What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

Oh, that is what I meant. Platinum not Premium. Yeah, I was just curious if everyone had some from Shark Week or something.
Yeah I do - couple of trucks actually, but I used my open chrome package. Didn’t want to disturb @blethenstrom too much by having more than one tuck open. So I now have one tuck open…per type of blade, but I am sure that doesn’t count, does it?! :lol1:

Yeah I do - couple of trucks actually, but I used my open chrome package. Didn’t want to disturb @blethenstrom too much by having more than one tuck open. So I now have one tuck open…per type of blade, but I am sure that doesn’t count, does it?! :lol1:

Haha. Let's see if this is too much to take. @blethenstrom, Good afternoon, sir!

IMG_20240412_151811500.jpg

Date12.04.2024
366 daily shaves
104/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Old TypeLord Cool (6)Razorock Beehive
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (86)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.25/10
(DFS++)
7.5/10 (Comfortably smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Again slightly better performance from the blade. The Old Type is the mother of all open combs. Wow!

For extended shave notes click here.

Another fine shave with the Cool blade. It is starting to go in upper directions of the charts, but I am still taken back by the harsher feeling post shave. Aftershave sting was less today I noticed as it was yesterday, but other days were more intense. I don’t mind a burn at all, but I have my preference for the level of burn! Easily double digits of I wanted to. Better than ASCO? I remember those to be smoother or more comfortable. Not sure. Need to check my notes.

Enjoy your shave!

Today contrary to schedule I did not shave with the Sharp 7 AM blade, I cannot say it is a bad blade but it bored me.
I will try it again more times later.
Now I can leave some personal considerations and evaluations.

In my opinion it is an average sharp blade, less than a Russian Astra SP and many other platinum coated blades.
I did not check because I got to three shaves but in my opinion this Sharp 7 AM guarantees at least a fourth shave.
For me it is ideal in milder razors ,it is a good compromise for those looking for a rather mild but fairly sharp blade.

With respect to the youtube video where a guy reviews the Sharp 7 AMs reporting that they are sharper than the Wizamets I remain rather puzzled but I did not understand which Wizamets he is talking about.
The current production Wizamets I have not tried, I have only tested some Wizamet Polsiver in 2019 and I know they are completely different but the ones in past years were very noticeably sharp and aggressive, I couldn't say more.
My opinion of this blade Sharp 7 AM remains positive, I would definitely recommend buying it and trying it.

Date14.04.2024
366 daily shaves
105/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Super Adjustable 109Lord Cool (7)Abe's Brush Works Blutt STF
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (87)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
8/10
(DFS+)
7.5/10 (Comfortably smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Remembering my father-in-law today. Can´t believe it's 8 years already.

This is the final shave with the Cool blade and I must admit that the last few shaves were very nice. I think I will revisit the blade in due time to explore it some more. This Sunday shave was a smooth performance.

Enjoy your shave!

In the afternoon I got the urge to shave.
To say goodbye to the 7 a.m. Sharp blade I wanted to use a Chinese razor handle combined with the Yaqi Tile 316 head.

The shaving soap still the Dutch De Vergulde Hand very much appreciated.
Today's experience very good the blade flowed smoothly without jamming or tugging, I experienced no burning or irritation in the post shave.
Blade very much appreciated with this razor.

With respect to the youtube video where a guy reviews the Sharp 7 AMs reporting that they are sharper than the Wizamets I remain rather puzzled but I did not understand which Wizamets he is talking about.
I got confused this morning, the guy in the video was talking about Sharp 7 in the morning sharper than Perma Sharp.
Unverified, I used the Perma Sharp many years ago I cannot compare.

I follow with interest your preferences for Egyptian Lord blades, at the moment it seems that Asco is more below.
I will read your posts and this summer I will order some samples of the various brands Lord Cool, Silver Star,Racer, other razor blades and I will not keep ordering whole packs hundreds of blades without trying them first.

I was truant this weekend on the Lord Cools, and ended up using my WR3. I will be back with the Silver Star Monday!!

@Balin As delicacy and sweetness how would you classify them Asco, Lord Cool and Racer?
In that group of 3 I would go Lord Cool, Racer and then Asco. I am looking forward to the Silver Star before because looking back through my notes I had some very nice shaves with that blade. 🍻

Date15.04.2024
366 daily shaves
106/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Rocket HD500Silver Star (1)Mühle Rocca ST
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (88)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4.5/10 (Sharpish)
8/10
(DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Comforting and easy shave this morning as we kick off another week. Enjoy everyone!

I have used this blade once before and was able to get double digits with it even though I also used it for intermediate head shaves (nowadays I use injectors or GEMs for that) so this first shave was a breeze. Manufactured by Lord, but the tuck seems to mention another producer. The blade has been around for some time and I have seen references been made to the Star razor as well. Anyway great first performance - it was advertised as “the blade your face can’t feel”. It is smooth and comfortable. Sharpness is below that of the Cool on this first run. But it could also be the razor as this is in the milder category for me.

Date16.04.2024
366 daily shaves
107/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW LCSilver Star (2)Abe’s Brush Works Big Boy G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (89)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
8.25/10
(DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Nice and comfortable shave this morning. No frills no issues.

The blade is a solid performer this second shave. While I have the impression that all the blades I have used lately are on the milder side (judging by the smoothness of my skin post shave) I do think these are very capable of doing the job free from irritation as was the case today.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave #1 - Silver Star (by Lord)
Muhle R89
Irish Spring Bath Soap

I went with a bath soap which generates a decent lather but is low cushioning to me. This is so I can get maximum feel of the blade as I go through a first shave test with the Silver Star.

The blade felt fairly muted, but I have always thought the R89 gives a dampened feel. Hair came off efficiently but I did not get the impression that the Silver Star was sharper than the Lord Cool if at all which honestly surprised me to an extent. The Cool might even be a tad sharper?

Overall, very comfortable with no hitches. If I can get 4 more similar shaves from this very blade, the Silver Star would be a real "star" in my book.

Last edited:
Date17.04.2024
366 daily shaves
108/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW SCSilver Star (3)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (90)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
8.25/10
(DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A very fine and close shave with the Short Comb. Marvellous lather using Andrew’s @apshaveco Synbad knot.

Third run with the Silver Star and nothing worthy of mentioning. Simply a good performance this third run. Combination with the SC seems to be working as well.

Enjoy your shave!

:happybday: Boris @blethenstrom!!

Top Bottom