What's new

Back to cartridge experience

Started DE shaving after walking into Trumpers on Curzon Street as a youngster in 1991. Own a Wolfman .74, Charcoal Goods L2, Blackbird but my favorite razors by far are the Karve C/D and Timeless Ti .95 SB.

I list the above because I was back home in Ireland for almost a month in August and exclusively used the Gillette Fusion and Mach 3. I often mix them in.

With proper wet shaving prep the Fusion/M3 are fantastic and easily the equal or better than all my DE razors listed above. Wonderful tools.

I ended up bringing a double edged disposable razor. Horrible shave. Went to a dollar general store and found some single edge disposables for a buck. Similar to Bic disposables. MUCH better. But I'm not trading my DE razors anytime soon!

I have had TSA take my bags apart looking for ‘weapons’ when I packed a DE (with no blade).

Ugh. That's not good. I may not take a de at all then. Getting through TSA is enough hassle without worrying about that.

Yes, I had a similar experience. I now pack a three piece razor in two Saran-wrapped pieces, handle in one, cap and baseplate in the other. I have no idea what it shows up as on the X-ray, but so far no hassles.

And it's for these reasons why I will always keep at least one of my Bakelite DEs.

Currently, I have the Merkur 45C and PAA BOCS. The PAA is more efficient, but the 45C is more comfortable. Both are relatively cheap, but they're becoming harder to find.

The PAA Alpha Ecliptic is also available, but I've not used it.

That's a great idea regarding the bakelite DE. I forgot all about those. If I'd had one i could have flown with it and purchased a few DE blades hrer.

That's a great idea regarding the bakelite DE. I forgot all about those. If I'd had one i could have flown with it and purchased a few DE blades hrer.
Forgot to mention the Dorco PL602 2 piece plastic razor. I found one for $1.99 awhile back and did a review of it. It was listed under a different name (Magic BRDO), but it is actually a pretty good shaver.

Tried the same thing when traveling, but with Sensor’s. Not changing back to carts any time soon-had to do 5 passes. Not sure how i used them before.

I bought a Fusion a couple of weeks ago, out of curiosity. I hadn't used a cartridge or disposable razor for 4-5 years and the latest incarnation I tried before starting to use DE razors was a Mach 3 I think. So, I was interested to see what the latest (although it's quite a few years old now) development was like. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I went the whole hog and used Gillette Fusion cooling gel as well, and it was a smooth, close shave.

However....although it was smooth and surprisingly close, I can't say that the sensation of 5 blades dragging across my face was particularly pleasant and I don't think I'd be in a hurry to start using one on a regular basis. I did think I might use it as a travel razor but unless I'm flying I think I'd rather take a Tech with me or something else that is easy to replace. I enjoy using brushes and soap, and I enjoy the challenge of shaving with a DE razor. I can get closer results for less effort if using a razor like the R41 and it's a much nicer experience all round for me.

Barbaric.

Carts are the equivalent of blasters. Safety razors, however: This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
Post of the week!!!!!

To echo @cyberdog, I also use a Harry's when I travel. Gives a satisfactory shave, certainly better than the disposable carts.

I take an empty DE razor and buy blades on arrival. My backup plan is to take a Gillette Guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom