What's new

Back to cartridge experience

Next weekend I'm taking a short 4 day trip and flying. Since its a short trip I'm not checking a bag just using a carry on since it costs 30 bucks to check a bag each way.

So since I can't take DE blades on the flight I'm stuck with using a cart. Haven't done that in years. Yesterday I bought a few disposable carts. I tried one today to prep. Truly a horrendous experience. Just not nearly as smooth, close or enjoyable as even my worst DE. It felt like I was shaving with a toy compared to the solid tool like feel of a DE.

I realize a better cart like a mach III would have probably been a little better but....

I sure wish I had some way of getting DE blades at the hotel I'm staying at. Oh well. Just 4 days i guess. It has definitely made me appreciate my DE razors that I probably take for granted now.

I just mail myself DE blades c/o hotel ("hold for arrival September 15" on the envelope) and then pack Personna trac II equivalent and the appropriate handle as backup, and also, of course, pack a DE in the expectation that they will hand me the envelope when I check in. You can pack the blades pretty well and the postage is still a lot less than 30 bucks.

Hope that helps.

Lately, when I travel and don't check bags I simply look for a drug store, pharmacy, or grocery store near the hotel I am staying at and have always found DE blades there. In the past, I had always sent blades to my hotel.

Barbaric.

Carts are the equivalent of blasters. Safety razors, however: This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.

I appreciate the ideas. I think I'll take my DE and hope I can find a place that sells them. I might try the mailing idea? I would just need one blade.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, I use those Bic Metals when I travel. They are acceptable, but have their own learning curve.

AA

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Probably too late now but get yourself the Gillette Guard for when a DE isn’t an option. Problem solved.

I really thought about the guard. But you are right i don't have time to get one here.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would just look for blades where you are staying, should be able to pick up a tuck from some shop, or pharmacy.

It happen to me in the past that I had to due a unplanned trip so I didn’t had time to bring any shaving kit whit me, so I bought the single blades Bic shavers, a cheap Wilkinson brush and a tube of Nivea shaving cream. To my surprise the shave wasn’t to bad, don’t get me wrong it was not comparable to a DE but at least I had no irritations probably due to the fact it’s a single blade shaver.

I was in the same situation one month ago and I solved it by finding online a local shaving supplier and made an order from them having it delivered there were I would stay the first night.

When it comes to cartridges, Gillette Guard are actually really good. It is the only cartridge I consider worthy to have at home for times when DE will not be possible.

A Mach 3 Turbo can give a fantastic shave. Avoid the 10 for a dollar disposable razors. They suck.

I’d have to totally agree here Mach 3s are very good just so expensive for the carts. I keep a Gillette Sensor Excel in the den for days when time is at a minimum. I will always have a special place in my heart for this razor.

I have had TSA take my bags apart looking for ‘weapons’ when I packed a DE (with no blade). Once, I had to ask for a supervisor in order to keep my razor. So, mailing blades is an option, but it can still be a hassle!

If you bought disposables, as opposed to a cartridge, I can appreciate the butchery you experienced. I did that a few years back on vacation, went to the local store and bought a 3 pack of some multi-blade disposable they had along with some shave gel. (I'd forgotten to pack a razor, which was my bad). Came out of the bathroom, face red, a few visible nicks/cuts and my wife was like, what happened honey. - Just tossed the the entire pack of razors in the trash.

Back in June we went to Canada and my wife had given me a Harry's to try. Quite frankly, not a horrible shave. Sure it wasn't quite as close as some of my DEs leave my face, and it doesn't have the same glide as most DEs, but the was comfortable, with no irritation or nicks. (I was using a small travel brush with Proraso Green cream). The other nice thing was the Harry's razor didn't constantly clog, and was open on the back side, making the rinse easy.

If you need a cart to travel, the Harry's isn't half bad and won't eat your face. I'd still bring a small container of real shave cream or soap and a brush, as the canned goop isn't particularly good. - I've also tried the Harry's canned shave gel, it's 'ok' but nowhere near as slick as a decent soap or cream.

I have had TSA take my bags apart looking for ‘weapons’ when I packed a DE (with no blade). Once, I had to ask for a supervisor in order to keep my razor. So, mailing blades is an option, but it can still be a hassle!

Ugh. That's not good. I may not take a de at all then. Getting through TSA is enough hassle without worrying about that.

Cyber I would try the Harrys razor if I flew very often. But I don't so it's probably not worth the $$. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I keep a Gillette Guard and extra cartridges around for such trips/travel. Has worked great on domestic and international travel with no issues at TSA.

I have had TSA take my bags apart looking for ‘weapons’ when I packed a DE (with no blade).
Yes, I had a similar experience. I now pack a three piece razor in two Saran-wrapped pieces, handle in one, cap and baseplate in the other. I have no idea what it shows up as on the X-ray, but so far no hassles.

Top Bottom