• Shave Soaps

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • Shave Creams

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I'm Switzerland I use and like both equally

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am by far a soap guy. Other than Proraso I have not been very impressed by creams. (The new Proraso single blade stuff is incredible). The ONE feature I do enjoy in creams is the relative intensity of scent, most creams I've used have a stronger scent than the soap counterpart.

All in all I would say I'm Fifty-fifty, I use soap half the time and I don't use creams the other half.

Creams are for newbs who haven't figured out how to lather soaps yet. Creams are like training wheels for wet shavers. All true traditionalists have graduated to Soaps!

Soaps have better scents, better face feel, and give better shaves. Yeah, it might take a little longer to lather.... but it's worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree to this and also want to add that creams are for those that allow themselves the time, and really not too much more, to make a descent lather with soap. My wife is a prime example. She sets her alarm to get her up with 30 to 35 minutes to get up and ready and eat before she has to be in the car heading to work on time.

I agree to this and also want to add that creams are for those that allow themselves the time, and really not too much more, to make a descent lather with soap. My wife is a prime example. She sets her alarm to get her up with 30 to 35 minutes to get up and ready and eat before she has to be in the car heading to work on time.
I don't disagree. Although I will say, there are a few very good soaps that when paired with the right brush and proper prep just burst into lather. I'm thinking Saponificio Verasino, bloomed with a light layer of water and lathered with the SV artisan 2.0...instant perfection. I bloom while in the shower but I suspect the total amount of time needed would be no more than it takes to brush your teeth.

How so? I've never had a soap lose scent. I have some soaps that have been in my den for seven years. No scent loss at all.

Razorock XX - bought in Spring, used twice, smelled nice, sealed shut in tub. Opened in late fall - scent non existent.
Others I've had have definitely had a lessening over time, though I haven't had any soaps or creams for 7 years.
I do have old Coates tubes that have varying amounts of scent left, though I do not know how old they are. Pre 2008?

Razorock XX - bought in Spring, used twice, smelled nice, sealed shut in tub. Opened in late fall - scent non existent.
Others I've had have definitely had a lessening over time, though I haven't had any soaps or creams for 7 years.
I do have old Coates tubes that have varying amounts of scent left, though I do not know how old they are. Pre 2008?

Weird. I just opened an original tub of XXX that I bought in 2010, halfway gone, still smells like new. Just sample a bunch of other tubs that I've had that long and all still smell great. I have so much soap, no individual soap ever gets used up. Time has never been a factor to them.

This was an awesome show! My favorite so far. @skypsyd @cvargo @Smattayu Great job done by all!

I do have one creme that is an excellent performer. It is Captains Choice 45th parallel.
Other than that one, the cremes I have tried just don't deliver as well. Soaps are where I am staying.

And I agree with @Haggises
Michelle Has nailed it, and Mystic Waters is my top product. Slickness, ease of lathering, protection, post shave feel, and scent, are all there and all exceptional. There are a good handful that are close, but none that can beat her out of my all time top soap. Not even MDC.

And I agree with @Haggises
Michelle Has nailed it, and Mystic Waters is my top product. Slickness, ease of lathering, protection, post shave feel, and scent, are all there and all exceptional. There are a good handful that are close, but none that can beat her out of my all time top soap. Not even MDC.

+100!

Creams are for newbs who haven't figured out how to lather soaps yet. Creams are like training wheels for wet shavers. All true traditionalists have graduated to Soaps!

Soaps have better scents, better face feel, and give better shaves. Yeah, it might take a little longer to lather.... but it's worth it!

Lol. +1

The safety razor of the month is the new....... the new what? :001_tongu

I'll play the home version of the soap-v-cream debate game.....

Why should I use shave creams instead of shave soaps?
- Because you're young and foolish and don't know any better. You probably also think Taco Bell is real Mexican food.

What are the benefits of using shave soap as opposed to shave cream?
- It's soap and not cream, duh! Plus you can huck it at home invaders to drive them away. Getting hit in the head with a triple milled puck sure hurts a lot more than getting *sploop*d with a dollop of cream. Beyond the issue of personal safety, no traveler has ever ever complained that the puck of soap in their luggage has ever exploded and made a mess of everything.

Why are creams easier to use and more economical than soaps?
- Bwaaahahahahhaaaa. See answer to question-1, you silly boy.

Conclusion: Me likey soaps. ....... and you should too. :thumbsup:
True...but if you have the cream in can then u can do some damage. ..lol

hmmmmmmmmm......

I used to think creams were for people who were not as gud as me at spelling and lathering.

But then I spent the last 6 months using good, not so good and great creams. I'd put the lather of the great (AoS, Castle Forbes) in the same ballpark as some great soaps, and ahead of many.
My gold standard soap is Mystic Water. Nothing else matches, but some come close.

Soaps lose their scent over a much faster period than a cream.
Creams lather easily (Casswell Massey excepted)
Many soaps and creams fail to live up to their scent expectations (e.g. Razorock XX soap, GFT cream)
Creams lather more quickly - but only by about 30 seconds to a minute depending on the soap.
MW Michelle doesn't make creams
Creams can separate in the tube if stored badly.
Soaps can be more cost effective compared to DRH or Trumpers.
Creams can be more cost effective if you're happy with Proraso, La Toja, Derby, Arko and a bazillion others.

I don't think I'm quite Switzerland - if I could have only one it would be soap. But I will happily and gladly use both.
Thank you. ...I agree

Poll Added, please vote
I see creams is kicking arse

Top Bottom