 so much. The grip feels amazing and can be set in 27 different configurations on both guns. The grip angle gives me a very natural point of angle when presenting and aiming the firearm. I haven't tested either of mine with a scale yet, but the triggers feel fairly light and crisp. The trigger in my VP9 feels lighter than my VP9sk. Granted, my VP9 has roughly 4 times as much ammo through it (plus multiple times more dry fires). I have had compliments on my VP9's trigger from the beginning though, so it's probably just a better trigger than most. The slide stop/release and the mag release are both ambidextrous. The mag release is a paddle style, which has become very natural to me. I engage it with the middle finger of whatever hand I have on the trigger. Both of my HK's are the LE version with night sights and an extra mag.

My VP9 I bought from a gun shop in Mason, MI for $700 plus 6% sales tax. My VP9sk I bought online for $627 shipped, plus a $15 FFL dealer transfer fee.
Nice. That's right around the corner from me. Which one did you get it from Total or Not Just?

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
In light of recent HK VP-9 chatter, here’s a FWIW...

CDNN Investments:
- VP-9 Green frame; bronze slide; black/black: $499.99
- VP-9 Tactical & VP-9SK black/black: $599.99
- VP-9SK Grey polymer frame: $499.99

Link: CDNN SPORTS - CDNN Sports

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nice. That's right around the corner from me. Which one did you get it from Total or Not Just?

Total Firearms. That's where I've been going to shoot my pistols for the past five months. I head to the DNR Rose Lake range (in Bath) for rifles.

In light of recent HK VP-9 chatter, here’s a FWIW...

CDNN Investments:
- VP-9 Green frame; bronze slide; black/black: $499.99
- VP-9 Tactical & VP-9SK black/black: $599.99
- VP-9SK Grey polymer frame: $499.99

Link: CDNN SPORTS - CDNN Sports

Those prices are for the standard versions. The LE versions with night sights and an extra mag are listed for $649.

Top Bottom