• Shave Soaps

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • Shave Creams

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I'm Switzerland I use and like both equally

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well Mr. Fiddy, I only ever tried one cream, and I was extremely underwhelmed. Now to be fair, I could probably have played around with it to dial it in, but I just have had no desire. I got the cream in order to place in a travel kit thinking it would be easier. But I now have a deodorant dispenser with soap in it that works perfectly fine while I am on travel. I do not doubt that there are excellent creams out there. I just have never had the desire to seek out the performer creams.

Soaps rule and creams drool.

Last edited:
I voted creams, although the only soap i have tried is Proraso croap. My vote is based on extensive google search of a gazillion similar past topics, where the soap camp, the only truly indisputable advantage that they can present, is that soaps "can be stored forever". But this has more to do with SCAD, rather than with the merits of the products.

* Creams:
- Being sealed, preserves them better during use. This also leads to stronger scent.
- I don't believe that they lather worse. I believe that every product has its sweet point and creams certainly lather differently, having more water. As a matter of fact, i read the opposite. That very hard water can be almost prohibitive for soaps. As someone with very hard water (i have distilled in house), i can't possibly ignore that.
- Are much cheaper. There is what seems an urban legend, that soaps "last forever" and triple milled "last for even longer". This is a myth debunked here:

Shaving soaps and the cost per shave- Data mined from the 3017 thread.

It appears, that 1-2g per shave for soaps is a normal amount, while 2ml per shave is plenty for creams. I actually suspect that creams are more in the 1,6ml per shave territory. Considering that in Europe, one can find most mass production creams for less than 5 euros, not to mention about 1kg of Vitos for like 9 EUR or 1kg of Cella for like 20 EUR there is no competition with soaps.
- Lather much quicker.

The only advantage i see for soaps is against the same brand's creams and the storage for 40 years.

Last edited:
I know that when I do use a cream, I'm pretty heavy handed and in turn the cost per shave is higher (which I don't care about), and the tube or tub does not last nearly as long as a comparable soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like many others here, I swing both ways. But I refuse to be Switzerland for the same reason I refuse to eat "vegan cheese." Make up yer damn mind already.

So ahem.

I like a cream I can take on the road in a tube, spread it all over my sleepy-eyed visage, go at it with my cheap "I'm gonna forget this in a hotel room at some point" Omega synthetic brush, and have a good shave.

I like the smell of my TOBS Sandalwood and Cedarwood creams.

But a cream feels like a shortcut to me. And I ain't in this game for shortcuts.

If you're going to go on a spree, go whole hog, including the postage.

So it's soap. Obviously.

No vegan cheese.

Like many others here, I swing both ways. But I refuse to be Switzerland for the same reason I refuse to eat "vegan cheese." Make up yer damn mind already.

So ahem.

I like a cream I can take on the road in a tube, spread it all over my sleepy-eyed visage, go at it with my cheap "I'm gonna forget this in a hotel room at some point" Omega synthetic brush, and have a good shave.

I like the smell of my TOBS Sandalwood and Cedarwood creams.

But a cream feels like a shortcut to me. And I ain't in this game for shortcuts.

If you're going to go on a spree, go whole hog, including the postage.

So it's soap. Obviously.

No vegan cheese.
Tell us how you really feel, LOL Still waiting on pics of where you placed the artwork, LOL

Still waiting on pics of where you placed the artwork, LOL

Well Dave, it's your thread, and since you invited me to hijack it, behold:

IMG_1034.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG

A little background: Dave "Santa" Skypsyd flooded my undeserving mailbox with Christmas goodies last December, including a new fountain pen, some blueberry candy canes, and the above shave-related artwork. The first 4 framed pictures are prints that I've installed in my "primary shave den." (Because we don't talk about toilet stuff here.) But the other four framed pieces (photos 2 and 3 above) are Dave's original photography. Installed in my "man cave" (Because dens are for bears) and my "secondary shave den." (Because we still don't talk about toilet stuff here.).

Sorry for my crappy photography. Trust me: This stuff is really cool looking. And I'm grateful to skypsyd for the terrific gifts.

Well Dave, it's your thread, and since you invited me to hijack it, behold:

View attachment 799906 View attachment 799907 View attachment 799908

A little background: Dave "Santa" Skypsyd flooded my undeserving mailbox with Christmas goodies last December, including a new fountain pen, some blueberry candy canes, and the above shave-related artwork. The first 4 framed pictures are prints that I've installed in my "primary shave den." (Because we don't talk about toilet stuff here.) But the other four framed pieces (photos 2 and 3 above) are Dave's original photography. Installed in my "man cave" (Because dens are for bears) and my "secondary shave den." (Because we still don't talk about toilet stuff here.).

Sorry for my crappy photography. Trust me: This stuff is really cool looking.
Awsome Charles, Glad you liked all the goodies and that the barber and shave photos found a good place in the "Hall of Shave Awesomness, LOL Thanks for supporting B&B Radio as well and being a part of this discussion, which is frankly turning into a blowout, LOL

All the people who answer the poll "correctly" will receive T-Shirts that say, "No Vegan Cheese" and a subscription to Linear Thinking Magazine.

All the people who answer the poll "correctly" will receive T-Shirts that say, "No Vegan Cheese" and a subscription to Linear Thinking Magazine.
LOL Thats Funny, also since my favorite soap is 100% Vegan and I would stack it against any tallow soap on the market, HEHE

LOL. Hey, soap can be made from any fat. There's nothing special about tallow for the process of saponification.

But cheese, oh man, don't get me started on fake cheese.

Having come out strongly in favor of soaps (and against communist infiltration of our precious cheese supply), I'm just worried about all the great creams I have to get rid of now. I like 'em. Can you make a decent smoothie out of them? Or should I hide them and deny I ever knew them?

Having come out strongly in favor of soaps (and against communist infiltration of our precious cheese supply), I'm just worried about all the great creams I have to get rid of now. I like 'em. Can you make a decent smoothie out of them? Or should I hide them and deny I ever knew them?
If they are in the tubes, get a canvas and your brushes out and paint Dave a new wall hanger for his den! :lol:

And vegan cheese?!?!?!?! That just even sounds disgusting......... :eek:

If they are in the tubes, get a canvas and your brushes out and paint Dave a new wall hanger for his den! :lol:

"Dave" is just his radio name. He was born Pablo Prorasso in a small village in Umbria called Titignano, where he learned to paint at the age of 4 with a donkey's tail dipped in the local red wine. Little known fact.

But seriously on two points:

1. I like creams. For traveling, I prefer them. It just took me a while to learn how to use them. It's a work in progress, but some days I prefer them even at home. They're a bit easier. I think my preference for soaps is mostly that I know them better. Familiarity makes comfort.

2. You should see in person the photos Dave did and gave me for Christmas. Professional Madison Avenue quality still life shots of top shelf shaving products in black and white. Really nice. I'm pleased to display them and grateful to Dave for his generosity.

Top Bottom