What's new

bay rum

ok, ill keep experimenting with the soap, should i get some distilled water from the store and see if that helps anything, would prbly be much softer than the water we have around here
Some people go that route.... I have never found the need. Extremely hard water will require a bit more work but you should still be able to achieve good results!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I got a puck of col conks bay roam soap and really like the way it smells, i was wondering if anyone had a recomendation on some really high quality artisan bay rum i could get, it can be a puck, cream, or crope. any suggestions would be greatly apreciated, col conks seems to have sweet notes to it, i wouldnt mind something on the other side of the scent spectrum as well. thx again
Stirling BayRum absolutely blows me away. Dominant scent is nutmeg - beautiful!

Stirling BayRum absolutely blows me away. Dominant scent is nutmeg - beautiful!
I love my Stirling Bay Rum for the very same reason... It still amazes me to this day how most confuse nutmeg with clove!! It would seem that Stirling is the only artisan that uses nutmeg in theirs which I think is why I'm so confused by others reactions.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I love my Stirling Bay Rum for the very same reason... It still amazes me to this day how most confuse nutmeg with clove!! It would seem that Stirling is the only artisan that uses nutmeg in theirs which I think is why I'm so confused by others reactions.
I even had my wife, the spice lady, confirm the nutmeg scent.

I even had my wife, the spice lady, confirm the nutmeg scent.
proxy.php

You can't go wrong with the Captain. I also have some Stirling Soap Bay Rum, but only the soap and not the aftershave. Stirling makes excellent soap, but a lot of others have a better bay rum scent, so I always use Captain's Cat o Nine Tails for aftershave.
I've got their Bay Rum aftershave & love it!

I've got their Bay Rum aftershave & love it!
I have, and love, several Stirling aftershaves. I've never used their Bay Rum because I prefer the Captain's scent. I wouldn't be against using their Bay Rum AS, but I would rather use Co9t or Atomic Age.

A hearty +1 to this recommendation!!
A very different, subtle and lovely experience with this under-the-radar gem.

Another +1 for Long Rifle Bay Rhum. Great scent and wonderful performance. My other favorite Bay Rum is from Turtleship Shaving. Another wonderful scent and the performance and post shave is outstanding.

I know B&M's Bay Rum is well liked, though it has been out of production for a bit due to shortage of ingredients. Just saw that Will was apparently able to start production again and has said it will be available on the 11th. In the original base for now with plans to switch to Excelsior in the future.

I had a chance to pick up some Mike's Bay Rum (based on a heads up from a poster on the sabbatical thread). This is a very nice bay rum made with essential oils. Unfortunately, it is seldom available. I shaved with Long Rifle then Mike's, doing a back to back comparison. It was obvious to me that Mike's use of essential oil gives it a step up over soaps which use fragrance oil. I still like Long Rifle but Mike's is on a different level--it is the real deal with the spicy scent of the real bay leaves coming through. For a moment there, I felt like I needed to put on an eye patch then I realized that, with only one eye, I might cut myself with my sabre.

Last edited:
I know B&M's Bay Rum is well liked, though it has been out of production for a bit due to shortage of ingredients. Just saw that Will was apparently able to start production again and has said it will be available on the 11th. In the original base for now with plans to switch to Excelsior in the future.
This is why I refuse to buy from artisans like B&M and the like is that they have a better based soap in the Excelsior yet they continue to make a re-run in the old base... If you have a new base then switch all you're other soaps over to it and move forward, not backwards!! DG, GD, A&E, and everyone else does the same thing, I just don't get it...

This is why I refuse to buy from artisans like B&M and the like is that they have a better based soap in the Excelsior yet they continue to make a re-run in the old base... If you have a new base then switch all you're other soaps over to it and move forward, not backwards!! DG, GD, A&E, and everyone else does the same thing, I just don't get it...

I would assume it still takes some time and testing to make sure things are right when moving an old scent to a new formulation. I do agree in this instance though - I believe it's been over a year since B&M Bay Rum has been made, so what's a little longer to get it ready in the new base instead.

Though I suppose newer isn't necessarily always better either. I know there are folks that prefer DG's Bison base over Icarus for example.

I would assume it still takes some time and testing to make sure things are right when moving an old scent to a new formulation. I do agree in this instance though - I believe it's been over a year since B&M Bay Rum has been made, so what's a little longer to get it ready in the new base instead.

Though I suppose newer isn't necessarily always better either. I know there are folks that prefer DG's Bison base over Icarus for example.
when it does become availabe, please let me know. i would be willing to give the new base a try

My favorite is Captain's Choice. I have their cream and their AS splash. Their Cat O'Nine Tails is good, too but the regular BR is my go to. I also like the Clubman BR for an AS.

Top Bottom