What's new

AutoStrop/Valet Razors: A Typology in 13 Parts

D

dangerousrazor

My Autostrop shares all the character with VB2 except a hinged door. It has a roller bar guide, nicer handle and is plated with silver. It has a friction slot so I use it with a modified Gem blade.

Some may think it might be fitted with a wrong handle, but the head is also coated with silver plating so I guess it was made that way originally.

1575279030520.jpg
1575279055705.jpg
1575279130270.jpg
1575279156979.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Autostrop shares all the character with VB2 except a hinged door. It has a roller bar guide, nicer handle and is plated with silver. It has a friction slot so I use it with a modified Gem blade.

Some may think it might be fitted with a wrong handle, but the head is also coated with silver plating so I guess it was made that way originally.

View attachment 1040853View attachment 1040854View attachment 1040855View attachment 1040856
The razor is a VB1 and it would depend which set the razor was sold in originally. Different sets had different handles and finishes from silver to sterling silver or gold. What makes that razor interesting from a collectors standpoint is the comb. Either that razor is pieced together from various razors or that is a transition piece. The tabs that hold the blade on the comb are the style that is used on C model razors and not known to have been used on B models. With that said if it is a transition piece then it most likely was made in early to mid 1922.

Last edited:
D

dangerousrazor

The razor is a VB1 and it would depend which set the razor was sold in originally. Different sets had different handles and finishes from silver to sterling silver or gold. What makes that razor interesting from a collectors standpoint is the comb. Either that razor is pieced together from various razors or that is a transition piece. The tabs that hold the blade on the comb are the style that is used on C model razors and not known to have been used on B models. With that said if it is a transition piece then it most likely was made in early to mid 1922.

Thanks for the detailed comments. I've seen a few like mine sold at Ebay. so possibly I guess it is a transition model which Waits omitted in his great book.

What model is the million dollar razor? And can it use feather blades?

The VB2 was originally sold as the million dollar razor. All the Auto strop razors regardless of variant can use a Feather FHS-10 stainless, Feather FAS-10 carbon steel and if you can find them for sale the KAI E39-7C carbon steel also known as the KAI best blades.

View attachment 1040853View attachment 1040854View attachment 1040855View attachment 1040856

My silver plated (surely not sterling?) VB1, purchased yesterday, looks the same. One blade stop now missing. Kit included box with pivoting strop holder, strop in good condition, blade holder, price tag and guarantee. One rusty blade mounted. Handle does not detach. Shaved with a despined Gem this morning. I need more practice.

836BD32A-3D5D-4D88-9713-D883DCBB51AC.jpeg

275C46AA-683D-4823-9817-EF5088DAEF31.jpeg

A7CE9DD2-D795-4AD4-AE76-339237E72C1C.jpeg

35286092-EFEA-45FD-8D12-4446195E44A8.jpeg

4372ABBD-73F5-4FA2-88FC-5CFCBA6E0B7C.jpeg

Can anyone ID my valets - cant find them above...

Attachments

• valet 1.jpg
    valet 1.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 28
  • valet 2.jpg
    valet 2.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 26
  • valet 3.jpg
    valet 3.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 24
I’m not an expert (@Komboloi retired? @Flintstone65 help!), but...

Yours appear to be VC2 (or perhaps VB2). You have a nice selection of the different blade punch patterns that AutoStrop used to prevent competitors from selling compatible blades. Blade punching to secure patent claims was a key Gaisman tactic, so your set is a great illustration of the maneuvering that led to the Gillette/AutoStrop merger.

The tab on the side of the blade door indicates your razors are either VB2 and VC2. The slightly plainer “Valet” stamping on the door looks like the VC2 shown above. If the strop guide on the back of the head is a fixed guide the razor is a VC2. If the guide is a roller, it’s a VB2.

I’m just going on what I read in this thread, so none of this is based on my own expertise (which is nonexistant!).

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I tend to agree with @Tanuki -- VB2 / VC2 based on the blade door tab and perhaps the stamping. My expertise, such at it is, is really confined to early models. I don't use/collect the later Autostrops with the "punches" for the proprietary blade, mostly because I just don't want to use the Feather Valet blades and I don't often use vintage blades. The earlier models allow for the use of a modified Gem Blade, and since I have a lot of those blades, I tend towards the A1, A2, B1, B2, VB1 and VC1 models. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

These are really nice razors. If you haven't tried them yet, you may want to pick up a Feather Valet (or find some NOS Valet blades) and give them a shave. I've got all of the earlier models (except for the A2), and I really like how they shave with the Gem blades.

It looks a lot like mine, which I THINK is a VC3. I can't swear to that though, just what I turned up in my search. I use a Feather FHS10 blade in it.
20200430_080642.jpg

Yeah except for the last two months I have been thinking my razor was a VC3? And I have the book! I feel dumb right now.
MyEmoji_190323_162034_47.gif

Here is another B model not listed in the Typology. It is the same razor head as the B1, B2, VB1 but the blade holder says Valet on it. It was also made sometime after mid 1922. You can tell by the blade stops which are the same as what you see on the Type VB1 models made from mid to late 1922 onward before they introduced the VC1 in 1923.
vb3.jpgvb3a.jpg

Last edited:
It looks a lot like mine, which I THINK is a VC3. I can't swear to that though, just what I turned up in my search. I use a Feather FHS10 blade in it.
View attachment 1095511
Im trying to identify this Valet. It kind of looks like your VC2 in some ways, and a little (not quite) like my V2B in others. It’s all brass. It’s the cutout “valet” on the swing out gat that’s confusing me.
Sorry about the blurry pics. If anyone needs a better shot for identification purposes, just ask.
Every time I think I’ve got this one figured out, some small aspect of it doesn’t quite fit.
8CCEBC94-E953-47F1-8D0B-29D3F637C327.jpeg

88EF9BFB-B22C-4730-B50A-0A70BC8930B9.jpeg

61F93134-E5A0-4641-8C27-FE01F05FE783.jpeg

Cleaned it up a little.
6ABB8ACA-8859-49FB-B26A-068B0B705768.jpeg

Last edited:
Im trying to identify this Valet. It kind of looks like your VC2 in some ways, and a little (not quite) like my V2B in others. It’s all brass. It’s the cutout “valet” on the swing out gat that’s confusing me.
Sorry about the blurry pics. If anyone needs a better shot for identification purposes, just ask.
Every time I think I’ve got this one figured out, some small aspect of it doesn’t quite fit.
View attachment 1148741
View attachment 1148742
View attachment 1148743

Isn't the VB/VC difference all about roller vs bar at the back of the head to guide the strop? Weren't the particular cut outs variable?

I’ve been studying all the Autostrops on eBay. I think it may be a 2C, but there are so many different variation. I found one exactly like mine only listed as new million dollar razor. Many variation in the million dollar line, but they never mention which model it is. Not even on the box.
I’m kinda thinking Valet was running rampant with variants. If not I can show you fifty different models on eBay alone.

I think this was one of my best finds on eBay. It was newly posted for bid, but had a buy it now option that was ridiculously low. I was lucky to get the jump on it.

Silver Plated Autostrop case

56453F7B-0C73-4C21-AC59-293D7462410E.jpeg

VB1 Valet Autostrop and accessories...all silver plated.

4479C3BD-2865-4772-BDB9-3391E0C42F2A.jpeg

Even though it is a VB1 it has a VB2 handle
8D340FF0-38DF-455D-ACD6-101A42F2C8F9.jpeg

The original strop has never been opened and is still in its original wrapping paper.
DDED19EB-ACE5-41CC-A9BB-DC4124289D76.jpeg

A full blade holder of wrapped Valet blades.
67600C96-39AA-4E0A-A71E-9B4A59A4F21D.jpeg

I’ve since opened the strop packaging. The strop is in pristine factory shape, but a little stiff as it’s been folded up for ninety years. I purchased some mink oil to give it a nourishing treatment.

Beautiful find! That is picture perfect. The models are about the head design, not the handles. The handles (and plating) varied by the price tier.

You have a top end AutoStrop VB1 there, like mine (see above), but basically NOS, minus maybe a shave or two. Different case is all (and condition :001_wub:). Plus the nearly(?) full set of wrapped blades! I just got the one blade that was mounted.

Post some photos once you have the strop loosened up.

Wow I thought mine was in good shape. Thank the op for this thread. I used this information to find the one I used. Today with a feather spineless razor. Very good shave.

Top Bottom