What's new

Back Roads Gold Review

Inspired by this and other threads extolling the virtues of Chris at Back Roads Gold, I cautiously sent him my beloved British Hybrid Tech to re-plate. The rhodium was in bad shape and some pitting existed on the top cap.

Within two days of receiving the razor, Chris had emailed me and offered not only to replate the razor in rhodium (I only asked for nickel) but he also offered to give me two additional topcaps — one with the center crease and one without — all in rhodium for no additional fee!

I am absolutely floored by the quality of Chris’ work and professionalism. I just wish I had sent him some of the other vintage razors I’ve had over the years. I cannot recommend Chris and Back Roads Gold highly enough.
Beautiful Razor! BRG does amazing work with razors.

Thank you, my friend! I’m a believer in Chris’ work for sure.
While I never used BRG personally, I had purchased a British Aristocrat from @NoScrubs that he had the plating redone at BRG and that razor was immaculate. Great work is easy to recognize.

crat2.jpg

crat3.jpg

crat4.jpg

+1 for Back Roads Gold. Had 8 razors serviced by them: 3 replates and rest were polish/clean and he has done outstanding job. He also thew in some extra stuff like Gillette Silver Blue blade packs and Shannon's Soap sample (Barbershop) for free. For the second order he threw in cleaning/polishing for one of the razors for free. When I compared the price with competitors it was a no brainer, BRG charge wayy less, the cheapest service for quality work.

Since they are a small business and hardly had any reviews on youtube I decided to review their service. Here's two rounds of razors I sent in for servicing:

Inspired by this and other threads extolling the virtues of Chris at Back Roads Gold, I cautiously sent him my beloved British Hybrid Tech to re-plate. The rhodium was in bad shape and some pitting existed on the top cap.

Within two days of receiving the razor, Chris had emailed me and offered not only to replate the razor in rhodium (I only asked for nickel) but he also offered to give me two additional topcaps — one with the center crease and one without — all in rhodium for no additional fee!

I am absolutely floored by the quality of Chris’ work and professionalism. I just wish I had sent him some of the other vintage razors I’ve had over the years. I cannot recommend Chris and Back Roads Gold highly enough.
Just curious, since rhodium has not been offered since late 2020, did you just buy the solution and have it sent to him?

I've given up getting expensive pristine examples of razors for my shave rotation. There is so much satisfaction in sending in an old cruddy cheap razor to Chris and getting it returned in like-new condition.
I just mailed a box of caps, bottom plates and handle parts that look like compete junk. When returned, and assembled, the razors will all look like works of art.

This Old Type looked like absolute cruddy trash. It was corroded and the handle was split. I was able to fix the handle and after replating it all looks like the day it was made, over 100 years ago.
It is really satisfying to have brought it back from the dead, and with care, it will last to provide fine shaves for another 100 years.
Nickel Old Type.jpg

Soon I'll have one matching, but in 24K Gold - parts are in that box on the way to Backroads Gold now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom