What's new

Bad news particularly for single B&Bers

If its true (which I believe it is, to an extent) it's only because women have been looking at scruffy, poorly shaven models and celebrities for a long time now. Naturally, a high number of men try to emulate this look because it's the new "in" look. And why not be scruffy when shaving has been a godforsaken nightmare for decades now? It's fine. They dunno what they're missing. The beard fad will die eventually and refined grooming will again have its time in the sun.

Yaser, you're in your teens. Remember all this. By the time you're hovering in college age I bet people in your age group will be flocking to be clean shaven, and perhaps even getting into wet shaving... and you'll be able to brag about being early to the party. These cycles happen all the time.

Well I honestly dont care. Just sayin... The Relationship department will not be discussed on Badger & Blade. (At least mine)

If its true (which I believe it is, to an extent) it's only because women have been looking at scruffy, poorly shaven models and celebrities for a long time now. Naturally, a high number of men try to emulate this look because it's the new "in" look. And why not be scruffy when shaving has been a godforsaken nightmare for decades now? It's fine. They dunno what they're missing. The beard fad will die eventually and refined grooming will again have its time in the sun.

Yaser, you're in your teens. Remember all this. By the time you're hovering in college age I bet people in your age group will be flocking to be clean shaven, and perhaps even getting into wet shaving... and you'll be able to brag about being early to the party. These cycles happen all the time.

that'd really nice to see, people going back to tried and true methods

I wore a beard for the past ten years, for the entire time I have been with my wonderful S.O. of seven years. I shaved my beard off three weeks ago and she loves it. I had never felt the skin of my cheek against hers, it's quite pleasant actually. :)

We had Thanksgiving with her family today, all of whom have known me only with a beard, and the response was overwhelmingly positive, especially from those in her family of the female persuasion. My cheeks were probably red with embarrassment, they talked about my clean shaven face that much. I don't like to be the subject of discussion, I'm usually a fairly reserved kind of guy, but it really made me feel good about the decision to shave my beard. (It was like an old friend, we had seen a lot together. haha)

Plus, my mother likes it and my wonderful little grandma told me that I look "like a proper gentleman." That's more than enough reason for me to keep it clean.

Trends come, trends go, but a clean shaven face is a classic look and there will always be ladies who appreciate a guy that puts in the effort to look sharp.

I still miss my big burly mountain man beard a little bit, but I doubt I'll ever grow it back.

Last edited:
I don't really want anyone else in my life that has a problem if I'm clean cut. I've already been down that trend following path with my ex wife.

Besides I'm darned pretty and not ashamed of it. You don't need a beard to pick up women. Just shop at the nicer grocery stores. Stay away from the ones buying kale though.

People that follow the fashion-of-the-day are not that interesting anyway. People who do their own thinking are better company.

I think concentrating on acute parts of presentation is a mistake. As long as you're clean and tidy it's the way you conduct yourself that matters a whole lot more.

Haha. Three things come immediately to mind:

1. Not so long ago, facial hair/heavy growth on guys was unfashionable; and I suspect it will become unfashionable again, sooner or later. Being clean shaven will never be outright unfashionable or met with derision (which only a coupke of years ago, young guys sporting beards were)!

2. Much depends on the man in question, and the context. Some of the girls who say they like beards etc. will often be thinking of A-list actors and models, with terrific facial hair, appearing in various edited and stylised media. That doesn't mean that they would think the patchy-haired guy who sits in the cubicle next to them in the office, who they have to look at day in, day out, will be more attractive with a beard or heavy stubble. I simply can't grow a full, consistent beard, and would struggle to look suitably professional in my office, let alone more attractive, with any sort of facial hair!

3. It's obviously subjective. Personally, I don't know many girls who genuinely like facial hair. Even those who claim to like the look of beards and stubble often complain about the feel of it when their other halves try it out.

So, my thinking is, keep on shaving if you want to!

Top Bottom