What's new

Bad news particularly for single B&Bers

Here in Puerto Rico, the beard trend has skyrocketed during the past few years. I have switched to having a neatly trimmed beard (for about a year now) since my wife literally begged me to grow a beard, as she understands is very sexy. Nonetheless, I trim my beard every single day. This way I get the best of both worlds (happy wife (and other women) and I get to shave everyday with my soaps and DE razors. Furthermore, What am shaving is mostly the neck, which is the most troubled spot for most. That really helps with technique , I believe.

Milady likes 24-48 hours stub to rub on. No shaving, no stub. She's pretty well satisfied with 24/48 shifts, and both of us enjoy the game.

I usually get told by men and women that I look older with a beard. I've asked female coworkers if they like beards but they'll just say it's up to the guy and that it's hard to maintain. I usually shave off the beard but on occasion I don't shave for like 7 days or so.

A recent talk show did a program on beards and the 2 day growth so popular with todays younger men. The consensus was it was fine before they married, afterwhich they wanted their men clean shaven, well groomed and squeaky clean.

In most business environments, part of being professional is acting professional. Part of acting professional is appearing professional. Whether it's a beard, mustache, or clean shaven face, you should be neatly trimmed and well groomed. Regardless of social fads, political properness or social correctness, if you look like a dirtbag, people will think you're a dirtbag until proven otherwise. It's the old "if you look like a duck" axiom.

We're together for 24 years next year. My wife likes a cleanly shaven face, and I do not care what is fashionable today.

A recent talk show did a program on beards and the 2 day growth so popular with todays younger men. The consensus was it was fine before they married, afterwhich they wanted their men clean shaven, well groomed and squeaky clean.

In most business environments, part of being professional is acting professional. Part of acting professional is appearing professional. Whether it's a beard, mustache, or clean shaven face, you should be neatly trimmed and well groomed. Regardless of social fads, political properness or social correctness, if you look like a dirtbag, people will think you're a dirtbag until proven otherwise. It's the old "if you look like a duck" axiom.

Well said and I work in an office environment in which clean shaved is preferred

I've noticed in a lot of Latin soap operas that many of the men have beards or they have that scruffy look

Clean-shaven = professional is an old school mindset. The old ways aren't the best ways in all things. Plenty of clean-shaven men in impeccable suits are crooks and weasels. Plenty of men with beards and sneakers are true professionals with integrity.

I've never been one to shave every day. In fact, I literally don't think I've ever shave two days in a row, and I'm 33 years old. When my wife and I first met, I had a... what do you call it?.. a soul patch on just my chin and sideburns of fluctuating length.

Since first meeting in 2003 (I think it was), I've gone clean-shaven for a short while twice and tried growing a full beard once. What I have now is a normal goatee, although my growth pattern is such that my moustache and beard portions don't quite meet. And that is what my wife (she's my wife, not my SWMBO) prefers. She really didn't like the full beard experiment but tolerated it because she's my wife. And when I toy with the idea of going clean-shaven, she tells me she doesn't like that as well.

But she also prefers my goatee to be nice and neat and not very long. If my moustache gets too long, it scratches her when we kiss and starts to look shabby. The rest of my face she likes in whatever stubble state it happens to be in: she enjoys the feel of a good, close shave with the DE; she likes the look of a one- to two-day shadow; after five days of growth or so, the stubble becomes soft enough to not scratch her face, but I never let it go that long anymore, and doing so doesn't look good with a goatee anyway.

@onethinline wrote about wondering if he would still be attractive or "in the club" based on his shaving practice. I think that belies an insecurity about oneself that others will be turned off by more than any stubble or lack thereof. What ladies worth finding (and maybe gay men too, I have no idea) are attracted to is a man who is confident but not cocky, humble but not a doormat. Work on that and shave however the heck you want, just as long as it fits your face and the identity you want to portray to others.

So true -- a lesson for me personally to always remember -- and probably the best take-away from this whole discussion, in the end. Cheers!

Best of both worlds - I have a Van Dyke beard which I've had since '94. Clean shaven cheeks, hairy chin and moustache - my wife loves it and that's all that matters :)

That's what it's called! I have a Van Dyke, not just a goatee. Used to have a goatee, not just a soul patch.

Who the heck came up with this stuff, anyway. Let's just number them. I have a type 2-B Trim.

I'm 70 and beeb married 42 years. I have shaved almost every day since I was in college in the 60's. (the ony exception was in Vietnam whle n the field) My wife wll make comments if I don't shave on a daily basis. She prefers completely clean shaven. Besides, I enjoy the routne.

Top Bottom