What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

Yes Guido, I am Italian and a resident of Italy.

DVH in Italy can be found at least in large supply stores for barbershops, hair salon items and beauticians.
I found it in one of these stores in my city,I will ask if they also have the eucalyptus variant.
Ahh - Bella Italia! Some of the best shaving software and hardware comes out of Italy. I love it! And let me know if you can find it - happy to help out if needed.

Cheers,

Guido

Personally, I do not believe the Cool and the Racer are the same blade, albeit they are similar. The Cool is just a bit better for me. I think they are the same metal stock, just ground and sharpened differently. There's also the matter of sputtering which is also impossible to ferret out for certain, absent equipment like microscopes to review.
Do not know about racer since I have not tried them, but Lord Platinum, ASCO, Big Ben, Lord Cool, Shark Platinum all feel very similar to me. Sure the coatings are a bit different, but I really cannot tell any difference between them. They all work just fine for me for a full week's worth (~6 shaves) of comfortable, close shaves and they all could probably go for a few more shaves than that. I have used full tucks of ASCO, Big Ben, Lord Cool and only a couple of the Shark Platinum and Lord Platinum. In all actuality if you performed a true blind test on me, there would be very few blades(Tiger Platinum and BIC CP comes to mind), of all that I have tested, that I would be able to differentiate. Tiger Platinum was just not sharp and BIC CP was the sharpest. Maybe I am just dense, but I cannot tell the difference.

Do not know about racer since I have not tried them, but Lord Platinum, ASCO, Big Ben, Lord Cool, Shark Platinum all feel very similar to me. Sure the coatings are a bit different, but I really cannot tell any difference between them. They all work just fine for me for a full week's worth (~6 shaves) of comfortable, close shaves and they all could probably go for a few more shaves than that. I have used full tucks of ASCO, Big Ben, Lord Cool and only a couple of the Shark Platinum and Lord Platinum. In all actuality if you performed a true blind test on me, there would be very few blades(Tiger Platinum and BIC CP comes to mind), of all that I have tested, that I would be able to differentiate. Tiger Platinum was just not sharp and BIC CP was the sharpest. Maybe I am just dense, but I cannot tell the difference.

I can tell blades apart. To me there's a marked difference in feel between something like the Gillette family compared to all the Lords I have tried. This doesn't mean the Lords are bad. They are just different and this means some people will prefer one or the other.

I can also tell the difference between models in the same family to a degree, and some are markedly different when coatings and sharpening are accounted for. Like the Cool and the Shark Super Chrome. There's a big range of sensation for me when using one and then the other. And the ASCOs. I can only speak for myself, but yeah I have a clear preference. I don't know that I could identify 'yeah, that's the Silver Star' in a blind test, but I think some could, and I am sure I could tell you that I like this one better than the other and this is why.

But vive la difference! I accept that a lot of this is subjective and depends on our skin and hair types as well as shaving frequency and probably other factors I am not mentioning.

Last edited:
Everything about the world of wet shaving is beautiful precisely because the experiences are different,everyone has their own sensibility, perception and experience or different approach and it is precisely the comparison that makes it possible to mature new possibilities and ideas.

The fact remains that in a blind test not even an experienced user ,who has tried so many different blades, would be able to tell and recognize that for example an Elios blade or a Bolzano Superinox are always produced by the same Egyptian Lord, without first reading it on the package.

Fortunately,some razor blade companies and private labels indicate on the packaging who the manufacturer is.
Many others do not, this is the case for example with Fatip blades, but still others don't do this.
Let's face it if private labels did not state the name of the manufacturer or the country of origin,in a blind test,many of us ,even if experienced,would assume that they are made in China when in fact they are made in Egypt,Turkey or Bangladesh.

It is better for private companies or the blade manufacturing players themselves not to provide too much information, details and differences between blades in order to make a profit or not to benefit the competition.
So in the end everyone is left with different ideas it is their perception that matters most.
That's fine with me, otherwise after a while I would get bored, stop comparing blades and after so many years I would tone to the multiblade. :yikes:

Last edited:
The Racer blade is a super stainless, reading here in the forum I didn't understand if there was a discontinued platinum coated version or is there still and are they two different types of the same blade?

Do you guys know anything more about it?
I mention myself to point out that after years of wet shaving only today do I realize that of the Racer blades there is both the super stainless and the Racer super class platinum.

It is amazing how many different types the Egyptian manufacturer has in its catalog.

lasta

Blade Biter
Joining you guys a bit late, I just finished my first shave with the Lord Cool.

First of all, I'm in the camp that believes us users are able to discern minute but consistent qualities in a blade. But I also believe that there are a lot of rebranded blades trickling down the distribution chain.

The Lord Cools are about as generic as they get! Even the blade itself is just labelled "Lord".

I find these very similar to the other ones I tried from this maker (Platinum/Silver Star/Racer).

But...maybe this is psychological, ever since I stopped daily shaving, I'm noticing more and more white hairs. These patches are harder to cut than before I noticed them...

So, these Lords are sharp enough and smooth enough, but only just enough. Achievable, but quite a bit more work to get me to BBS than usual.

3.5/5 for both perceived sharpness and smoothness.
20240412_045702.jpg

Date11.04.2024
366 daily shaves
103/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Tech postwarLord Cool (5)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (85)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8/10
(DFS+)
7.5/10 (Comfortably smooth)

Notes:

Summary. On a Tech streak this week and this brings out the post war for a splendid Friday shave.

For extended shave notes click here.

Razor and blade. Five shaves in this blade has potential I must say, but there is this lingering for something more. Surprisingly enough it felt less harsh today. And the razor is basically the same with minor variations, so interesting experience.

Enjoy your shave!

The Lord Cools are about as generic as they get! Even the blade itself is just labelled "Lord".
The Lord Cool I have not tried them, not yet at the moment.

However when I saw what one of these Lord Cool razor blades looked like out of the wrapper that was exactly the first thing I thought of.

Very simple and minimal, I expected the engraving written Lord Cool on the blade as well.

I believe it is the only Lord production that does not have the engraving of the razor blade name on it other than a generic "Super Stainless Lord" but I could be wrong.

Thanks for sharing your evaluation as well.

Ahh - Bella Italia! Some of the best shaving software and hardware comes out of Italy. I love it! And let me know if you can find it - happy to help out if needed.

Cheers,

Guido
Hi Guido, I asked my supplier and he did not find De Verghulde Hand eucalyptus.

However I inquired and on the net,in Italy in the distribution channels it is present.
Maybe the other Dutch shaving soaps are a bit harder to find locally, I will inquire.

The DVH original deserves just for the crazy fragrance, in my opinion it far surpasses even more expensive and emblazoned soaps.

And the ease of assembly as well as the protection are very good for me.

Shave #3 - Lord Cool
Razor: Rimei 3-piece
Soap: Arko Frankensoap; Barbasol

I tried the Cool in an aggressive razor, the feared and despised Rimei, because I spent more effort than preferred yesterday in the Gillette Tech. I used the same edge I have been for this entire week, and the Cool might be slowing down. There's a few areas of whiskers that remain stubbornly standing, and I couldn't get rid of them with the first pass and even on touch up. I ended up knocking them down with a disposable orange Bic I keep around for this purpose. It's pretty nimble and works well for detailing on my face. It's weird... like the BIC can keep the whisker standing, so it will trim, but the Cool bends the hair without cutting it.

So three shaves an edge with the Lord Cool? If I use this blade again, I would rotate to the next edge. This seems less durable than the Sharp Titanium, but I had one great shave, one very good shave, and one OK one so far with it. I know a lot of people would be happy with the one great shave and would just call it one-and-done and given the low cost of the Lord Cool, why not?

I have some tight skin feeling on my face. Not exactly razor burn, but it's not comfortable. I wonder should I blame the Rimei, the dulling Lord Cool, or both?

Last edited:
Which version of the Rimei razor did you use?

Courage, it is not an aggressive razor but rather mild imho.

Why do you fear and despise it in this forum?

The A2001. I find it aggressive myself, not quite like the Yaqi Knight Helmet but certainly up there compared to my Gillette Tech or Super Speed.

I'm joking mostly. I like the razor for what it is, paired with razor blades known for smoothness.

Shave 3 on the Lord Cool
1000005478.jpg

Another comfy shave! Right after the shave I would say it was BBS, but after about 2 hours there was ATG stubble in my trouble spots. I think I like this blade because it seems really smooth to me even on 2 days growth for the 3rd use.

I was reading the discussion about Lord blades of the same family. Of the 3 Stainless we've tried so far I would rank, them Cool, Racer then Asco. Unlike @blethenstrom I did notice a big difference with the Ascos. Maybe I got a bum tuck?

Shave 3 on the Lord Cool

I was reading the discussion about Lord blades of the same family. Of the 3 Stainless we've tried so far I would rank, them Cool, Racer then Asco. Unlike @blethenstrom I did notice a big difference with the Ascos. Maybe I got a bum tuck?
That would be my ranking too. If we just did an all-combined ranking, mine would be Cool, Shark Super Chrome, Racer, and then ASCO.

The Silver Star will be interesting. Most people on B&B have it as their top Lord.

Top Bottom