What's new

bay rum

Grooming Dept Mandarin Bay is available at WCS right now. It's not a traditional Bay Rum scent, but I doubt if there is a better performing Bay Rum soap made at this moment. It know there's a lot of hyperbolic rhetoric thrown around here, and I might be guilty of some of it, but this donkey milk/lamb tallow/duck fat base is pretty amazing.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Grooming Dept Mandarin Bay is available at WCS right now. It's not a traditional Bay Rum scent, but I doubt if there is a better performing Bay Rum soap made at this moment. It know there's a lot of hyperbolic rhetoric thrown around here, and I might be guilty of some of it, but this donkey milk/lamb tallow/duck fat base is pretty amazing.

Interesting.

Mandarin Bay is a Grooming Dept soap the performance and scent of which I like a great deal. I also like, use now, and have used for decades bay rum splashes. I'd never thought of Mandarin Bay as a bay rum and will have to evaluate its scent anew.

Don't get me wrong. I have a good nose and smell things pretty well. The scents I smell don't translate into language and cognition very well at all. In other words, I'm lousy at recognizing in a cognitive way many scents and lousy at scent description.

Thanks for pointing out something I should look at (with my nose) more carefully.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Interesting.

Mandarin Bay is a Grooming Dept soap the performance and scent of which I like a great deal. I also like, use now, and have used for decades bay rum splashes. I'd never thought of Mandarin Bay as a bay rum and will have to evaluate its scent anew.

Don't get me wrong. I have a good nose and smell things pretty well. The scents I smell don't translate into language and cognition very well at all. In other words, I'm lousy at recognizing in a cognitive way many scents and lousy at scent description.

Thanks for pointing out something I should look at (with my nose) more carefully.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I, too, have used Bay Rum splashes for a long time. I don't really think of Mandarin Bay as a "bay rum" either. It's close enough for me though and it has made my other, traditional, bay rum scents obsolete for the time being. I might not classify it as a "bay rum" per se, but I think it's in the same scent family. It's only one of a few soaps I felt the need to buy a backup (in case it's not made again). I have been buying way too many soaps lately, but Mandarin Bay is one of the ones I am actually using up at a decent clip.

Here are few more bay rums you may find interesting. Only the Chiseled Face Bay Rum has tallow, but they all lather well and leave my skin feeling fine.
  1. Meißner Tremonia Natural Bay Rum - West Indies bay, Jamaican rum, a dash of clove. This is mostly just bay. If that's the scent you like, this has it in spades.
  2. Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny - West Indies bay, tea, rum, lime. Anne Bonny is generous with her West Indian bay, dressing it up with black tea, rum, and lime. The tea is a nice trick as it brings out the leafy goodness of the bay. The rum is quiet but sweet. And the lime does what it always does, making everything smell nice.
  3. Chiseled Face Bay Rum - Jamaican rum, West Indies bay, bergamot, clove, cinnamon, ginger, pepper, vanilla. The puck smells bland, but add a few drops of water and the scent really blooms.

Here are few more bay rums you may find interesting. Only the Chiseled Face Bay Rum has tallow, but they all lather well and leave my skin feeling fine.
  1. Meißner Tremonia Natural Bay Rum - West Indies bay, Jamaican rum, a dash of clove. This is mostly just bay. If that's the scent you like, this has it in spades.
  2. Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny - West Indies bay, tea, rum, lime. Anne Bonny is generous with her West Indian bay, dressing it up with black tea, rum, and lime. The tea is a nice trick as it brings out the leafy goodness of the bay. The rum is quiet but sweet. And the lime does what it always does, making everything smell nice.
  3. Chiseled Face Bay Rum - Jamaican rum, West Indies bay, bergamot, clove, cinnamon, ginger, pepper, vanilla. The puck smells bland, but add a few drops of water and the scent really blooms.
those all sound very intresting, ill have to check them out

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Old thread, but I'll throw my two cents in. Barrister and Mann Bay rum is great. Very citrus forward with a hint of spiciness before the bay leaf comes through. My personal favorite. Stirling has become for me a close second. Great Bay Rum! Much said about it in this thread and others. For both of these I have the soap and the aftershave...with the Stirling, I also have the EDT.

Colonel Conk smells nice...I don't have the soap, but I have the Bay Rum aftershave. To me...it's not even a Bay Rum...but...it's a really good barbershop type scent. Barrister and Mann Seville is my favorite barbershop scent...Colonel Conk Bay Rum is my second favorite barbershop scent.

ive been using stirlings, barister and mann, and uncle jons bay rums lately. i have some murphy and mcniel bay rum, but havent used it in forever.

JCarr

ive been using stirlings, barister and mann, and uncle jons bay rums lately. i have some murphy and mcniel bay rum, but havent used it in forever.

Sounds like you've got a good rotation there. I've tried Murphy and McNeil's Bay Rum aftershave...it was nice...different...subtle. Nice package. I'm coming to the end of my Bay Rum search quite honestly...I've purchased/tried so many in the last couple of years that I know what I like and what I don't. You may want to get a little zany and look for the Bootlegger's recipes on B&B for a good Bay Rum aftershave. I was pleasantly surprised and it's in my rotation now.

How about Zingari Man "The Nomad"?
Do you gents (and/or ladies) consider this to be a "legit" Bay Rum?
The performance of ZM Sego base is 2nd to NONE!,... and from the scent description and various reviews I understand this to be a lime-forward take on Bay Rum with much less emphasis on the clove & spices found in some Bay Rums.
I am about to order some of this, as I believe it will be a great summer soap.
Any Zingari Man Nomad users have an opinion???

My Favorite Bay Rum is Phoenix and Beau..

IMG_2059.jpg

My all time favorite scent Bay Rum, right now I’m sitting on...

PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Sterling
Mystic Water
Ogallala
Noble Otter (Plunder)
Col. Conk
Murphy & McNeil
Uncle Jon’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My all time favorite scent Bay Rum, right now I’m sitting on...

PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Sterling
Mystic Water
Ogallala
Noble Otter (Plunder)
Col. Conk
Murphy & McNeil
Uncle Jon’s

i was looking at mystic waters webpage and couldnt find any aftershave, does she make aftershaves as well? or just shaving soap?

i was looking at mystic waters webpage and couldnt find any aftershave, does she make aftershaves as well? or just shaving soap?

No aftershave, if I had one gripe about mystic it would be that. But I also look at it as a way to not spend double the money haha as I have enough aftershave to find one that works with it any scent soap plus her soap seriously leaves such a nice post feel

JCarr

No aftershave, if I had one gripe about mystic it would be that. But I also look at it as a way to not spend double the money haha as I have enough aftershave to find one that works with it any scent soap plus her soap seriously leaves such a nice post feel

LOL! It gets expensive! I've compiled quite a list and just in this thread...two members have posted Bay Rum's I've never seen before. I'm resisting the urge!

Happy shaves!

How about Zingari Man "The Nomad"?
Do you gents (and/or ladies) consider this to be a "legit" Bay Rum?
The performance of ZM Sego base is 2nd to NONE!,... and from the scent description and various reviews I understand this to be a lime-forward take on Bay Rum with much less emphasis on the clove & spices found in some Bay Rums.
I am about to order some of this, as I believe it will be a great summer soap.
Any Zingari Man Nomad users have an opinion???

If you venture that way please report!!!

camo

I like Mike's
B&M is a, favourite of mine too. Never tried the AS though.

When it comes to AS nothing beats CO9T, but I like Ogallala too in all of its variants - plain, lime and peppercorns, sandalwood, sage and cedar, and sweet orange.

Top Bottom