What's new

Thinking of making my first handgun purchase*

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
As the title states, I'm thinking of making my first handgun purchase. I know that there are quite a few knowledgeable folks on here when it comes to firearms. I've read through quite a few threads on this forum, but I was wondering if I could get some advice and suggestions.

I own a Taurus Judge that I inherited, but want to get something else to compliment the Judge. I know very little about handguns. I've only fired 3 handguns in my life: a few shots out of the Judge (I know... I need to get in some more practice with it), about a dozen rounds from my mom's S&W 637 .38 Special, and four or five rounds from a big ol' .44 Mag Colt revolver. I shot the .38 Special and the .44 Mag over ten years ago, so I don't remember much about the experience other than the .44 Mag was heavy as hell, and the power and recoil took most of the joy out of shooting it.

I'm thinking about a 9mm semi-auto. I've toyed with the idea of a .45, but until I know that I'll be comfortable shooting that caliber, the 9mm might be ideal. I also like that fact that most 9mm handguns will have a larger carrying capacity than a .45. The carrying capacity and speed of loading/reloading is also why I'm leaning toward a semi-auto, opposed to a revolver. I do have a gun store with a range about 35 minutes from where I live. They have used gun rentals ($15 per gun, on top of their range fee) for their range, so I'm going to try to see how comfortable I am with the .45 when I have time to visit the shop.

The price is an interesting factor for me. I'm hoping to spend under $700, but I'm also one of those buy once, buy right types of guys. I'd much rather spend more on a lifelong partner, than to upgrade (selling a gun to help fund a better one) a few times and essentially waste money in doing so. I also don't need it to look cool. Sure, if it does look cool, then that's great, but I'd much rather have a gun that's reliable, comfortable, and accurate over a cool looking Hollywood bad-guy type of gun.

It's primary function would be for home and personal defense. I would also use it as a sidearm for whatever reason when I go hunting in Northern Michigan. I'm not sure if a 9mm would even have enough power to stop a bear, but if my rifle jams, breaks, or I somehow run out of ammo, it would be better to have a pistol than nothing at all.

Any suggestions, questions, advice, etc. are welcome! I'm hoping that some of you guys can help to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

My first suggestion is to make sure that you really want the responsibility of a handgun that you may carry on a regular basis. For me, the answer is yes, but everyone is unique. Realize that your life will forever change if you have to put it into action. Of course, I subscribe to the idea that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.

Secondly, please take training courses. Around my area it is a requirement. The instructors can help you understand the difference between firearms.

Third, if you live in a state that allows you to rent a handgun at a range, or have friends that will take you shooting, do so. What is comfortable for one may not be comfortable for you. I didn't mind the .45 in my early years of military service, but some didn't like it at all. Also, the size of the grip can make a difference.

Fourth, practice regularly. Shooting is a perishable skill. It is also a lot of fun at the range. You can share it with your friends, kids, and spouse. My kids were pretty young when they first went to the range. My wife is a pretty good shot. All of them understand firearm safety and have never made me nervous (unlike some I qualified with at the military range).

As you said, there are a lot of experienced folks here. I will be watching to see what they advise, as I know several here have a lot more experience than I.

Sent via Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you're wanting a hi-cap. 9mm, I'd have to go with what Rob is going to recommend...one of the Glock (gasp) 9mm variants.

Since you live close to a range that rents handguns, like you said that's a real good way to try different ones out.

Have fun!

Hard to beat a revolver while developing basic skills, no malfunctions, no added gizmos, just point -n- click. A nice 4" 357 allows practicing with 38s and going full house 357 for defensive issues.

9 mm semi-autos are a popular choice too, trading simplicity for capacity. I despise Glocks, but they are almost as simple and reliable as a revolver. Something like a 19 is big enough to be fun to shoot, small enough to carry should you develop the desire.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks, Chris! I grew up around rifles and shotguns, so I'm well aware of the dangers of a firearm and what they're capable of. I've taken hunters safety courses and a general gun-safety/etiquette course when I was a teenager. We went over handguns in both courses, but we didn't fire any pistols during the courses.

Unfortunately, most of my buddies that shoot live a couple of hours or more away. The local store/range that I mentioned is probably my only option for trying out different guns and calibers at the moment.

I appreciate the tips though!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
If you're wanting a hi-cap. 9mm, I'd have to go with what Rob is going to recommend...one of the Glock (gasp) 9mm variants.

Since you live close to a range that rents handguns, like you said that's a real good way to try different ones out.

Have fun!

Thanks, Mike! Because of the price, it's popularity, and it's reported reliability, I had a strong feeling that a Glock would pop up as a suggested firearm.

Hard to beat a revolver while developing basic skills, no malfunctions, no added gizmos, just point -n- click. A nice 4" 357 allows practicing with 38s and going full house 357 for defensive issues.

9 mm semi-autos are a popular choice too, trading simplicity for capacity. I despise Glocks, but they are almost as simple and reliable as a revolver. Something like a 19 is big enough to be fun to shoot, small enough to carry should you develop the desire.

Thanks, Bill! A Glock 19 is one that I was looking at while window shopping online. Do you have any recommended brands or models of 357s for me to check out? I know that S&W revolvers are very popular, but should I consider looking into any of the other manufacturers?

Get a .22 revolver. Ammo is cheap compared to center fire ammo and it won't snap your wrist off in recoil. You already have the judge that can put a hole in a wall in case someone breaks in your home. Sig Sauer Mosquito or the Ruger are great semi autos. The Ruger had been improved for takedown and cleaning. I had one a few years back and it was darn near impossible to clean it. I may get a new one. Vintage Hi Standards were also some of the best .22 semi autos but can be had for decent prices.

Thanks, Chris! I grew up around rifles and shotguns, so I'm well aware of the dangers of a firearm and what they're capable of. I've taken hunters safety courses and a general gun-safety/etiquette course when I was a teenager. We went over handguns in both courses, but we didn't fire any pistols during the courses.

Unfortunately, most of my buddies that shoot live a couple of hours or more away. The local store/range that I mentioned is probably my only option for trying out different guns and calibers at the moment.

I appreciate the tips though!
Yeah, I always start with the basics, since what seems basic to me isn't so basic to others. Sounds like you are ready to move forward. The gun range by your house is a great option. Sadly, it isn't an option here in my state.

Sent via Tapatalk

If it were me and I were looking for something that would serve the purpose of both home defense against two legged predators and one that would also suffice for 4 legged predators, a 4" or possibly 6" .357 comes to mind. Some will tell you that anything with claws and teeth require something in the neighborhood of .44 Magnum for starters and I wouldn't necessarily argue that, but using a .44 Mag with full loads in a home defense situation could be problematic due to its tremendous blast, penetration and relatively slow rate of fire.

This could easily be remedied by loading your home defense rounds down to .44 Special power range though. I would easily feel comfortable with that in front of me in a tense situation.

As you move forward though, do consider as recommended above, a good .22 lr. They are invaluable for affordable trigger practice and to build confidence with marksmanship fundamentals. My nod there goes to the Ruger Mk series, which to me are the best option to be had in their price range...very affordable, durable and reliable with any decent ammo. Best wishes in your decision!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A 9mm is a great all-arounder. Plinker, self defense, anything.

G17 and G19 Glocks are obvious, but you should look at a Sig P226, P229 etc. if you like quality things. The Glock is a Bic lighter, really. Works every time. Soul less. The Sig does ooze quality. Hey, it was good enough for Seal Team Six, right?

AA

If you get a chance to rent a firearm, try Walther.... and NOT because James Bond uses one! The PPQ is a great platform, it looks nice, and the trigger is exquisite. Available in 9, .40, and 45. The Walther P99 would also be a great choice; they pop up for sale a couple of times a year here in the states, with the latest batch just coming in in January which is when I picked up my full size 99. If you shop around you can find a brand new one in the mid to high $500 range.

Definitely shop around. Get something that works for you.

Don

There is nothing more basic yet effective than a good quality revolver.
.357/.38 is the most practical choice.

If you get a chance to rent a firearm, try Walther.... and NOT because James Bond uses one! The PPQ is a great platform, it looks nice, and the trigger is exquisite. Available in 9, .40, and 45. The Walther P99 would also be a great choice; they pop up for sale a couple of times a year here in the states, with the latest batch just coming in in January which is when I picked up my full size 99. If you shop around you can find a brand new one in the mid to high $500 range.

Definitely shop around. Get something that works for you.

Don
Nothing beats a German made one. Nice pieces. An East German Makarov is a sort of clone and well made. Also FN makes some swell pistols. Nothing beats a Smith, Colt, Ruger. One day I will get a 1911 military model. Always wanted that one and a decent 22 wheel gun. I have an Airman and a Security Six and they are jewels. 38s get costly and I have little time to reload them. Too cold in the garage and don't want to do it in the boiler room. 22 is my best option. I can go razor crazy in the used gun dept. I enjoy the classics. Same with rifles. Iron and wood. No plastic. I was raised on the classics. I guess that is why I like them.

I’m not a glock fan. S&W M&P and Springfield XD are my preferred 9mms. I love them both!
Another two examples of firearm engineering at its best. I'm partial to snub 38s for carry. Don't have the endorsement at present because NY makes it easier to be a criminal. show cause as they say. No clear cut definition of what cause is so it's their dice roll. Not enough cash deposits per year. Still can hunt and target as well as premises dwelling so no biggie

Last edited:
Never owned a Glock so can't comment from personal experience.

They are well thought of and in service just about everywhere.

You could not go wrong with this choice.

My personal favorite shooting 9mm is a Navy Lugar. NOT everyone's cup of tea but for me it's the cat's pajamas.

3466-01.jpeg

By the way, the best advice anybody gave me was to go into a gun store and see what pistol fits best in your hand. Whatever that is, you’re likely to shoot it well. That advice was dead on. You need to find what you are comfortable with. Not what others are.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, Erik...since you have the Judge, have you gotten staging the trigger in DA mode down on it yet? That's really not a great model to learn on though. The trigger pull on my Smith 681 is as slick as owl crap on a door knob.

That trigger pull manipulation could help if you compare revolvers and semi-autos at the range.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
As the title states, I'm thinking of making my first handgun purchase. I know that there are quite a few knowledgeable folks on here when it comes to firearms. I've read through quite a few threads on this forum, but I was wondering if I could get some advice and suggestions.

Congratulations on your decision Erik, on becoming more adequately armed. You are exactly right, the purchase of your first handgun is an investment; and not just only a monetary investment. but more importantly, an investment in the security and protection of the things one cares about most.

This is the advice I will give for your consideration.

I own a Taurus Judge that I inherited, but want to get something else to compliment the Judge.

I would also use it as a sidearm for whatever reason when I go hunting in Northern Michigan. I'm not sure if a 9mm would even have enough power to stop a bear, but if my rifle jams, breaks, or I somehow run out of ammo, it would be better to have a pistol than nothing at all.

from what I read, these are the boxes, you are looking to check off:

1. First handgun purchase.

2. You want a semi auto with some decent capacity.

Ok, right off the top, the above couple of quotes of yours that I bolded tells me:

1. You already own a revolver that you inherited. Check off that box. Not that you can't or won't buy another revolver in the future, but you already have one, so deciding on a semi auto, for defense or possible carry and/or just owning a second and different type of handgun is a very sound one.

So, no reason to think about another revolver. AS of right now. :)

2. "What should I carry in "Bear Country". You have a Taurus Judge Erik? Is it "THE" Taurus Judge that chambers a .45 Long Colt? Because if it is, get a holster for it, and take that thing with you when you go hunting. Bear or bad guy in the woods, need to be wary of a dude packing a .45 Long Colt when hunting. And you will be hard pressed to find a semi auto to fill this need short of the 10mm. Check another box.

You now have out of the way, owning a revolver and what do I carry in Bear Country. Now let's focus on that semi-auto you're looking for.

I'm thinking about a 9mm semi-auto. I've toyed with the idea of a .45, but until I know that I'll be comfortable shooting that caliber, the 9mm might be ideal. I also like that fact that most 9mm handguns will have a larger carrying capacity than a .45. The carrying capacity and speed of loading/reloading is also why I'm leaning toward a semi-auto, opposed to a revolver. I do have a gun store with a range about 35 minutes from where I live. They have used gun rentals ($15 per gun, on top of their range fee) for their range, so I'm going to try to see how comfortable I am with the .45 when I have time to visit the shop.

If you want/ like the .45 Erik, you should consider it. I read further down in your post about your concern that a 9mm might not be enough for a bear and you are correct sir in that assessment, but a .45 ACP might not be enough for a bear either. Did you know, the 9mm actually has more power and velocity then the .45 ACP? 9mm can move as fast as 1200 fps while the 230 gr. 45ACP is only doing 800 fps. Another excellent reason to take that awesome Taurus Judge into the woods with you instead. :)

The recoil of a hot 9mm and a .45 ACP is for all practical purposes, going to feel the same to you, just as controllability will feel about the same to you. You might get more pronounced muzzle rise with the 9mm and more rearward recoil with the .45, but they are pretty much identical in the smoothness and control in which they shoot.

And with today's modern ammo they also are identical in how they perform. So get the caliber you want, not because one is better over the other, because in fact they are not. They just go about it differently but arrive at the exact same place.

The price is an interesting factor for me. I'm hoping to spend under $700, but I'm also one of those buy once, buy right types of guys. I'd much rather spend more on a lifelong partner, than to upgrade (selling a gun to help fund a better one) a few times and essentially waste money in doing so. I also don't need it to look cool. Sure, if it does look cool, then that's great, but I'd much rather have a gun that's reliable, comfortable, and accurate over a cool looking Hollywood bad-guy type of gun.

Now we have the different calibers out of the way, let's talk about the type and brand of Semi-Auto. Since my good friend @simon1 so eloquently pointed out, that I am a Glock fanboy, and I am. But I also am a lover of all firearms first and foremost.

So, I will ignore the fact that you said you aren't experienced with semi -auto's and the fact that I spent a decade training literally thousands of really young people who came to me not knowing diddly squat about firearms and now most of those right now, still carry a firearm into harm's way. And the firearm they most likely carry, is a Glock.

I won't tell you, about Glock's legendary toughness and reliability and I won't say a thing about the decades, of it's street proven combat performance and accuracy. Or the art form of it's sheer simplicity and manual of arms.

But I will say, I think it was the perfect idea for you to rent a few guns and let them compete against one another at the range and vie for you attention, admiration and desire. Let the best gun "to you" win. :)

But if/when you do rent, I suggest:

1. Glock Model 19 Gen 4 9mm. 15 round capacity.

2. Sig Sauer Model 229 40S&W. 12 round capacity.

3. S&W M&P Model 2.0 .45 ACP 10+1 capacity with optionally purchased 14 round extension.

You can do the Glock and S&W for well under your $700 mark and the Sig at or around that mark if you search hard enough.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Never owned a Glock so can't comment from personal experience.

They are well thought of and in service just about everywhere.

You could not go wrong with this choice.

My personal favorite shooting 9mm is a Navy Lugar. NOT everyone's cup of tea but for me it's the cat's pajamas.

View attachment 865151
I have ruger mark 1 looks almost identical and it can split a hair.

People don't like glocks but if they are dirty, they don't jam and do shoot anything. That would be my choice. Soulless, as someone stated? Maybe, but you don't buy a gun for a soul.

If you go that way, get a gen 3.

I would also go rent some at a range.

Top Bottom