What's new

Bad news particularly for single B&Bers

I can only speak from the experience of what my wife likes, but one thing she likes is actually a change of face. She likes the movember stache but then she likes it when I shave it off. She likes when I have a few days growth and then when I'm nice and smooth again.

Maybe it's just switching it up and keeping them on their toes.

I think it all started with Don Johnson back in 1984. I remember thinking "why do the women like him- he hasn't even shaved!"
there will always be a large segment that appreciates a we'll groomed man.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 140
It honestly does not matter at all. Rock a beard or go clean shaven. As long as you're cool with it, the rest will fall into place.

Personally I don't really care what people think of my outward appearance unless it's important for some reason like an interview or to a lesser degree a SWMBO:
$epbfk.jpg

I like to look good because I like it, not to make impressions on other people. Other days like shave skip days, looking good might come in at 2nd place to something else like if I'm doing a lot of welding in the garage then I'm not exactly worried about my appearance if I'm going to get all grubby anyway.

+1 here! I'm the only male amongst 5 others in my department that doesn't have a beard. And I honestly can grow the best one. I choose not to just to buck the trend. Plus, while I am a young(ish) guy, a clean shave still looks 100x more professional.
And although I'm married now, the ladies have enjoyed me either way!

Here's some evidence to the contrary:

"When beards become too popular, they are actually less attractive to people, according to science"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ew-study-says-we-may-have-reached-peak-beard/

TL:DR; If you're the clean shaven guy in a group of "normal" bearded guys, you'll be the one to stand out.

I did the perma-stubble stuff when I was younger, and the full beard thing for many years. However, in 2014 most women have never experienced a clean shaven man whose face wasn't abused by trying to stretch an extortionistic priced cartridge, or it's alternative a cheap, throw-away disposable razor.

There experience if a clean shaven man is razor bumps, ingrown hairs and missed rough spots, small wonder that they prefer perma-stubble. Imagine how surprised they will be the first time they encounter a truly smooth male cheek is soft, moisturized and smells good? Imagine further how surprised they will be when they find out that great male face uses techniques and tools that their grandfather's used.

It's a win/win!

Simple solution to attract women... The number of women I have attracted by telling them about my "hobby" is amazing. Then when the offer is put on the table to shave them, they eat it up. You have then won clean shaven or not. Forget the article find was to eliminate the obstacles placed in front of you. Not only in date this holds true in life.

My daughters like beards, and when I forgot my razor last year on a camping trip and dallied with the beard, they thought it was great.

I thought it gave me the look of a distinguished mature gent. It was considerably more grey than the hair on my head. I guess the girls were good with that, as it is obvious to them that I am old.

The wife however prefers the illusion of a younger man. And so I became happily beardfree once more!

My little girl (two at the time) looked at me newly beardless and said, "Papa, you're not a man anymore."

9 of 10 ladies go for attitude. Girls I don't care for, women maybe, but it's a ladies opinion I value. And for the face? Well in the end that's my decision, like it or leave it.

Interesting to read this as a DE newbie with a gay man's perspective. This past week I treated myself to a professional barber shave in which I got rid of the short beard I'd been wearing for about eight years! I'm still getting used to how I look without it, but I'm getting some good votes of approval from friends, which is definitely encouraging.

But what I wanted to add was my perspective here, because I'm a guy who likes guys, and I very often like bearded guys! (Not exclusively at all, mind you.) There's a bit of a thing among gay men right now to be into beards and to grow one, and to be honest the past few days being clean shaven I've had doubts that amount to: am I now out of the club? Will a bearded guy like me without a beard? Will I now attract a different segment of men?

Sounds silly because fundamentally one shouldn't worry about these things, and just be confident. But the doubt does come up. For now, I'm going to stick with the clean-shaven look to give it a chance, and because I'm really enjoying the DE experience and it's even better applied to my whole face! The votes from my friends help too. We'll just see whose eyes I catch now going forward.

I did the perma-stubble stuff when I was younger, and the full beard thing for many years. However, in 2014 most women have never experienced a clean shaven man whose face wasn't abused by trying to stretch an extortionistic priced cartridge, or it's alternative a cheap, throw-away disposable razor.

There experience if a clean shaven man is razor bumps, ingrown hairs and missed rough spots, small wonder that they prefer perma-stubble. Imagine how surprised they will be the first time they encounter a truly smooth male cheek is soft, moisturized and smells good? Imagine further how surprised they will be when they find out that great male face uses techniques and tools that their grandfather's used.

It's a win/win!

True true. I've been thinking of using that one now for a while, I've been getting compliment after compliment about how I look when I'm clean shaven and while i don't normally like a lot of attention I gotta say I'm liking the positive attention. :laugh:

If its true (which I believe it is, to an extent) it's only because women have been looking at scruffy, poorly shaven models and celebrities for a long time now. Naturally, a high number of men try to emulate this look because it's the new "in" look. And why not be scruffy when shaving has been a godforsaken nightmare for decades now? It's fine. They dunno what they're missing. The beard fad will die eventually and refined grooming will again have its time in the sun.

Yaser, you're in your teens. Remember all this. By the time you're hovering in college age I bet people in your age group will be flocking to be clean shaven, and perhaps even getting into wet shaving... and you'll be able to brag about being early to the party. These cycles happen all the time.

100% agree. Remember when the mullet was in style?

I've been married two years even before then I still shaved I think everybody has their own preferences but I really don't worry about the trends I just do what I want.

I've heard both. I've talked to girls who hate any kind of facial hair, and others that like scruffy guys. I think most girls dislike full blown beards.

The problem I have is I like to be clean shaven, but I have one of those baby faces. I look my best with that 2-3 days growth.

All very interesting comments. Not that we are exactly neutral but hey, we already knew we are not "average" people.

While I have nearly always skipped a shave on Saturday mornings, and these days, may not have anywhere to go for a couple of days, allowing me to slack off, I don't think anyone looks better unshaven, even when the whiskers are all totally white now, as mine are. I was never one to follow trends, once I was out of adolescense, and that has not changed

Top Bottom